LegacyGT.com

Request Legacy STI from SOA

meh, another manual-only vehicle in a market which mostly only sells automatics. Hey, if there is one company who caters to enthusiasts - gotta give it to Subaru for making manuals in their vehicles when many of the other automakers have completely abandoned even offering them as an option.

I'm very glad they're offering manuals in the Legacy. The Outbacks seem to have gone completely automatic.

I wouldn't be surprised if, when they bring the STI Legacy w/ 6MT that they offer the 5EAT in the Spec.B. Just a guess, but it seems logical, unless they figure the 3.0R w/ 5EAT already has that covered.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think if they offer a Legacy STi in the US the Spec B will get the axe. You may see options or standard features from the SpecB available on a regular LGT (upgraded radio, funky color seats, nav, etc). Considering the Spec B offers what should come standard on the Legacy in the first place (sans Nav) I would bet that's what they would do. Subaru needs to be competitive in the market.

Spec B with body kit is not what you get with our tuned by sti model here in australia! Brembos, Enkei Wheels, Pirelli Tires...pretty good bolt ons that aren't cheap by themselves. Ecu has been tuned well, better than anything else I have had from Suby out of the box, including MY06 WRX STI I owned previously.

I did know there was more to the "tuned by Sti" LGT. I was giving more of the general additude toward the current US market spec B. I've heard it to many times about how someone could build it better (which may be true, but not still have the factory warranty). PLus iirc yourself or another person from australia saying that the "tuned by Sti" package is more of a port installed package then straight from the factory like that.

After seeing the June sales figures of Legacy vs Outback it does not seem to make a lot of sense to make the desired car.

Also I can only imagine beyond the slow sales of SpecB and LGT the Mazdaspeed 6 scares Subaru off from selling an STI Legacy in North America. The Mazdaspeed 6 has heavy incentives currently.

here is the complete parts list for the legacy tuned by sti (spec.b is the base model).

• STI front underspoiler
  • STI trunk spoiler (internal high-mount stop lamp) <B4>
  • STI 18x7.5 aluminum wheels
  • STI exclusive Bilstein dampers
  • STI exclusive strengthened low-down springs
  • STI front lower armbar
  • STI front strut tower bar
  • STI pillowball bush rear suspension link (toe control link, lower lateral link)
  • Brembo brakes (Front: 17" 4-pot / Rear: 17" 2-pot) (black)
  • STI stainless mesh brake hose
  • STI sports muffler (65mm dual x 2; STI logo)
  • Exclusive seats (seat position memory; 8-way power drivers seat) [Front STI logo, Alcantara/leather (black)]
  • Black interior [pillar trim, roof trim, rear gate trim (wagon)]
  • Exclusive electro-luminescent gauges (260km/h; STI logo)
  • Dark metal ornament
  • Black type leather wrapped AT select lever
  • "STI" ornament (rear)
  • Original Alcantara vehicle inspection proof

AFAIK, only the STS is available as an option on the spec.b for 06 and 08. You can buy it separately from the dealer though for any year. It is only a 20mm RSB, no front bar and that is a standard subaru part on all jdm legacy gt's, not sti. The dealer will not sell the springs, and if I remember right, they only have the spt and subaru strut tower bars at the dealer, not sti. All of the parts can be gotten from japanparts.com, but most are pretty expensive.

Like I said, I will be (pleasantly) surprised if they bring it over, I had not seen the 8AZ codes before. Also, there is no body kit on the legacy tuned by sti, just the front lip spoler and trunk spoiler. in japan there also is no ecu modifications, i would imagine the car would come here with the same usdm ecu they use in all the cars (stutter included).

After seeing the June sales figures of Legacy vs Outback it does not seem to make a lot of sense to make the desired car.

I thought from a sales stand point - it pays to make a hotted up ultra sport top of the line model that gets everyone excited. It moves people into the showrooms, who while they might not be able to afford the top of the line model, they "settle" for a lesser model because they liked the top model so much in hopes that they will be able to trade up next time around.

Well, if they make the car that people actually desire, they will sell more. Not interested in the current Spec.B but would be at the dealer with a deposit within 24 hours of a real (performance enhanced) Legacy STi announcement.

here is the complete parts list for the legacy tuned by sti (spec.b is the base model).

