LegacyGT.com

Request Legacy STI from SOA

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What really bugs me is that Subaru did release a Legacy R here... but it has the same HP and 30 less lb-ft of torque as the LGT, despite having a flat 6 with more displacement.

What was the point of that? The LGT is even cheaper! I would expect anything with an R tag to have at bare minimum 300 HP. Bah I say. Bah! 300+ HP in the Legacy, SOA. 300+.

All I can say is I tried the online poll/petition and failed.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66891&highlight=sti

Only about 4-5 people including myself said we'd pony up for one. I think I was pretty realistic as to what and how Subie might have done it and price. Way to many people said its not enough stuff, or we want more colors, or I could build mine better for cheaper. A larger precentage said they'd get a 335i for that price range. Needless to say I can now see why Subie won't bring it here. Kinda of disappointing too, cause I really like the way the Austrialian one looks (other then right hand drive).

All I can say is I tried the online poll/petition and failed.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66891&highlight=sti

Only about 4-5 people including myself said we'd pony up for one.

Im not gonna lie, I wouldnt buy one nor would I buy a WRX STi. Don't have the cash and Its another 4 years until my insurance rates come down since I am young.

I do think that a Legacy STi would catch some attention from people seeking out S4s, 335xis. etc. especially if the cost were lower.

What stutter problem? I mean SOA doesn't think it actually exists. Except my car does it too. Where's the petition?

Again I was trying to be somewhat realistic as to how SOA would approach bringing a LGT Sti. Basically take the existing LGT tuned by Sti that Japan and Austrialia get, make it left hand drive and put the Wrx Sti powertrain in it along with some other cost/price saving options such as making nav optional. The overwhelming voice was get a stripped out 335i instead. Yeah I'd personally take the LGT Sti over the BMW for multiple reasons. I just don't see it happening until maybe this bodies life cycle is about over. Even then its highly doubtful especially since things like the 3.0r and the spec B aren't flying off of showroom floors.

The 3.0R is in a different more competitive market, and a lot of people will give up all wheel drive to save money, have more power and get better fuel economy, those people also do not car about the suspension, lsd, etc of the 3.0R. This is why camrys, corollas, accords, civics and even jettas and passats, can sell all day long.

Most people just cannot justify the extra cost of a spec.b over a gt, especially when they are going to be replacing a lot of the parts anyways. Unless you want coilovers, the bilsteins are great, and I don't see any spec.b transmission or lsd swaps. so basically, you are left with some wheels and tires to replace. through in some extra styling, very nice seats, nav standard, and i think subaru was in the right mindset when they made the spec.b and it is very much worth its price. too each his own though.

it would be nice if they brought over the tuned by sti, if I head right, canada will be getting them which means they will be built right here in the us. if they dropped the spec.b and the 3.0r, bring back the outback sedan (to replace the 3.0r), and built a (not to different) usdm version of the legacy tuned by sti in sedan and wagon trims (yes, in 6mt) they would have some buyers. the differences in a jdm gt vs. a jdm spec.b is not much different, and you can buy all the parts without spending a fortune (ok, 6k - 8k is a lot) but being able to roll off the lot in one with a warranty would be very nice indeed, but I wouldn't want to roll out of the dealer in a 2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT spec.B "tuned by STi" get stutter the first time I hit WOT.

The petition is here http://www.kristys.net/stewart/stutter/, carter will love you for putting another 08 in there if you get a case number.

Carter: You want to give me a email and phone number for contacting SoA, and I will put it on the thank you page of the stutter petition.

it would be nice if they brought over the tuned by sti,

Based on discussions on Nabisco a couple of months ago: Pay attention at SEMA in November. Rumors of Legacy & Outback "tuned by STI" models, and possible ECU massaging.

I was also at my dealer a week ago, and they have a Forester Sport with STI spoiler, STI front lip and STI wheels. Sales manager says it's a prelude to a full STI Forester.

Good stuff's coming, you just have to be a little patient.

Well actually if you read the begining of this thread (05) guys were talking about bringing back the 3.0 and maybe them making a 3.0R car..

Even if it is a "tuned by Sti" car without a power increase its just a spec B with a body kit. Even I can't justify trading in my 08 for say a slightly upgraded car with maybe 10-15 extra hp. They'd have to make a noticable increase otherwise it would be a AP2 instead of taking another depreciation hit. Trust me I'd do it if it was the Wrx Sti powertrain, but 10-15hp won't cut it for me.

