LegacyGT.com

DIY: Illuminated Cup Holders

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^ moral of that thread...even if you dont hook up radio shack LED's to your dimmer switch, there not distracting-LY bright.

Hahahaha. Maybe you should of listened to me Roberto... THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE PROCES, and maybe your car would look just as good as mine. Hell, maybe it woulda turned into a GT! It's ok Rob, I still love you, and geese always fly south.

:munch: for pics of said LED install behind the handles :) I thought about putting them behind the door latch to let people know where the hell it is. Friends can never find it if they dont ride with me often.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

did you LEDs in the cupholder.. they were really beefy LEDs so its So bright.. probably will swap them out

also, i put one red LED behind each handle, and one white LED in the two front door cubbies

my internet is down at my house so ill post pics tomorrow after i move myself back to college

^ And that's why I thought that someone here might want to try this, with the various LED-based "Angel Eyes" that are popular. :) There's gotta be one that's large enough of a diameter. ;)

Either that, or go with a flexible LED strip.

I'd think that you'll need to dim the source, though.....

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ I think so - and that includes the acrylic-ring LEDs (and I wouldn't even think of going with CCFL).

That's also why I thought to mention the need to perhaps dim the source, above. ;)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Thanks for the inspiration - walkthrough for the Aussie (JDM) modification at http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?t=4032

Fortunately our cars seem to have the circular illumination lenses in place, just no wiring or LEDs. :)

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n426/Hobberski/junk/donenight.jpg

ahh that's aweesome! i wish USDM cars had the circular cup holders. :spin:

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

^ Hey, don't sell yourself short - you didn't have a few thousand dollars as an OEM! :lol:

no, you can buy wire taps at any automotive store. Not even tape is required, although its a good idea.

it pinches the wire with a contact and provides a spade connector.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I prefer "T-taps," but "vampire taps" (think of this one as the wire being tapped being bridged, in-line, to your feeder wire) will work just fine, too.

Woodstock, go to your local automotive store, and just ask for "T-taps" or "vampire taps" by name, the clerks/technicians will know what you're talking about, and they can even help demonstrate to you how to use them. If you don't have a wire crimp/stripper, you'll want to pick one up, too, as if you don't know about these taps, your electrical/wiring skills are likely not advanced, and you'll want all the help you can get, and a $5 tool will pay for itself many times over. :)

Be sure to get the right gauge (wire thickness) tap, as well as source the right wiring to go with it. Too-thick or too-thin wiring for the tap can make it unreliable at best.

Taping the wire in-place is always a good idea, but not required, especially for something as "non-mission-critical" as this mod.

If you don't know what "spade" or "bullet" connectors are, you might not have enough basic wiring/electrical knowledge to proceed with this project. Please don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to insult you....I'm honestly just trying to help you avoid potential frustration, or costly mistakes. You might want to consider looking up some local Subaru club enthusiasts, who are typically always helpful, and will gladly lend a hand on such projects or teach you how to do stuff for the most bare-minimum of payment (i.e. burger and beer).

Finally, if you need to splice any wires together, remember that a bit of solder is always wise, no matter how good you are at twisting braided-wire together. ;) If you don't know how to do this, look at some online resources. It's very basic, and with just a little practice, you'll be a pro. :)

^ Man, I used to *love* RS.

Now, sadly, it's no longer staffed by fellow geeks and nerds, but rather, by people who barely know a the difference between LED and LCD, and only know how to pressure-sale cell-phone plans. :(

Archived