LegacyGT.com

Convince me - 2.5i vs. VW GLI

Sherman8r44

2.5 N/A Vs. GLI?:lol: As an ex MKV GTI owner, I say go for the GLI of those two. You will be much happier, I have driven both. The GLI is faster, handles much better, looks excellent, did I mention it will run circles all day long around the legacy? It gets excellent fuel economy, the fit and finish is awesome. Yea, it's a VW and has it's quirks, but all cars do. I really could go on and on all day, but im tired right now If you have any questions just ask. As for insurance on them, it's surprisingly very cheap, even for a young'n. Also, dont let VWs past history scare you. The MKV is a much more reliable than past VWs, not to mention the fact that for 2009 engines are now TFSI rather than FSI. Some of the biggest benefits are no more timing belt, there is a timing chain. No more timing belt driven water pump there is a serp belt driven pump. No more filter cartridges or housing. No more broken breather valves, no more intake runner motor faults, no more broken diverter valves. New fuel pump setup. Oh the new improvements! Plus VW was offering FREE scheduled maintainace on 2009 vehicles. Are they still doing it?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey all, first post. Let me introduce myself...I've been a pistonhead for the last 17 of my 19 years on earth, I'm in college, and I'm lucky enough that my parents will be buying me a brand new car in the coming few months. I want a manual tranny, fun-to-drive car with personality.

After parental bans on some cars and lots of test driving, I've narrowed down my choices to the MT Volkswagen GLI and MT Subaru Legacy 2.5i. Despite reliability concerns, a higher price, and a hideous protruding posterior, I'm leaning toward the GLI. The engine, suspension, and Godly steering wheel really got to me on the test drive.

I know this a GT-focused forum, but convince me to buy the Legacy 2.5i! :) Or just post whatever opinion you have.

P.S. Do any of you tall Legacy drivers find that the seating position is too high? That was a big negative in my book...but then again I only spent 10 minutes in the car.

Without knowing if you are in the snowbelt AWD may or may not be a plus.

Asuming it is, Impreza 5 door. Cheap, AWD, lighter, faster, tons of cheap WRX cast-off parts available. Not pretty, but they are really inexpensive right now. Much better reliability/durability than VW. But please do not out put STi badges all over it. Replacing the rear chrome trim strip with the WRX body-color panel and the sport grille would be low-cost cosmetic improvements. Seems to have more headroom than Legacy with the seat all the way down: much more with sunroof.

And you'd be about middle-aged on NASIOC:lol: so that's a better place to ask this question.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Without knowing if you are in the snowbelt AWD may or may not be a plus.

Asuming it is, Impreza 5 door. Cheap, AWD, lighter, faster, tons of cheap WRX cast-off parts available. Not pretty, but they are really inexpensive right now. Much better reliability/durability than VW. But please do not out put STi badges all over it. Replacing the rear chrome trim strip with the WRX body-color panel and the sport grille would be low-cost cosmetic improvements. Seems to have more headroom than Legacy with the seat all the way down: much more with sunroof.

And you'd be about middle-aged on NASIOC:lol: so that's a better place to ask this question.

Reading > VioletVaGina :rolleyes:

He already told us that he is from LI, but will be going to school in Atlanta - and stated that he will have no need for AWD.

I think an 08 WRX or an an 09 Imp GT would be perfect for you, they're not scary fast, but they are sporty. Dont worry abou the squishiness of the suspension, that can be easily fixed without voiding any warranty.

Have a look at the Impreza, despite what people say it is a very good car. A friend of mine bought an 08 2.5i Imp n I was very impressed.

there are so many cars out there... seems odd it was narrowed down to GLI and the 2.5i.

