LegacyGT.com

DIY: Illuminated Cup Holders

I just did this... I ran 6 LED's.... I used these http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062561... Everything would have been done in 10 mins but I picked the exact spot where it JUST HAD TO HIT THE PARKING BRAKE :spin:... so I had to trim down the LED case so it would clear. I will post some pics later on. To the OP it is very very easy to get LED's all the way around... I don't understand your difficulty in not getting them on the other side?? :confused:

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't have difficulty. I didn't want them all around. I wanted them so they were visible only one side.

I just said that if I ran them on the other side, it would have been easier to get the power. I could have just quick-tapped into the harness and been done with it. Instead I had to run wires across the bottom of the cupholders.

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

I didn't have difficulty. I didn't want them all around. I wanted them so they were visible only one side.

I just said that if I ran them on the other side, it would have been easier to get the power. I could have just quick-tapped into the harness and been done with it. Instead I had to run wires across the bottom of the cupholders.

Oh ok.. my bad... since you have SI Drive... there is a dimmer wire right there... hook up the negative to it and you will have full control over the dimming function of the LED's. The wire will test 0v with full brightness and 3.2V one step down and something like 8.6V with it all the way dim. It is the dark colored wire on the far left of the harness with the release tab facing away from you.

Thanks, guys. I probably wont be able to get in there until after the New Year, so if anyone does this and gets it to dim properly with the interior lights... plz take some pics and post them here :)
If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

Thanks, guys. I probably wont be able to get in there until after the New Year, so if anyone does this and gets it to dim properly with the interior lights... plz take some pics and post them here :)

I did it... I will post some pics...

This circuit is not uncommon at all... almost all domestic vehicles have a positive and negative dimming wire either at the steering column or radio harness. My old GMC truck had both at my leisure

great job. one question, i saw the pics with water bottles in the holder at night...is this distracting? just curious...just trying to gage the amount of refracted (correct word?) light. wondering if there is a way to do this with less light. would be interested in the dimmer plan.

great job. one question, i saw the pics with water bottles in the holder at night...is this distracting? just curious...just trying to gage the amount of refracted (correct word?) light. wondering if there is a way to do this with less light. would be interested in the dimmer plan.

The dimmer option would be your best bet, also, there's different luminance to different LEDs - going over their specs in-detail would help. You can even add resistors, outright, to further trim-down the amount of light.

Another solution? --->

I put interior "mood-lights" everywhere, in my DSM.

Hey, I was young, and (still am) a Ricer. OK, so the car had a fully-supported EVO III 16G and didn't have even a shred of vinyl on the outside, but still, I loved anything that glowed, and "EL-tubing" was all the rage, then. :lol::redface:

That's why I also put in a kill-switch, for when the driving got serious. ;)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

You can also tap off of the heated seat button power harness.

im not good at electrical thingy. Im afraid that when I power it up something will burn or explode.

Where to connect the wires from the led lights:confused:

I just removed the whole thing and put it back... just to be safe that I put it back after taking it off. :spin:

^ Interior....

Back then (early 2000s), we were all still stuck on interior lighting.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

where do you connect the wires? I just finished placing the led and arranging the wires, but i dont know where to tap to power it up. where do you connect the negative and positive?

help please..:) pics will be very helpful too.

Thanks!

^ I just ran into the same problem, you should be able to tap the striped purple wire for power (in the OP's instructions I think that's what he said he tapped) and the 12V plug for negative. Me however....I didn't even think of the fact that I drive a N/A, so I've got everything drilled and ready to go, but I'm not sure what wire I can tap to get power when I turn the headlights on :spin: anyone have some advice?

Archived