LegacyGT.com

Request Legacy STI from SOA

I will laugh mighty hard if this November Subaru releases the Legacy STI in wagon form only - that would be irony in spades. And, if it came in WR Blue, 5MT and 5EAT w/ some added HP, beefed up suspension, and two tone interior like the '07 Spec B - I think I might have found my next car.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you joking??? I hope you're talking about the 5spd in the 06 SB. The 07's tranny is EXACTLY the same as an STI, but 5th and 6th are slightly taller. I know people that plan on swapping the 07 SB tranny into their racing STI's. There is no way in hell I'd spend the money to put a 6spd STI tranny in a SB.[/Quote]

AKLGT will beg to differ. Like I said, I drove them side by side, and the spec.b does have a lighter clutch and shifts felt a bit smoother, my understanding was that they have different synchros. The 08 sti tranny might be beefed up a bit more in comparison to the spec.b as she states, but I don't believe everything I read on the internet, especially when it comes from tuners or is relayed by a chick (from a crappy tuner, imho) that thinks the sti is best car ever made, about as bad as vimy is on the b.

of the list, these are the performance parts added, everything else is just styling or adding a sti logo to the existing parts.

• STI front underspoiler
  • STI trunk spoiler (internal high-mount stop lamp) <B4>
  • STI 18x7.5 aluminum wheels
  • STI exclusive Bilstein dampers
  • STI exclusive strengthened low-down springs
  • STI front lower armbar
  • STI front strut tower bar
  • STI pillowball bush rear suspension link (toe control link, lower lateral link)
  • Brembo brakes (Front: 17" 4-pot / Rear: 17" 2-pot) (black)
  • STI stainless mesh brake hose
  • STI sports muffler (65mm dual x 2; STI logo)

seems like the same mods everyone here does already to their gt's and spec.b's with either the same, or better aftermarket parts. its not like its hitting stage 2 of the dealers showroom floor. the sti exhaust has a nice tone, but it's more for looks than power.

might want to add 18 x 7.5 Pirelli P Nero Rossi tires to the list. These babies grip well in the wet and once warm really hold there own in the dry. Cost of these is not cheap and tuned by sti owners in aust get 5 full size wheels and tires.

Honestly, the only time I really used the DCCD feature was in deep snow at 50/50 (taking off from a straight line). For about 99% of the time, the computer is faster/smarter than us. ;)

-Mike-

I agree with you there Mike, I played with dccd on MY06 STI but really was a something best left to the ecu to decide I thought. I don't miss it one bit but I do miss the shift light my old car came with. Other than that there is nothing missing for me with my Tuned by STI.

might want to add 18 x 7.5 Pirelli P Nero Rossi tires to the list. These babies grip well in the wet and once warm really hold there own in the dry. Cost of these is not cheap and tuned by sti owners in aust get 5 full size wheels and tires.

From what I understand those are very nice tires, I'm sure ours would come with re050's :(

That is the part no one seems to get. It's still the same engine, with the same tune and the same drivetrain, just just get upgraded suspension, brakes, wheels and tires. It's the same package as the spec.b, just a little bit better. If they can't sell a spec.b, they cant sell a sti parts model for even more money. No one here would complain if the lgt came with 300 hp, and soon it will, thats evolution. but a tuned by sti model is the exact same engine and drivetrain as the lgt spec.b.

You're completely missing the point. I don't want exactly the same engine/turbo/tune combination as a Spec.B. That's why I haven't bought one.

and you won't be putting anything down on a "legacy sti" with 320 bhp anytime soon either.

Nah, we can get close enough to that with the current engine and a few mods. I'm holding out for a turbo H6. If they came out with one tomorrow morning, I'd be down at the dealer with my down payment in hand, literally.

If they bring the Legacy tuned by STI in the spring as rumored, and it has 300hp or somewhere thereabouts, I'm holding off. If they don't sell well, I might do a sympathy buy just to let Subaru know we want more of that (but better), but I'm hoping they'll bring the goods in 2010.

