LegacyGT.com

DIY: Illuminated Cup Holders

^ Man, I used to *love* RS.

Now, sadly, it's no longer staffed by fellow geeks and nerds, but rather, by people who barely know a the difference between LED and LCD, and only know how to pressure-sale cell-phone plans. :(

yeah, i agree, they dont know a thing, but i have never had a problem finding everything

and last time I went there, none of the stuff I wanted to buy showed up as in their inventory so i got it all for free :lol:

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ :lol: No way!!! That's awesome!!!!

I usually don't have any trouble finding what I need - unless they're just flat out-of-stock, but I still would like someone who is geekier (and smarter) than I am, to help me out, when I get stumped. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ ROFL! Spoken like a true life-long nerd (of which I'm a proud member!) :D

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

:munch: for pics of said LED install behind the handles :) I thought about putting them behind the door latch to let people know where the hell it is. Friends can never find it if they dont ride with me often.

haha reminds me of a dane cook bit...

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/dane-cook-first-time-getting-head/525736416

*edit* FYI - vid gets a little "risky" at about 1:25 haha

^ That one's a CLASSIC!!!! :lol: I still laugh uncontrollably at that one.

I prefer "T-taps," but "vampire taps" (think of this one as the wire being tapped being bridged, in-line, to your feeder wire) will work just fine, too.

Woodstock, go to your local automotive store, and just ask for "T-taps" or "vampire taps" by name, the clerks/technicians will know what you're talking about, and they can even help demonstrate to you how to use them. If you don't have a wire crimp/stripper, you'll want to pick one up, too, as if you don't know about these taps, your electrical/wiring skills are likely not advanced, and you'll want all the help you can get, and a $5 tool will pay for itself many times over. :)

Be sure to get the right gauge (wire thickness) tap, as well as source the right wiring to go with it. Too-thick or too-thin wiring for the tap can make it unreliable at best.

Taping the wire in-place is always a good idea, but not required, especially for something as "non-mission-critical" as this mod.

If you don't know what "spade" or "bullet" connectors are, you might not have enough basic wiring/electrical knowledge to proceed with this project. Please don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to insult you....I'm honestly just trying to help you avoid potential frustration, or costly mistakes. You might want to consider looking up some local Subaru club enthusiasts, who are typically always helpful, and will gladly lend a hand on such projects or teach you how to do stuff for the most bare-minimum of payment (i.e. burger and beer).

Finally, if you need to splice any wires together, remember that a bit of solder is always wise, no matter how good you are at twisting braided-wire together. ;) If you don't know how to do this, look at some online resources. It's very basic, and with just a little practice, you'll be a pro. :)

now you made it a little hard for me to figure out how to do this project:spin: I have a little experience with electrical stuff, however; I don't know the proper names of things. I just call it whatever or draw a picture. LOL!

anyway: let me see if i know.........

so first: follow the steps till I'm ready to do the wires.

- get an extension wires for the leds bought at radioshack. (what size? I know you get the same size of wire you are connecting it to.)

- get the positive and negatives together. tie it with an electrical tape.

- strip the wire you are connecting it to; positive and negative. (I dont know about soldering it.

- braid the wires. wrap it with an electrical tape.

- test it

- (done?)

anything I missed?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Morning guys, this is my first post on this entire forum. I have chosen this to be my first project, which i will start tomoro morning asap. Hopefully i can get it done before work at 5.

B4 i get started i have a few questions,

1. what is a quick tap as? is it simply the male and female pieces you were talking about?

2. I Have an 07 2.5i Limited, and I read about the ability to tap into the heated seat module for the dimming features, and for power and ground all together. My question is will i need the quick tap? or this device that Arctec34 mentioned http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104093 ?

It seems to me that the heated seat module is a simple "push-in" connection as opposed to the need of soldering/quick-tapping/ or T-Taps.

