LegacyGT.com

Request Legacy STI from SOA

People keep mentioning getting a H6 turbo. Sorry, but that would only further delay us getting a LGT Sti for all the emissions testing it would have to go through. Then the crash testing, etc. We already have the 2.5 turbo in our cars, they already have a 300hp engine set up in another car. All they would need to do is get the fuel mileage rating done and you'd be in business (yes I know I am over simplifying it). It would be cheaper for Subie to do it that way right now. If they sell enough of them, I could see them swapping to a H6 turbo, but with the car market the way it is it just doesn't make sense to build a completely new powertrain (yes I know it does exist, but was in a concept stage). Not only that, but everyone here knows you can squeeze more power out of the Wrx Sti engine so its not like you are maxed at 300hp and thats it.

This is why I've maintained that we won't see a turbo H6 until 2010 (at the earliest), because of all the things you mentioned. Since in 2010 the Legacy is moving to the Tribeca platform, they would have to go through all the crash testing, emissions testing, etc. all over again for the new platform, they might as well throw the new engine in too so they don't have to go through a separate process for that later.

We'll get the Legacy tuned by STI for '08 & '09 with an ECU massage, and sales of those units may determine whether or not they offer a different engine for '10.

I predict that the Tribeca 3.6 will find its way into the Legacy for 2010, giving us a 3.6R. The turbo H6 may be wishful thinking, but a normally-aspirated 3.6 just makes sense, since the new Legacy will be slightly larger and heavier.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
we are more likely to get a Legacy TRD, or a Camry STi...

ROFL

Nah, didn't Toyota say they were taking a hands-off approach? They're collaborating on hybrids, and maybe diesels, but the drivetrains are so much different there can't be much cross-pollination. That's why the GM joint venture fell apart, GM figured out that they couldn't use much from Subaru (except make some SAABs), so it wasn't very advantageous. I think Toyota had a clearer vision of how to make it advantageous than GM did.

FHI should stop farting around and go after the big fancy German dogs in a serious way. Legacy STI should go after RS4 and M3. The turbo 3.0 or 3.6 H6 might be the way to do it.

Can't be all things to all people. FHI must decide who they want to go after: the plain vanilla low margin Camry/Accord market or the higher margin performance/luxury Audi/BMW market.

Right now they are pretty far from either one, both the volume and the cachet are too low. Tough place to be, Quirksville.... they have both the sensible shoes Volvo wannabee Democrats on one side and the Evo stalking speed freaks on the other.

The Legacy was a move to go upmarket, but they need to do MORE...

Archived