• STI front underspoiler
  • STI front lower armbar
  • STI pillowball bush rear suspension link (toe control link, lower lateral link)
  • Exclusive seats (seat position memory; 8-way power drivers seat) [Front STI logo, Alcantara/leather (black)]
  • Black interior [pillar trim, roof trim, rear gate trim (wagon)]
  • Exclusive electro-luminescent gauges (260km/h; STI logo)
  • Dark metal ornament
  • Black type leather wrapped AT select lever
  • "STI" ornament (rear)
  • Original Alcantara vehicle inspection proof

Don't forget the 14 speaker 300watt Macintosh audio system... (or is that an "option" that we don't get from SOA?) :spin::icon_cry:

Don't forget the 14 speaker 300watt Macintosh audio system... (or is that an "option" that we don't get from SOA?) :spin::icon_cry:

We'll never see that. SOA seems to think nobody wants it. Maybe we need to start pestering them to bring it.

the new stereo in the legacy was a step in the right direction, the new stereo in the new imprezas is a huge leap in the right direction. i think subaru is finally coming to their senses in that department. no we will never get the mcintosh, and no that is not specific to the tuned by sti, you can get that stereo as an upgrade in ant jdm gt or spec.b. that parts list is using a jdm legacy 2.0gt spec.b as the base, so anything cool the jdm gt and spec.b get that we don't get in our usdm gt and spec.b are not included.

lets clear two things up here. it is a "tuned by sti" not a "legacy sti". second, and there is no "tuning", it is not a "performance enhanced" version of the legacy any more than the current usdm spec.b is over the current usdm gt. it is a spec.b with even better suspension, wheels, brakes, tires, and extra styling, it is just parts added to the standard spec.b from the sti catalog. it appears as if australia might have gotten a au tuned ecu (which makes sense), and if it came here it would get a usdm tuned ecu. they are different engines anyhow.

if it does come here, i would imagine it to have the same re050a's and the same ecu (and maps) and 6-disc mp3/srs wow stereo as the current usdm 3.0r spec.b and 2.5gt spec.b. if any of those changed i would be even more surprised than them bringing it here in the first place.

every one knocks the spec.b as a pos not worth the money, but begs for a "legacy sti" that does not exist. there are still 07's on the lot and apparently only 342 made. how can they justify another addition to the lineup, if anything they would drop the spec.b and bring the "tuned by sti" as a 2009 model. but if you guys hate the spec.b why would you be all over a legacy "tuned by sti", sure it is still a better car, but only marginally better than the current spec.b which is only marginally better than the gt. would you pay $40k for it?, i didn't think so. you can build a spec.b tuned by sti yourself and keep your warranty, because the only thing your going to be changing is the wheels, tires, and suspension.

of the list, these are the performance parts added, everything else is just styling or adding a sti logo to the existing parts.

• STI front underspoiler
  • STI front lower armbar

seems like the same mods everyone here does already to their gt's and spec.b's with either the same, or better aftermarket parts. its not like its hitting stage 2 of the dealers showroom floor. the sti exhaust has a nice tone, but it's more for looks than power.

After trying to start a thread to open SOA's eyes about this very matter I have to say I completely agree with stewartg's statement. Spec B's haven't been flying off of the dealer lots ever. Why would think about bringing something else to the table especially since they just released the new Impreza to mixed reviews.

After trying to start a thread to open SOA's eyes about this very matter I have to say I completely agree with stewartg's statement. Spec B's haven't been flying off of the dealer lots ever. Why would think about bringing something else to the table especially since they just released the new Impreza to mixed reviews.

Spec.B's haven't been flying off the lots because it's not what people want. I don't presume to know what everyone wants, but I want a Legacy with better performance. Don't care whether you call it "Legacy STi"; "Legacy Tuned by STi" or "Legacy OMGHI2U".

Just put the Impreza STi engine/drivetrain in the current Spec.B and I'll be at the dealer with a deposit.

Spec B's haven't been flying off of the dealer lots ever. Why would think about bringing something else to the table especially since they just released the new Impreza to mixed reviews.

