LegacyGT.com

A/S tires: Proxes 4's v. P Zero Nero M&S in PA

Bolksey85

Alright, these stock LGT tires blow major dong. And everyone on here tells me they're horrible in snow. I hear good things about the Pirelli's and I know the Toyo's are an awesome tire. Pricewise, the Pirelli's are all of $14 more each. 98 for Toyo's, 112 for Pirelli's so that's not a big deal. I was curious of any opinions here. I'd think to trust the P Zero's more as they carry the M&S rating which is good insurance in PA.

Edit: those prices are in a 225/45R17. The Proxes 4's in the OE size are $91 each. The Pirelli's I think go for about 117 n the OE size. Opinions?

Pzero's have same tread design as their summer-only tire, they only changed material. ContiExtremeContacts for around $100 and RE960s at $160 seem to be the balanced all-season tires of choice, with winter going to extremes and performance going to re960s.

Couple of other new ones out there, but I don't think you can beat the Extremes for price/performance ratio

Don't do the Proxes 4's. I had some on a FWD car and they were useless in anything more than 1 inch of snow.

Conti extremes are pretty noisy, but seem to be rated as best snow traction by the Tire Rack. I went with Kumho ASX's which were decent in snow when they were new. I just swapped them out for a set of Yokohoma Avid W4s. Only $105 a copy and I love them so far.....slightly better tire than the Kumho all around. We will see about snow....supposed to get some here this week.

Having gone through 2 sets of toyo proxes 4s and now running pirelli pzero nero m&s, I feel pretty comfortable speaking about the 2 sets of tires.

Pirelli - Great dry performance, wet is adequate but not great - in the snow, i'd rather walk! I seriously can't believe how bad they are in ANY amount of snow.

Toyo - Great dry performance, great wet performance, snow is so-so.

Obviously between the two i'd go for the toyo.

Other good options that I haven't used so can't give a personal review (in no particular order):

1) Bridgestone 960

2) Goodyear eagle f1

3) Goodyear eagle GT

I have the proxes 4s.. I dont see where the anti-love is coming from for them. they work fine for me.. I just wish they would last longer.

at $88 each tho.. its not the end of the world.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

^^^^$88?? What Size?

Thx for the opinions on the Proxes 4. I was thinking about using them on my next set of wheels, but with a 19" rim haha. From what Ive read elsewhere they seem to get good reviews. Was quoted $$$910 m&b for a set from Les Schwab out here in the PNW.:eek:....but that was for 225/35/19's.

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? -George Carlin

Yeah, I guess I should specify. I want an all purpose tire, not a dedicated snow/winter tire. I work 7 miles from home with a major highway that I can use if it gets nasty. My current plans are to ditch the RE090's in favor of a decent yet cheap AS tire for the OE wheels and pick up a set of silver 5x100 STi BBS's for Spring/Summer use. Load those up with some high end rubber. Maybe RE01R's or Pilot Sports. Maybe some Conti Sports, I don't know. Gotta see what winter business brings.

Yeah, I guess I should specify. I want an all purpose tire, not a dedicated snow/winter tire. I work 7 miles from home with a major highway that I can use if it gets nasty. My current plans are to ditch the RE090's in favor of a decent yet cheap AS tire for the OE wheels and pick up a set of silver 5x100 STi BBS's for Spring/Summer use. Load those up with some high end rubber. Maybe RE01R's or Pilot Sports. Maybe some Conti Sports, I don't know. Gotta see what winter business brings.

Kumho ASX's, can't go wrong for the price. They far exceeded my expectations.

I vote neither. I had the pirellis, snow and esp. slush was terrible. Go with the bridgestone 960 A/s. I have GY F1 A/S now.

Don't do the Proxes 4's. I had some on a FWD car and they were useless in anything more than 1 inch of snow.

Conti extremes are pretty noisy, but seem to be rated as best snow traction by the Tire Rack. I went with Kumho ASX's which were decent in snow when they were new. I just swapped them out for a set of Yokohoma Avid W4s. Only $105 a copy and I love them so far.....slightly better tire than the Kumho all around. We will see about snow....supposed to get some here this week.

Bolkesy, if you hit up the search engine, you'll find the past threads to support the statements coming from the old-hats here.