I am not one to bloat on speculation, subaru does seem to be more hish hush than ever now days, but a usdm legacy tuned by sti just doesn't make sense. if it were true I would be happy because then I can get my parts local and cheap(er), so come fall we will see. if it were a new model then the model code would already be out and the cover would be blown.so its either an option package to the spec.b or maybe the unveiling of the new sti.

Well actually if you read the begining of this thread (05) guys were talking about bringing back the 3.0 and maybe them making a 3.0R car..

Even if it is a "tuned by Sti" car without a power increase its just a spec B with a body kit. Even I can't justify trading in my 08 for say a slightly upgraded car with maybe 10-15 extra hp. They'd have to make a noticable increase otherwise it would be a AP2 instead of taking another depreciation hit. Trust me I'd do it if it was the Wrx Sti powertrain, but 10-15hp won't cut it for me.

Spec B with body kit is not what you get with our tuned by sti model here in australia! Brembos, Enkei Wheels, Pirelli Tires...pretty good bolt ons that aren't cheap by themselves. Ecu has been tuned well, better than anything else I have had from Suby out of the box, including MY06 WRX STI I owned previously.

The Liberty GT tuned by STi includes:

• Increased power now up to 194kW (260 HP) with a new STI Engine Control Unit tested and developed by STI for Australian conditions
  • Increased torque for improved responsiveness through the rev range
  • 12 spoke 18” STI ENKEI alloy wheels with Pirelli P-Zero Rosso tyres
  • Enhanced STI aerodynamics package including STI front lip spoiler and rear spoiler
  • Limited edition badges with STI insignia, on engine cover and boot lid
  • Manual transmission vehicles feature an STI short shift gear lever, for smooth, crisp gear changes
  • Dual low back-pressure STI twin tip mufflers for a throaty exhaust note
  • STI Brembo performance brakes upgrade including STI stainless mesh brake hoses
  • Sporty black leather with embroidered STI stitching interior trim with red luminescent instrument cluster

I am not one to bloat on speculation, subaru does seem to be more hish hush than ever now days, but a usdm legacy tuned by sti just doesn't make sense. if it were true I would be happy because then I can get my parts local and cheap(er), so come fall we will see. if it were a new model then the model code would already be out and the cover would be blown.so its either an option package to the spec.b or maybe the unveiling of the new sti.

According to a couple of sources at Nabisco:

Model codes:

8AZ - Legacy

8DZ - Outback

8 - designates model year '08

A - Legacy

D - Outback

Z - designates top of the line (above Spec.B and 3.0R)

At the time (two months ago), those codes were not officially published to the public, but were already assigned internally at SOA.

Spec B with body kit is not what you get with our tuned by sti model here in australia! Brembos, Enkei Wheels, Pirelli Tires...pretty good bolt ons that aren't cheap by themselves. Ecu has been tuned well, better than anything else I have had from Suby out of the box, including MY06 WRX STI I owned previously.

The Liberty GT tuned by STi includes:

• Increased power now up to 194kW (260 HP) with a new STI Engine Control Unit tested and developed by STI for Australian conditions
  • Increased torque for improved responsiveness through the rev range
  • 12 spoke 18” STI ENKEI alloy wheels with Pirelli P-Zero Rosso tyres
  • Enhanced STI aerodynamics package including STI front lip spoiler and rear spoiler
  • Limited edition badges with STI insignia, on engine cover and boot lid
  • Manual transmission vehicles feature an STI short shift gear lever, for smooth, crisp gear changes
  • Dual low back-pressure STI twin tip mufflers for a throaty exhaust note
  • STI Brembo performance brakes upgrade including STI stainless mesh brake hoses
  • Sporty black leather with embroidered STI stitching interior trim with red luminescent instrument cluster

Don't forget the STI springs, sway bars, and strut tower brace.

If they do a STI model, I hope they make a 5EAT option for use slowmatic folks. :)

If I remember correctly, the Outback tuned by STI shown in Japan some time ago was a 3.0R with 5EAT. That doesn't necessarily indicate that's what we'll get, but there is that possibility. The Legacy tuned by STI will most likely have the 6MT.

If I remember correctly, the Outback tuned by STI shown in Japan some time ago was a 3.0R with 5EAT. That doesn't necessarily indicate that's what we'll get, but there is that possibility. The Legacy tuned by STI will most likely have the 6MT.

meh, another manual-only vehicle in a market which mostly only sells automatics. Hey, if there is one company who caters to enthusiasts - gotta give it to Subaru for making manuals in their vehicles when many of the other automakers have completely abandoned even offering them as an option.

Archived