LegacyGT.com

vid on speeding

Lessons I learned:

Look where you're driving, not at pretty girls.

Don't rear-end people at stopsigns while driving your car like a douchebag.

Be careful around blind corners (the closest to a speed-cause accident I see).

Don't cross the street without looking for the blue van man (come one, they're supposed to be white!)

If a dog runs in front of you while you're overtaking, and your options are a) hit the dog, or b) jerk the wheel and set off an explosive under your RF wheel, you should hit the dog.

Trees are hard; don't hit them (they didn't show me why that happened; I'll blame this one on a sneeze: don't drive with a cold/allergies.)

Chicks don't dig burnouts, dudes don't dig "drifting," and old ladies and soccer moms agree: if you don't yield the right of way to pedestrians at a crosswalk, you have a tiny peepee.

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

I have learned nothing from this video cause #1, all this stuff is just common sense. Why whould you speed with your kids in the car? #2 my manhood is massive and I still do dumb things. #3 After typing all this I learned that I'm going to get flamed for this. #4 Drive safe kids and leave the speeding to the pros. *I'm not even sure why I typed this*

None of those cars were Subarus. Therefore, these things can only happen to British teens who are driving other brands.

Remember the next time you see someone driving a Corolla - Osama Bin Laden was chauffeured in one. All the more reason to drive a Subaru.

That was rather depressing I don't speed ... more than 5 over anyway ... I had a close friend die because of speeding, and another friend get hospitalized and in a coma (but survived) because of speeding.

Unfortunately a lot of folks don't take things seriously unless things are 'over the top' on the graphics. That vid was excellent in nailing the point of its seriousness, IMHO.

Back in high school the local Police group would bring in there local accident scene pictures, in full color, and narrate them to the class. There were no fuzzed out areas on the pics either (i.e.- the gray matter from someone's cracked open skull was in full view). There was always at least one person that would loose their lunch during the show.

Growing up in a rural area gave folks plenty of opportunities to get into accidents, not fender benders, but major wrecks due to speed and gravel roads. I totalled my first car just 29 days after getting it. Luckily a tree in the ditch that I ran into stopped my car from rolling and I ended up with a slight cut on my head from busting out the side window. That was more than enough to temper my driving habits to this day.

If you want to be "Ricky Racer" take it to the track, otherwise tuck it between your legs and drive like your life depends on it!

:soap_box:

Unfortunately a lot of folks don't take things seriously unless things are 'over the top' on the graphics. That vid was excellent in nailing the point of its seriousness, IMHO.

Back in high school the local Police group would bring in there local accident scene pictures, in full color, and narrate them to the class. There were no fuzzed out areas on the pics either (i.e.- the gray matter from someone's cracked open skull was in full view). There was always at least one person that would loose their lunch during the show.

Growing up in a rural area gave folks plenty of opportunities to get into accidents, not fender benders, but major wrecks due to speed and gravel roads. I totalled my first car just 29 days after getting it. Luckily a tree in the ditch that I ran into stopped my car from rolling and I ended up with a slight cut on my head from busting out the side window. That was more than enough to temper my driving habits to this day.

If you want to be "Ricky Racer" take it to the track, otherwise tuck it between your legs and drive like your life depends on it!

Schools are not allowed to do this anymore, for the most part, because it may offend or give kids a bad dream.

i say Tough ****.

I went through a Citizens Police academy a few years back... they held nothing back. grown adults losing their lunch over some of the stuff they shown us. (pics from an actual brutal murder. only part of the guys face was blurred so he couldn't be identified, in case someone knew the guy although the murder was like 5-10 years prior) I can still remember some of the pics, very graphic. CSI dead bodies, some can come close to the real thing. but i think it was "knowing" that this was a real person, made it as bad as it was.

vids like this are good, but like what has been stated most of the people don't drive like this because of common sense. but sadly there are people that do... I think the 2nd one of the guy in the silver car was good example of a lot of people. guy is all worried about his car until he saw the lady in the SUV in shock. all they think about is them while they drive... everyone else is wrong, they are right and are perfectly fine breaking the law. not once thinking about anyone else but them.

I came to the opposite conclusion: I thought that the video was fraught with melodramatic, manufactured sentimentality that detracted from the actual message of promoting driver safety.