The P-Zero Neros as well as the Proxes 4s have been around for a long time, now, and back in 2005/2006, were popular choices, along with the then budget-tire Falken ZIEX ZE-512s.

Of the three, the Neros were recognized as being the best dry/mild weather performers, with the three tires becoming near-equals in the wet, and then with winter-traction favoring the ZE-512s (with their low cost, they were a favorite of the Lake Erie Regional Subaru Owners Club - LERSOC - crowd here in the Snow Belt of NE-Ohio, and who are [myself included] very cost-conscious). In each case, the Proxes seemed to occupy the middle ground rather consistently.

Overall, all of these tires are, in my book, past history - currently, all the rage is about the Goodyear F1 All-Season, and given the limitations of this data (i.e. that these tires are not nearly as worn) as only "second-winter" can tell us (remember that people only started using these tires since last winter), they do seem much better than the "older" tires mentioned above.

Other considerations?

The Continental ContiExtremeContact have always been highly rated by Scooby lovers for winter-capable traction. Their tread-design is aggressive and also carry plenty of sips, which hints to such performance.

The Kumho ASXs have seen a dedicated following in the Mazda community, but the newer all-season options may have made this tire also a thing of the past.

And honestly, if you're a careful driver, even the RE92s should do you just fine. :) I only recently swapped out the RE92s (nearing 4 years, approx. 20K miles) on my wife's WRX for Michelin X-Ice Xi2s, and it wasn't be cause she was complaining about traction. Similarly, I never really felt that the ZIEX 512s that I had for two winters (and were about half-worn) were unsafe - I never swapped-ends unintentionally, and I also never got stuck (I beached myself, temporarily, in the "no man's land" between my unplowed driveway and the city-plowed street in front of my house, after one of Cleveland's more impressive winter storms - but the car powered itself out), and I only got my Dunlop WinterSport 3Ds to further increase my winter safety margin.

If you drive careful enough when the white stuff start coming down, with any of the above recommended choices, you'll be just fine.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Kumho ASX = $56 per tire (not including shipping) on tirerack right now for 215/45/17. I don't care....for the price, that can't be beat for a "all-purpose" performance-oriented tire.

I've got 15k miles on my Falken Ziex 912 on my 06 Civic SI in 215/45/17 and they are becoming such a terrible tire in the last few thousand miles that I'm thinking about buying the kumhos now just so i can sleep at night knowing I own them :)

Joe

Joe, how did you like the 912s in the wintry stuff?

They're reportedly, IIRC, worse in the wintry stuff than the 512s, but better in the dry and wet.

Did you find this to be true, too?

Have you had the 512s before? If so, how do the 912s compare, in terms of treadwear?

Thanks!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Kumho ASX = $56 per tire (not including shipping) on tirerack right now for 215/45/17. I don't care....for the price, that can't be beat for a "all-purpose" performance-oriented tire.

I've got 15k miles on my Falken Ziex 912 on my 06 Civic SI in 215/45/17 and they are becoming such a terrible tire in the last few thousand miles that I'm thinking about buying the kumhos now just so i can sleep at night knowing I own them :)

Joe

+1

I just picked up another set of 215-40-17 Kumho ASX to replace the RE92s on my stock rims. A great deal from a local Nasiocer.

Now I have this set for my stock wheels, and a set of ASX's that are mounted to my 18" Advans.

Why didn't I get a set of dedicated winter tires for the stock rims? Well, for 50 bucks a tire and the fact that it snows here about 3 times a year, it was an easy choice. Dedicated new 17" winter tires up here cost well over 220.00 per tire.

And if I take many months to get around to putting the Advans back on again in the Spring, I'll have a better performing tire to ride around on compared to the Potenzas.

Just took a picture after driving around on the pirelli pzero nero m&s. I already indicated how bad they are in the snow, figured i'd show you how they just can't get rid of the snow and freeze up:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i35/spect2k/pirellipzeronerosnow.jpg

i have the proxies 4, and i was out in the snow today, didnt have any problem: they actually performed a lot better than i thought they would.

They're great especially in the dry, and wet performance is nothing to complain about, though i've pushed them wayy too hard in the rain, not something i'd advise doing :-p

Archived