LegacyGT.com

What's Cobb cooking up?

dancobbtuning.com

I installed the Stage 2 v104beta map late Friday afternoon and so far so good...the stutter is still present though. Is there a way for Cobb to tune that out? It's pretty annoying.
Are you able to capture some datalogs when this stutter happens to see if we identify the issue? Unfortunately, we no longer have access to the 2008 LGT MT vehicle for testing. Any map revisions for this will need to be based on submitted datalogs. You are welcome to e-mail me with some datalogs and driving impressions so we can try to identify what is creating this issue, christian.krahenbuhl@cobbtuning.com

Is this just for those who are stage II?
With any map revisions, we would like to make improvements with all maps if possible.

Christian.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So the problems with the overboost are restricted to the Stage 2 07+ Manuals, not the 5EATs? I thought the turbo and control system were the same with the MT and 5EAT, so shouldn't this affect both cars?

Absolutely it does, my 2008 LGT 5EAT overboosted incredibly badly with the stage 2 map and following mods:

Cobb SF intake

Cobb catted DP

SPT cat-back

I talked frantically with a tech at Cobb for nearly a month and all he did was claim I had a mechanical problem. It regularly boosted 20+ psi and spiked as high as 22.5 psi. I took the car to Precision Tuning in NJ after 3-4 weeks of overboosting nonsense, and lone and behold . . . it has peaked at 16.5 psi ever since without overboosting once. Mechanical problem my a$$.

Absolutely it does, my 2008 LGT 5EAT overboosted incredibly badly with the stage 2 map and following mods:

Cobb SF intake

Cobb catted DP

SPT cat-back

I talked frantically with a tech at Cobb for nearly a month and all he did was claim I had a mechanical problem. It regularly boosted 20+ psi and spiked as high as 22.5 psi. I took the car to Precision Tuning in NJ after 3-4 weeks of overboosting nonsense, and lone and behold . . . it has peaked at 16.5 psi ever since without overboosting once. Mechanical problem my a$$.

captainhook, I don't believe we offer a OTS map for the SF intake system. Removing intake restrictions can likely allows the turbo shaft speed to increase given similar wastegate duty cycles. I am not posting to argue with you, but I can see that the hardware you are running on your car could have contributed to the overboost situation...which is likely an issue introduced by a mechanical item, the SF intake sytem.

The newer intakes (the ones on the LGT) are particularly sensitive to intake modifications. Even drop-in filters allow the cars to run much leaner than desired. Installing any hardware not supported by an OTS map will likely require a custom tune. I am glad you were able to have this issue addressed by Precision Tuning.

Christian.

captainhook, I don't believe we offer a OTS map for the SF intake system. Removing intake restrictions can likely allows the turbo shaft speed to increase given similar wastegate duty cycles. I am not posting to argue with you, but I can see that the hardware you are running on your car could have contributed to the overboost situation...which is likely an issue introduced by a mechanical item, the SF intake sytem.

The newer intakes (the ones on the LGT) are particularly sensitive to intake modifications. Even drop-in filters allow the cars to run much leaner than desired. Installing any hardware not supported by an OTS map will likely require a custom tune. I am glad you were able to have this issue addressed by Precision Tuning.

Christian.

I see in the notes for the latest OTS maps that it clearly states that the maps are to be used with the stock intake and stock filter only. However, the item description for the SF Intake on your site includes this sentence: "For your convenience, the SF Intake system is compatible with our Stage 1 and Stage 2 OTS (off the shelf mapping) provided with our AccessPORT ECU device." I think there is some confusion about whether that statement is true or not.

Where can you see that information? PM me or post a link so I can have that address. That statement is only for the older style WRX/STi intakes and should have never been associated with a LGT or vehicles with the newer style intakes.

Nevermind, I've found it and I will try to get that text edited as soon as possible.

Second edit for the day. That text has been removed. I apologize for that misleading information. Running even a drop-in filter with the newer, larger Subaru intakes requires a tune IMO.

Thank you for pointing that out,

Christian.

Originally posted by Christian:

Running even a drop-in filter with the newer, larger Subaru intakes requires a tune IMO.

So does this mean that I should replace my K&N drop-in filter with a stock filter? I just installed my AP today and flashed the stage1/93 Map. I did a quick run and it felt pretty nice but I noticed that it seems to idle low to the point of almost stalling. Could this be because of the K&N or do I just need to let it "break-in"? Other than the K&N and now the reflash i'm completely stock (2007 LGT,5MT).