You're completely missing the point. I don't want exactly the same engine/turbo/tune combination as a Spec.B. That's why I haven't bought one.

I agree. I like everything about the rumored "tuned by STI" except the fact that there's no performance increase. I'm just hoping that there will be enough buyers for it to warrant bringing more over the next couple years.

Are you joking??? I hope you're talking about the 5spd in the 06 SB. The 07's tranny is EXACTLY the same as an STI, but 5th and 6th are slightly taller. I know people that plan on swapping the 07 SB tranny into their racing STI's. There is no way in hell I'd spend the money to put a 6spd STI tranny in a SB.

I'm not joking, read below on the two 6MT's. The transaxles are not the same. That is all I'm saying. NO limited-slip front differential is one of the biggest difference.

Mike

Spec B

http://www.subaru.com/shop/specifications.jsp?model=LEGACY&trim=25GTSPECB&command=features

Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive http://www.subaru.com/sub/media/glossary/icon_2.jpg (AWD)

http://www.subaru.com/media/image/spacer.gif Continuous All-Wheel Drive: Models equipped with 6-speed manual transmission utilize a viscous-type locking center differential and a Torsenreg limited-slip rear differential with torque distribution normally configured at a 50/50-split front-to-rear. If wheel speed differs between front and rear axles, the system helps distribute power to the wheels with the most traction.

STi

http://www.subaru.com/shop/specifications.jsp?model=IMPREZAWRX&trim=STI&command=features

Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive http://www.subaru.com/sub/media/glossary/icon_2.jpg (AWD)

http://www.subaru.com/media/image/spacer.gif Driver Controlled Center Differential (DCCD) All-Wheel Drive: Exclusive to WRX STI models, Driver Controlled Center Differential (DCCD) All-Wheel Drive, featuring both manual and automatic modes, uses an electronically managed multiplate transfer clutch and a mechanical limited-slip differential in conjunction with a planetary gear-type center differential to control power distribution between the front and rear wheels. Normally, DCCD splits power 41% front and 59% rear. Sensors monitor parameters such as wheel slippage, steering angle, throttle position and braking to help determine torque distribution and direct it to the wheels with optimum traction. DCCD also features a helical-type limited-slip front differential and a Torsen® limited-slip rear differential.

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

and you won't be putting anything down on a "legacy sti" with 320 bhp anytime soon either.

Oh, and it's highly doubtful we'd see 320. I'm guessing maybe 276. It'd be a bonus if they tossed in a bigger turbo.

I've mentioned it before, here and on Nabisco, Subaru has had a running prototype of a turbo H6 in the B11S concept car in 2003 that put out 400 hp & 400 lb/ft of torque, though that was without any emissions equipment. Fully bogged with smog treatment should still get upwards of 350/350, which would be perfect. I'll take one, wrapped in a Legacy body w/ 6MT please.

take a look at the impreza wrx sti, impreza wrx sti spec.c, impreza wrx sti spec.c type ra and impreza wrx sti spec.c type ra-r.

they all have the same powerplant and drivetrain, the differences lie in the options of each. just as there is the impreza, wrx and sti, there is already a legacy, gt and spec.b. another addition to the family would be just different parts added to the same.

ok, there are minor exceptions to my analogy above, so you don't need 5 back-to-back posts to point them all out, but i think you get the idea.

the legacy is still subaru's flagship model worldwide, and i believe they are trying to reposition it in the market, first with the gt, then the spec.b, then no manual in wagons, then no wagons and a 3.0r spec.b. they are changing this line dramatically and at a very rapid pace. we will not be stuck with 250hp forever, but if you go throwing a h6 turbo into a awd auto, your going to be getting worse gas mileage than a hummer. i think 2010 sounds like a great target to expect a new powerplant which would probably be a 6-cyl turbo diesel with 300 - 320 bhp. as for now, and if, they bring it over, it is going to be 250. believe me, I would be more than happy to eat my words at sema.