That is all i can think of at this time, help me out and I'll throw up some pictures, since thats what the cool kids do on here :)

Morning guys, this is my first post on this entire forum. I have chosen this to be my first project, which i will start tomoro morning asap. Hopefully i can get it done before work at 5.

B4 i get started i have a few questions,

1. what is a quick tap as? is it simply the male and female pieces you were talking about?

2. I Have an 07 2.5i Limited, and I read about the ability to tap into the heated seat module for the dimming features, and for power and ground all together. My question is will i need the quick tap? or this device that Arctec34 mentioned http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104093 ?

It seems to me that the heated seat module is a simple "push-in" connection as opposed to the need of soldering/quick-tapping/ or T-Taps.

That is all i can think of at this time, help me out and I'll throw up some pictures, since thats what the cool kids do on here :)

Correct, the heated seats use a push in/snapping connector. The problem is, we can't use that connector- but we need to get other + and _ wires to run elsewhere, to the LEDs that we're putting in the cupholders,

You need to use these T clamps to clamp into the existing wires, and the clamps connect that power or ground to the new wires.

welcome to the forums, and good luck with this mod!

• 2 weeks later...

Are they the kind that have an open connector at the bottom? You might could put some LEDs in there or something.

a single LED in the bottom is all you need to make the bottles glow.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

well the first 2 i put in this weekend were great, just not that bright. so i went to put two more in and now im a little upset

1st I lost my passenger side Snap screw that is located up above the seat heater controls. So now my right side is a little loose. not noticable except to me sincei know about it.

2nd The next two led's i put in are on the left and right side of the cup holders and now are too long. so i had to bend the driver side led so it would not poke out of the cup holder (E-brake hits the back of the led). and the passenger side is very sensitive it wouldn't work at first so i had to stick my hand under the now loose passenger side and jiggle the wire, im assuming that is poking the side as well ...

all in all it works, it looks good but i know that there are space issues and internal problems. im anal about that kind of thing and im upset a bit now :(

1st I lost my passenger side Snap screw that is located up above the seat heater controls. So now my right side is a little loose. not noticable except to me sincei know about it.

Does anyone know if i can get some of these from subaru? and while im at it is it possible to buy a second cup holder? just incase i take out some of the led's i definately don't want 2 open holes

• 3 months later...
Has anyone used blue led's on their interior? I'd love to see how it looks, I have 50 blue led's and thought of doing a project but realized that my speedo is red... Don't think it would look off but was curious what everyone else thought.

Go through this thread and look for ArcTec's pics. I think he actually started another thread too. He did blue and white (I think) LEDs. It didn't look horrible, though I preferred to keep the stock look.
If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

• 4 weeks later...

i just did this a couple weeks back with the radio shack leds. the only difference is i mounted mine up higher since i keep change in the cupholders and they would get covered if they were too low.

looks great. two of my favorite and cheap mods have to be between this and the map/dome/puddle lights with dollar store led flashlights.

• 3 months later...

Hey gang, I'm sitting here wonder if its possible to do something similler to what the JDM and the other market legacys have. We all know they look like this below:

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n426/Hobberski/junk/donenight.jpg

Now what I'm wonder if its possible to cut the actual cup holder part into two pieces. The very top part that has has the mounting points and slider track and the lower/main part that is the actual cop holder. Once they are are two pieces mark and cut out a piece of lexan that is the same size as both pieces and sandwich it between the upper mounting piece and the lower larger cup holder piece. Thus in theory making what looks like the JDM piece. Then all you'd have to do is wire some led's into the lexan so it lights the lexan evenly all the way around and da da. Well you'd also have to join the now 3 pieces back together so the cup holder part is nice and sturdy in the center section.

Here's what I was thinking. Cutting it into two around the red line and then adding the lexan where'd you cut. Anyone think that its some what doable? Plus I'm wondering if it would provide a more of a even glow then 4 leds in the base of the cup holder.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/StevenCole/Cupholder1.jpg

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

Archived