Thanks,

Hanslo

Where can you see that information? PM me or post a link so I can have that address. That statement is only for the older style WRX/STi intakes and should have never been associated with a LGT or vehicles with the newer style intakes.

Nevermind, I've found it and I will try to get that text edited as soon as possible.

Second edit for the day. That text has been removed. I apologize for that misleading information. Running even a drop-in filter with the newer, larger Subaru intakes requires a tune IMO.

Thank you for pointing that out,

Christian.

I'm confused how I pointed that out to a Cobb employee 8 months ago and nothing was done about it. In fact, I was actually told the SF intake was perfectly safe to use with the Stage 2 OTS map. I believe the change in pill restrictor size between years of legacy actually had a larger effect on the overboosting scenario than the use of the SF intake. Either way, I was told my setup was no problem, and the issue was being caused by something else. If you're interested in exactly who I spoke with, just PM me for more details. I'll be more than happy to discuss it with you in more depth.

I gave up on Cobb and went with a custom tune. I was overboosting regularly on both v103 and v104 maps with STOCK filter. They told me I needed to change my restrictor pill which is BS since a custom tune corrected my problem. I spoke to both Christian and Chris Haig and they told me I need to change the restrictor pill or get a custom tune. After buying a $700 AP, I find this unacceptable. I will never spend another cent on a Cobb product after dealing with this. On top of it all Cobb has the worst customer service. I had to send more than 5 emails to 2 people before getting a single response. I sent them my logs as requested and never received another response so I gave up and emailed Infamous1. Cobb is dead to me, which is ashame since I love my sways. Thanks, had to get that out. :)

This has been going on for more than a year so I highly doubt they will ever put out a decent map to correct the overboost problem on newer LGTs.

I gave up on Cobb and went with a custom tune. I was overboosting regularly on both v103 and v104 maps with STOCK filter. They told me I needed to change my restrictor pill which is BS since a custom tune corrected my problem. I spoke to both Christian and Chris Haig and they told me I need to change the restrictor pill or get a custom tune. After buying a $700 AP, I find this unacceptable. I will never spend another cent on a Cobb product after dealing with this. On top of it all Cobb has the worst customer service. I had to send more than 5 emails to 2 people before getting a single response. I sent them my logs as requested and never received another response so I gave up and emailed Infamous1. Cobb is dead to me, which is ashame since I love my sways. Thanks, had to get that out. :)

This has been going on for more than a year so I highly doubt they will ever put out a decent map to correct the overboost problem on newer LGTs.

+1 My thoughts and experiences are very similar unfortunately. I couldn't recommend that my friend with an MS6 go with the Cobb AP do to cost. With the AP, not only are you in for the price of the AP, but a custom tune as well.

I'm confused how I pointed that out to a Cobb employee 8 months ago and nothing was done about it. In fact, I was actually told the SF intake was perfectly safe to use with the Stage 2 OTS map. I believe the change in pill restrictor size between years of legacy actually had a larger effect on the overboosting scenario than the use of the SF intake. Either way, I was told my setup was no problem, and the issue was being caused by something else. If you're interested in exactly who I spoke with, just PM me for more details. I'll be more than happy to discuss it with you in more depth.
Yes, you are welcome to e-mail me that information. I do not always have the ability to be up front to answer questions because I am working on other projects, but I would like to do what I can to make sure we are presenting accurate inforamtion to our users. You are welcome to e-mail me with your comments or concerns.

So does this mean that I should replace my K&N drop-in filter with a stock filter? I just installed my AP today and flashed the stage1/93 Map. I did a quick run and it felt pretty nice but I noticed that it seems to idle low to the point of almost stalling. Could this be because of the K&N or do I just need to let it "break-in"? Other than the K&N and now the reflash i'm completely stock (2007 LGT,5MT). Thanks, Hanslo
It is likely the car needs to learn fuel trims while running the K&N drop-in filter. The ECU won't be able to understand how far off the open-loop (WOT) fueling is due to the increased airflow, but it can compensate for closed-loop (idle and light throttle) situations.

Christian, What vintage are you deeming as "newer, larger LGT intakes"?
I've been on the dyno all afternoon and it is difficult or me to stay present on every forum, I try to respond as quickly as I can. Any LGT intake is considered the newer, larger intakes from Subaru. These larger (~72mm I believe) intakes are the ones that are sensitive to filter and intake changes.

