LegacyGT.com

Snow!?!?!?!

RobE

I had to go to Manchvegas today, to get a new snow tire, and to work at our office there.

Drive up on 93 N was one of the worst I've had. People rank on Massacruisers (rightfully so!), but I can't tell you how many NH citizens seem to decide that if you have MA plates, even if you are driving an AWD car with snow tires, they can go faster and tailgate until you get out of their way.

And here's the results:

http://dervish.smugmug.com/photos/446074254_fmzQf-M.jpg

http://dervish.smugmug.com/photos/446074226_fq9Wn-M.jpg

http://dervish.smugmug.com/photos/446074276_MjSqe-M.jpg

I took this last one because it had an SUV that wasn't upside down.:lol:

http://dervish.smugmug.com/photos/446073953_xit5i-M.jpg

Who Dares Wins

スバル

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got back from a quick drive out to Gardner (from Fitchburg)... very slow and slippery on Rt.2. Once you get past the plows though, the 55mph speed-limit is perfectly reasonable with soft steering inputs. I couldn't get over how many people (women) were on their cellphones and were obviously out of there element driving in these conditions! Why make it that much harder by multitasking?!?

Anyways, the wife and I are goin to Wachusett Mountain tonight to get in some New Years boarding. If anyone else is interested, I will be there in the Subaru around 6pm. Look for the GRP sedan with "UNDRDG" plates! ;)

Still liking WRG2 over RSI in these conditions?
They seemed fine, but I had the donut spare on the front so I took it way easy.

The proof of the pudding will be when the WR G2's wear down. Most tires are pretty good when they're new. Also, prospective buyers should evaluate the WR G2 against the Nokian R, not the RSI. The R appears to be a significant step forward.

In the meantime I'm going to try and get some 16" rims so that I can get some additional sidewall. 45 aspect doesn't cut it for deep potholes. I was thinking about doing that first, but as I have 4 sets of 17" rims decided to stay with them. Maybe I'll tire whore like with the OBW and get the 3rd set with Nokian R's.

http://dervish.smugmug.com/photos/445461738_TgAeG-M.jpg

Who Dares Wins

スバル

They seemed fine, but I had the donut spare on the front so I took it way easy.

The proof of the pudding will be when the WR G2's wear down. Most tires are pretty good when they're new. Also, prospective buyers should evaluate the WR G2 against the Nokian R, not the RSI. The R appears to be a significant step forward.

In the meantime I'm going to try and get some 16" rims so that I can get some additional sidewall. 45 aspect doesn't cut it for deep potholes. I was thinking about doing that first, but as I have 4 sets of 17" rims decided to stay with them. Maybe I'll tire whore like with the OBW and get the 3rd set with Nokian R's.

Of course I'd buy R over RSI, but I was asking about RSI since you had experience with these specifically. I have WR on my LGT and WRG2 on our Grand Vitara. When WR wear down I am tempted to get R for LGT. Or maybe I'll go crazy and have two sets... WR/WRG2 for around Boston, R for going up north in the middle of winter.

And, btw, you won't fit 16" rims on your WRX. AFAIK, it has LGT front brakes, so minimum size is 17". You can try to crap 225/50/17 tire for higher sidewall, which depending on the wheel offset is possible on LGT, so might be possible on WRX. But it will be tight fit regardless.

//And, btw, you won't fit 16" rims on your WRX. AFAIK, it has LGT front brakes, so minimum size is 17". You can try to crap 225/50/17 tire for higher sidewall, which depending on the wheel offset is possible on LGT, so might be possible on WRX. But it will be tight fit regardless.

I am using 02/03 WRX wheels with Dunlop WSM3's on my '09.

BTW, Nokian Rocks!

I was all ready to pay another $192.50 for the new tire. It turns out Nokian has a road hazard warranty that gives free replacement on the first 25% of tread depth. So all I paid was a charge for mounting and balancing!!!:icon_bigg Now I can buy a lot of beer!

Who Dares Wins

スバル

BTW, Nokian Rocks!

I was all ready to pay another $192.50 for the new tire. It turns out Nokian has a road hazard warranty that gives free replacement on the first 25% of tread depth. So all I paid was a charge for mounting and balancing!!!:icon_bigg Now I can buy a lot of beer!

I will be needing to take advantage of the Nokian RHW because I noticed a chunk of my WRG2 was missing on the wheel that was hit... The tire was inflated still, but the chunk missing was right along the edge where the it seals along the rim!

My car is sitting in the D&D lot until Friday becuase they refused to bring it to Fastrack in Peabody during the snow storm!

I love parking in Southie! Especially in the D&D lot! Only $35/day for off street parking... :lol::redface::mad:

Drive up on 93 N was one of the worst I've had. People rank on Massacruisers (rightfully so!), but I can't tell you how many NH citizens seem to decide that if you have MA plates, even if you are driving an AWD car with snow tires, they can go faster and tailgate until you get out of their way.

I've lived here for a year and a half. If the Union Leader user comments are any indication, there is a lot of hatred for anything and everything Massachusetts in this state.

I've lived here for a year and a half. If the Union Leader user comments are any indication, there is a lot of hatred for anything and everything Massachusetts in this state.
Yeah, until they have to go to the hospital, museum, sporting event, or work.

I've lived in both states. Next time you hear someone ranking on MA, ask them where they are from originally. A surprising percentage of the time, they're originally from MA. But most of the douchebags in Dodge Ram pickups are local produce, I'd guess. Several of the editors for the Union Leader itself? They're from MA.:lol:

Who Dares Wins

スバル

omg, that sucks man. did you find out who was responsible????

Yes... the guy also hit our neighbor's car, too. His car was disabled and the police/fire came... so a police report was already filed and I obtained a copy of it from my neighbor!

I'll find out later today what the extent of the damage was (from Scott at Fastrack) and how long I can expect to be without the car!

The problem I'll be facing is that I Know (because I saw it with my own eyes) is that at least one link of my STi trailing arms are bent! How will those get replaced? Will I need to order them from a vendor to get those replaced or will I be only allowed (by insurance co.) to replace with standard factory OE parts? And only one side and maybe even one link is broken so I don't want to have bushings on one side of the car and bearings on the other???

I'm not sure how this will all work out... but even if I am allowed to replace the broken links with the STi parts... how long will it take to get them!

Yikes :spin:

Now my car is at quirk braintree waiting for the appraisal guys. They are booked until next week. So subaru can't start work on it......blows. now I need to get rental insurance.....I don't look good in a 2001 mitsu montero

• 1 month later...

Archived