I couldn't agree more. The choice of the two cars seems odd to me when your folks are willing to spend in the mid-$20K range, you don't need AWD and you want some fun. I'd be looking at a Civic SI coupe, Altima coupe or maybe a Mustang (6-cylinder to satisfy the 'rents). I chose the 2.5i Limited because I wanted all the amenities, good economy, AWD, decent handling and durability in a modestly-priced car that I'm not ashamed to drive. But I'm 58 and I drive a Porsche for fun on the weekends. At your age, I was bombing around in a Mustang fastback. Based on your requirements and the money you have to spend, I'd skip both the VW and Subaru 2.5i SE and go for something else. Your peers -- especially the women -- might consider that model Subie to be an old man's car (sorry if I offend anyone on here) and the VW -- with turbo, premium gas and questionable reliability and service --seems to involve too many potential hassles. (I drove a rental Jetta recently and was shocked that it handled and stopped like a piece of junk.)

IMHO, you should cast the net a little wider.

f1, on the 2005 there were incomplete NHTSA ratings so the calculator has to assume "average" ratings for the rest, and, as you pointed out, the IIHS gave it a Marginal for side impact (probably because of the seat belt). Use the calculator towards the right of the page and you'll see how they do the ratings.

Mustang is RWD, so no go in the snow (plus if I'm getting a V6 Stang might as well have my balls cut off, too). Altima coupe was on the list but way too pedestrian; they're everywhere. Civic Si is a decent contender, but the 'rents think it's too light...plus, head-to-head I'd rather have a GTI/GLI. I ain't no torqueless ricer.

Sounds like his parents have narrowed it down pretty good for him already.

FOr a kid his age too, you have to factor in monthly insurance. anythig too sporty or known too well for being a high theft vehicle will sky-rocket his insurance.

A WRX driven by a 19 year old single male? Forget it!:lol:

Up here it's over 300.00 per month, basically because they know it's just a matter of time before you wrap it around a tree.:redface:

I had an 07 2.5i

Great car, got rear ended hard. ZERO protrusion into the passenger cabin. (How's that for safety?)

I now have an 08 GT. It's freaking sweet.

If you're looking at a manual, the 2.5i Limited isn't bad at all, you still get good power distribution (50/50 front rear power split), just a lot less of it than the GT. You can also do suspension mods to make the thing handle really well, as it takes all the same components.

I'm biased, as I would not drive a German car, but overall, I think you'll be happy in a 2.5i manual. (Although MUCH happier in the GT)

/Isn't gas cheap again?

If you're looking at a manual, the 2.5i Limited isn't bad at all, you still get good power distribution (50/50 front rear power split), just a lot less of it than the GT. You can also do suspension mods to make the thing handle really well, as it takes all the same components.

I'm biased, as I would not drive a German car, but overall, I think you'll be happy in a 2.5i manual. (Although MUCH happier in the GT)

The Limited doesn't come with a manual. On the NA models, you can only get it on the base or SE, so he'd lose out on leather, auto climate control, etc., but he'd also be paying less. However, I believe the engine, wheels and suspension are the same on all three.

Mustang is RWD, so no go in the snow (plus if I'm getting a V6 Stang might as well have my balls cut off, too).

No offense intended, but if your parents are pushing you toward a 2.5i SE, you might want to look down and make sure they haven't been cut off already. If you can't take a Ford V6 (good engines; had one in my Mazda Tribute), I'm not sure you're going to be happy with a 170-hp flat four. Seriously, I love my NA Legacy but you should go for something that's more fun at your age. All this discussion tells me that the 'rents should let you have an LGT for the combination of sport, safety and reliability.

I know i talked about being realistic and getting what suites your needs but I got my Performance VW magizine today and theres a MKV Gli in it with 380whp on dsg(I'm still drooling). Its so sick I would have to say that it could have only been conceaved by God or chuck norris. If tuneability is what your looking for get the dub over the 2.5i. I don't understand why your parents won't get you a slightly used car cause ive seen them go for 15-20K with realatively low miles on the vw forums.

My .02 but good luck with whatever you guys decide!

I can't even imagine not having a turbo anymore... between my GT and my Girl's F-XT I have turbo Subie goodness everytime I drive somewhere. if the v6 mustang is boring to you, the 2.5i will be disappointing as well.

I am 23 and have a less than perfect driving record. the insurance on my 05LGT is only slightly more than $100 a month. I was quoted 2300 a year on a used WRX, about a grand more annually. I also picked up the 05 for less than $20,000 with only 30,000 miles and 5 year warranty.

Archived