LegacyGT.com

DIY: Illuminated Cup Holders

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really want to do this to my 2.5i.

I figure i could wire it to the cigarette lighter, or even the power source in the center console.

Anyone know know how possible it would be to get a strip of fiber optic or anything, so it could be a solid ring of faint lighting around the inside?

I think that would look pretty nice under the lip.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I did the LEDs in the center arm-rest for starters. I wired in a mercury switch that I had laying around so they only turn on when I lift the lid. I used a little super glue to hold things in place, but hot-glue would have worked fine too.

I ran the wires down though the hinge piece, and tacked them on to the cig. lighter. This means that they can only be on when the car is on (or on acc. at least), but was easier than running an always-hot wire in to that area.

Two white LEDs gives me enough light to see in there, but it is not too bright at all. In fact, I'd consider using brighter LEDs or two more next time.

One thing I didn't expect, the mercury switch leaks enough current that the LEDs glow very dimly when they are "off". I don't know if that is because the switch is 10+ years old, or if that is just typical. I bought it from RadioShack long ago, but it looks just like the ones on the old wall thermostats.

(Sorry for the blurry picture, didn't notice that until it was all buttoned up again.

legacygt-3.thumb.jpg.736282e34a3ce8663b8a2eeb59c119c0.jpg

legacygt-4.thumb.jpg.4c114bda12891e89f745b690d7599654.jpg

• 1 year later...

Archived