That kind of thing is what works on me, because it's not created for the sole purpose of evoking an emotional reaction. I'll take pictures of what actually happened, and a real explanation of how it happened (and, ooh, statistics of how often it happens! I'm a sucker for statistics) over something like that video any day. We got that at my school, too, and it made an impression. The 20-minute "dramatic reenactment" video they showed us leading up to the photos, with sad music and crappy acting? Not so much...

Yikes - my cousin was killed in what sounds like a very similar accident - he was sitting in the passenger seat, driver went off the road into a ditch, the car rolled 3 times, and he was partially ejected out the passenger window...glad you got lucky...

:whore: And how!

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

watching that video... made me think of my Sophomore year in high school.

I was home sick for a few days, and we lived a few houses down from railroad tracks. Not a very busy set of tracks, maybe 2-3 trains a day. anyway, I'm sitting there watching TV and just happened to look out the window and was wondering why the train had stopped.

Come to find out, a Girl had just that day got her drivers license (16th birthday just a few days prior) and her Dad and 2 of her friends were driving home. (Dad Driving) According to the Engineer, They stopped at the crossing (no gates or lights, just a stop sign) a complete stop... and pulled across the tracks. Driver looked right at the Engineer at the last second. all 4 dead on impact.

the Dad was not paying attention, and neither were the girls.

the Girl... sat in front of me in English, one of her friends in the car... next to her in same class.

Went to school the next day, in English class.... nobody paid any attention. everyone kept looking at their seats.

been out shoveling the driveway since watching that video, that memory kept popping up. :(

I <snip>

Yikes - my cousin was killed in what sounds like a very similar accident - he was sitting in the passenger seat, driver went off the road into a ditch, the car rolled 3 times, and he was partially ejected out the passenger window...glad you got lucky...

<snip>

To this day I still thank my lucky stars. I figured it was a 'warning' that really did work.

In my high school we lost 1-2 classmates a year on average to car accidents, which in a school of only 400 students meant you knew them. It was always sobering when the news of another deathh was announced to us.

I was in 8th grade and literally heard an accident happen on the main route through our town. It was a foggy/damp day and I was outside playing with a friend. We heard a skid then a dead thud, followed by sirens a couple of minutes later. We didn't think anything of it till we saw tow trucks bring a couple of cars into the local gas station just down the street from us. We went over to see if they were from the accident we heard. There was a late 70's DeVille with a flattened front bumper and a late 70's Vega with ~12" between the driver & passenger doors. The Vega lost control on a mild curve and slid sideways across the yellow lines into the oncoming DeVille. The Vega was travelling too fast for conditions. As typical teenagers we scavenged the cars for anything "cool". The DeVille was locked, but the Vega's windows were gone. I opened the glove box and blood started draining out from under the dash...we high tailed it out of there just a little freaked out.

Two year's later my friend and I were sitting in the 'scared straight' presentation by the local Police, when they started expaining and showing pics of an accident between a...you guessed it...a DeVille and a Vega. The fella driving the DeVille had some bumps and bruises, but walked away. The two occupants of the Vega were not so lucky, both died. The driver was squished out of the vehicle like a grape from its skin, his boots still in what was left of the driver's side footwell and the passenger died of severe internal injuries as well as bleeding out before the Paramedics arrived. The pictures brought back immediate flash backs to the day we were scavenging in the Vega. That was quite a surreal moment for both of us, now that we had faces and details to go along with those cars. :(

I must say that vid made me think.... I can't lie I have put myself in some of those similar situations. For the most part I have learned over the years... but things like that vid make me learn a little more.

I'm not going to post my personal horror stories, because I didn't learn from them. I have walked away from more than my share of bad accidents.... I think that has the opposite effect on me.... doesn't make me realize my mortality so much when I don't see the end effect.... this vid definitely drives it home.

I don't know the exact reason... but i've noticed that if i'm alone in the car, i'll drive hard/er and you can catch me from time to time doing something i shouldn't on the street. but for the most part I drive fairly easy.

but put even a single passenger in the car... i drive like an old grandma. I just don't want anything I do to be responsible for another person's injuries.

Archived