In the early discussions of the "tuned by STI" Legacy, before Australia got theirs, we had already resigned ourselves to the fact that the Japanese-spec "tuned by STI" was an option package to the Japanese Spec.B, having the STI parts bin added to what was already in the Spec.B.

Later, when Australia got their "tuned by STI", they also got an ECU tune, which was apparently done in Australia, not Japan, but it raised the hope that we might get an ECU tune too.

In the discussion about three months ago on Nasioc, after the "tuned by STI" for US rumor was floated, there was also a rumor floated about an ECU massage, which gave us hope that we might get something more similar to Australia's tuned by STI than Japan's.

After those discussions, no more was revealed, so things have been rather quiet for the last two months or so, but, based on those rumors, we're expecting an ECU massage, which might net us a horsepower bump, but it's all rumor at this point.

So, if you go by the Japanese market - no power bump.

If you go by the Australian market - power bump.

If you lend credence to the rumor of an ECU massage for US announced at SEMA - power bump.

We'll just have to wait and see.

take a look at the impreza wrx sti, impreza wrx sti spec.c, impreza wrx sti spec.c type ra and impreza wrx sti spec.c type ra-r.

they all have the same powerplant and drivetrain, the differences lie in the options of each. just as there is the impreza, wrx and sti, there is already a legacy, gt and spec.b. another addition to the family would be just different parts added to the same.

ok, there are minor exceptions to my analogy above, so you don't need 5 back-to-back posts to point them all out, but i think you get the idea.

the legacy is still subaru's flagship model worldwide, and i believe they are trying to reposition it in the market, first with the gt, then the spec.b, then no manual in wagons, then no wagons and a 3.0r spec.b. they are changing this line dramatically and at a very rapid pace. we will not be stuck with 250hp forever, but if you go throwing a h6 turbo into a awd auto, your going to be getting worse gas mileage than a hummer. i think 2010 sounds like a great target to expect a new powerplant which would probably be a 6-cyl turbo diesel with 300 - 320 bhp. as for now, and if, they bring it over, it is going to be 250. believe me, I would be more than happy to eat my words at sema.

not quite true, JDM spec c ra and r run 2.0 ltr engine not 2.5 ltr. Couple of guys here in town imported them from Japan. Car looks the same as the 2.5 ltr STI though just smaller donk. They also have no drive by wire throttle on the spec c ra or r , just the old trusty throttle cable.

Forgot one thing. I believe those discussions took place before the diesel news was finalized, but having the diesel come here should not prevent us from getting the "tuned by STI" models.

One more thing (and this should probably fall under "My dealer told me"), my local dealer has a Forester Sport with STI spoiler, front lip, and wheels, and the sales manager indicated it was a precursor to a Forester STI. That wasn't mentioned in the rumor discussion on Nasioc, but then, that was only about the Legacy/Outback "tuned by STI" models.

In the early discussions of the "tuned by STI" Legacy, before Australia got theirs, we had already resigned ourselves to the fact that the Japanese-spec "tuned by STI" was an option package to the Japanese Spec.B, having the STI parts bin added to what was already in the Spec.B.

Later, when Australia got their "tuned by STI", they also got an ECU tune, which was apparently done in Australia, not Japan, but it raised the hope that we might get an ECU tune too.

In the discussion about three months ago on Nasioc, after the "tuned by STI" for US rumor was floated, there was also a rumor floated about an ECU massage, which gave us hope that we might get something more similar to Australia's tuned by STI than Japan's.

After those discussions, no more was revealed, so things have been rather quiet for the last two months or so, but, based on those rumors, we're expecting an ECU massage, which might net us a horsepower bump, but it's all rumor at this point.

So, if you go by the Japanese market - no power bump.

If you go by the Australian market - power bump.