+1 My thoughts and experiences are very similar unfortunately. I couldn't recommend that my friend with an MS6 go with the Cobb AP do to cost. With the AP, not only are you in for the price of the AP, but a custom tune as well.
That is unfortunate, the MS6 AP maps perform very well from what I have seen of external dyno graphs. The only other EMS option for that vehicle is almost twice as expensive as well.

Christian.

I have been asked to take over the map revision efforts for the 2007-2009 LGT MT, so I will be making this my priority for the next few weeks. I have tried to e-mail all that have e-mailed me about this issue earlier this morning. Please send me an e-mail if I've missed you. In order to keep things a bit more organized, please put "200X LGT MT v104 Beta Map Revisions" in the subject line.

I literally have over 400 unread e-mails right now and I will need as much assistance as possible to keep the incoming e-mails organized.

One thing I need to make sure everyone understands. Due to the revised boost control system in the newer Subarus, we will not be able to make OTS maps for catless exhaust systems. These smaller turbos with the revised boost control systems will require at least one high-flow catalyst to be installed in order to create some exhaust gas back-pressure after the turbo.

As with some vehicles, the combination of a larger bottom end, very effective boost control system (mechanically), and smaller turbo...having at least one high-flow catalyst installed after the turbo will be a requirement. Otherwise the turbo is likely to overrun given the above facts. Keeping the turbo under control will require some exhaust gas back-pressure behind the turbo. With the modern stainless steel substrate catalysts, I highly doubt much if any power will be left on the table if your run with at least one high-flow catalyst. Not to mention the air quality will be much improved by allowing exhaust gases to process through a catalyst.

If you choose to run a catless exhaust, you will likely need a custom tune.

I apologize for what may be perceived as a delay in responses from me, as I mentioned I have a significant number of unread e-mails now and I have not been in town for the last two weekends. I should be in town for the next coming weeks so I would like to stay focused on addressing this issue if you are willing to assist with testing of these Beta v104 maps.

Take care,

Christian.

Wow, that's really unfortunate considering I was planning on going catless. What are the issues with people running a stage 2 tune with a catless exhaust? If I were to go catless, couldn't I use the Stage 2 tune that it currently installed on my AP?

It is likely the car needs to learn fuel trims while running the K&N drop-in filter. The ECU won't be able to understand how far off the open-loop (WOT) fueling is due to the increased airflow, but it can compensate for closed-loop (idle and light throttle) situations.

Ok, no problem. I'll just switch back to a stock filter. I understand that this is the way the AP was programmed.

One thing I need to make sure everyone understands. Due to the revised boost control system in the newer Subarus, we will not be able to make OTS maps for catless exhaust systems. These smaller turbos with the revised boost control systems will require at least one high-flow catalyst to be installed in order to create some exhaust gas back-pressure after the turbo.

I see that a lot of people gut the first cat from the downpipe but leave the second one when flashing stage2. Do you think that the newer LGT owners are still ok? Would this setup provide enough back-pressure?

Thanks,

Hanslo

• 1 month later...

Trying to install the Accessport Manager and it keeps telling me WINUSB is not supported... I'm swapping to stage 2 today and I'm FUBAR if I can't load my map. Any ideas?

I've tried it on 3 PC's with 3 different OS, find it hard to believe its my USB drivers. Think the installation file is messed up. :-/

If anyone's got an installer file that's not screwed up, can you email it to me?

EDIT:

NVM - I guess because I updated the firmware and dongle before, the new installation needed me to run the updater again so it could tell me that it was up to date. Then it recognized the damned AP. :spin:

In any case... I'll be loading the E-tune on today instead of the OTS map. Can't wait. :cool:

• 2 months later...

Time to revive this thread :)

Cobb Tuning, anything new coming with the APv2 as far as logging parameters goes?

It would be nice to be able to log/watch knock correction. As it stands, it is hard to figure out especially for a newbie. Correct me if there is an easier procedure but as it stands I have to pull up the log, look at the DA and compare it with the DA table in ATR. Being able to watch FBKC and FLKC would be awesome.

later edit: seems this type of thing is not new at all. Making my way through the thread ...

http://www.cobbforums.com/forums/showthread.php?39845-Can-COBB-set-up-the-AP-to-read-FBKC/page2

• 1 year later...

Archived