When have you ever seen a Spec B commercial? Ya give a little, you might just get a little.

Spec.B's haven't been flying off the lots because it's not what people want. I don't presume to know what everyone wants, but I want a Legacy with better performance. Don't care whether you call it "Legacy STi"; "Legacy Tuned by STi" or "Legacy OMGHI2U".

Just put the Impreza STi engine/drivetrain in the current Spec.B and I'll be at the dealer with a deposit.

As I've said in a few places on here I was originally going to get a Sti Limited cause it had the more adult feel with the Sti performance that I wanted. Things happened (to which I am still not 100% sure of the real truth) and the Sti Limited I was supposed to get never showed up. So the back up was a spec B which worked out better for me since my head hits the roof of a Wrx Limited (same sunroof and interior dimensions). Had there been a Lgt "tuned by Sti" or LGT Sti it would have been my first pick even over the Sti Limited. Hell if the numbers work out right and they do come out with one (with added power) I might be crazy enough to get one even though I just got a 08 spec B.

I don't think I've ever seen even a Legacy commercial let alone a spec B commercial.

BTW never go from driving a RS4 back to a LGT. YOu'll be wondering where the power went. MEssed me up for a couple of days.

*cough* Spec B *cough*

They are not the same, the Spec B has no DCCD [driver controlled center diff.], front limited slip diff. & has diffent gearing. That why I'm doing the STi 6MT swap.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

That is the part no one seems to get. It's still the same engine, with the same tune and the same drivetrain, just just get upgraded suspension, brakes, wheels and tires. It's the same package as the spec.b, just a little bit better. If they can't sell a spec.b, they cant sell a sti parts model for even more money. No one here would complain if the lgt came with 300 hp, and soon it will, thats evolution. but a tuned by sti model is the exact same engine and drivetrain as the lgt spec.b.

As I've said in a few places on here I was originally going to get a Sti Limited cause it had the more adult feel with the Sti performance that I wanted. Things happened (to which I am still not 100% sure of the real truth) and the Sti Limited I was supposed to get never showed up. So the back up was a spec B which worked out better for me since my head hits the roof of a Wrx Limited (same sunroof and interior dimensions). Had there been a Lgt "tuned by Sti" or LGT Sti it would have been my first pick even over the Sti Limited. Hell if the numbers work out right and they do come out with one (with added power) I might be crazy enough to get one even though I just got a 08 spec B.

I don't think I've ever seen even a Legacy commercial let alone a spec B commercial.

BTW never go from driving a RS4 back to a LGT. YOu'll be wondering where the power went. MEssed me up for a couple of days.

I bought a Impreza 2.5rs in Jan 2000, since then I longed for the day I could have a Impreza STI, well crap happens and I got rid of the impreza and drove a tercel, then a 4runner. Now that I could go car shopping again and having had driven sti's before, it was the first car on my list, but then I saw the spec.b and drooled over it for nearly a year, then the 07 spec.b came out and I knew my car. I drove it side by side with the impreza sti and not a day goes bye that i am unhappy with my decision to go with the legacy, it is just a much better car even if it costs more than a sti limited.

we just ordered a new impreza yesterday, and those things have came a long way, again, i drove a impreza and legacy side by side, i still liked the legacy better, but my wife couldn't see the blind spots when she drove it, the impreza fit her much better. it is a nice car overall and has come a long way, even now that it is built on a legacy platform and drives the same, its interior and build quality still suffer like all generations before it.

They are not the same, the Spec B has no DCCD [driver controlled center diff.], front limited slip diff. & has diffent gearing. That why I'm doing the STi 6MT swap.

Mike

Are you joking??? I hope you're talking about the 5spd in the 06 SB. The 07's tranny is EXACTLY the same as an STI, but 5th and 6th are slightly taller. I know people that plan on swapping the 07 SB tranny into their racing STI's. There is no way in hell I'd spend the money to put a 6spd STI tranny in a SB.

the Spec B has no DCCD [driver controlled center diff.]

Honestly, the only time I really used the DCCD feature was in deep snow at 50/50 (taking off from a straight line). For about 99% of the time, the computer is faster/smarter than us. ;)

-Mike-

Archived