If you lend credence to the rumor of an ECU massage for US announced at SEMA - power bump.

We'll just have to wait and see.

in addition to ecu tune, they also gave us a suspension tune that is suited to our roads and conditions in Australia. Our roads can be pretty rough here plus plenty of speed bumps and the like. They managed to give us a suspension that sits lower, allows for 18 x 7.5 wheels and doesn't crunch the front lip easily. It's fine bit of tuning to get that result. I know because I did alot of suspension modding to MY06 STI and never achieved near what I have on the Tuned by STI car.

Er, not to be picky, but you mentioned the Legacy being the flagship for the world, and then mentioned the "no manual wagon" and the "no Legacy wagon". Those are US only. Most other markets (including Canada, no less) still get the Legacy wagon w/ manual. To add insult to injury, those cars come of the assembly line at SIA in Indiana, USA, but SOA doesn't want to purchase them from SIA to sell in the US.

Oh, and I never said I wanted to mate a turbo H6 to an automatic. That would just be silly. 6MT for me! Though when Subaru made the B11S in '03, they put a 5EAT in it because they didn't have a manual that could handle the torque. Hopefully they'll rectify that situation.

in addition to ecu tune, they also gave us a suspension tune that is suited to our roads and conditions in Australia. Our roads can be pretty rough here plus plenty of speed bumps and the like. They managed to give us a suspension that sits lower, allows for 18 x 7.5 wheels and doesn't crunch the front lip easily. It's fine bit of tuning to get that result. I know because I did alot of suspension modding to MY06 STI and never achieved near what I have on the Tuned by STI car.

Some of our northern states suffer from potholes (roads freeze in the winter, the ice breaks up the asphalt, the crumbled asphalt then wanders off to warmer climates, and we're left with potholes). Here in Georgia, we just suffer from poor quality road construction. I never knew that brand new roads could be so uneven 'til I moved here.

Er, not to be picky, but you mentioned the Legacy being the flagship for the world, and then mentioned the "no manual wagon" and the "no Legacy wagon". Those are US only. Most other markets (including Canada, no less) still get the Legacy wagon w/ manual. To add insult to injury, those cars come of the assembly line at SIA in Indiana, USA, but SOA doesn't want to purchase them from SIA to sell in the US.

Oh, and I never said I wanted to mate a turbo H6 to an automatic. That would just be silly. 6MT for me! Though when Subaru made the B11S in '03, they put a 5EAT in it because they didn't have a manual that could handle the torque. Hopefully they'll rectify that situation.

yep I can confirm we get the Liberty (Legacy) Spec B Wagon and Tuned by STI wagon in 6MT as well. Made in Japan and imported into to Aust.

yep I can confirm we get the Liberty (Legacy) Spec B Wagon and Tuned by STI wagon in 6MT as well. Made in Japan and imported into to Aust.

Just to clarify my post: the Legacy wagons with manual transmission that are sold in Canada come off the assembly line in the US. They're made right here in the US, and we can't buy them in the US. Too bad Canadian prices are so much higher than ours.

I think I'm gonna move to Australia. They get better stuff. (...or maybe I'll wait and see what's announced at SEMA in November.)

People keep mentioning getting a H6 turbo. Sorry, but that would only further delay us getting a LGT Sti for all the emissions testing it would have to go through. Then the crash testing, etc. We already have the 2.5 turbo in our cars, they already have a 300hp engine set up in another car. All they would need to do is get the fuel mileage rating done and you'd be in business (yes I know I am over simplifying it). It would be cheaper for Subie to do it that way right now. If they sell enough of them, I could see them swapping to a H6 turbo, but with the car market the way it is it just doesn't make sense to build a completely new powertrain (yes I know it does exist, but was in a concept stage). Not only that, but everyone here knows you can squeeze more power out of the Wrx Sti engine so its not like you are maxed at 300hp and thats it.

Archived