LegacyGT.com

6000k *Japanese* VOLT HID Review

alaskajoel

Just thought I would give a little update:

Several months ago, I took this Volt kit out of my LGT with plans of selling the car. I sold the kit to a local buddy of mine who, aside from the poorly aimed headlights on his Spec.B, has not had any problems to my knowledge. I Liked this kit so much, I encouraged a friend (who owns a 08 wrx) to buy a set for himself and have me install them.

We did so, with little trouble initially. Of course, once it got cold, things change. In this case, they started doing the same thing the DDMs did - one would turn on, the other wouldn't...Problem repeated itself usually with the HIDs on, and THEN starting the car; However this was not always the case. Sometimes it would repeat the problem after the car had been started, just like the cheaper kits. We thought it was the low temperatures affecting the amperage of the battery, so we tested with another battery, but no difference. After making a wire relay harness, the problem seems to have mostly gone away, at least after the vehicle has been started. It still has about a 50% fail rate if the HIDs are ignited before cranking the car.

After a bit of frustration, I just decided to use a DEI time delay relay to delay the igniting until 5 seconds after power is applied. This setup hasn't failed yet.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a question, any help would be great. I just installed the 6000k volt kit into my 05 legacy and i was wondering if there is any way of running the drl's, cause if i do they flicker and i know thats caused due to the lower voltage.

You should actually disable DRL otherwise if someone turns off your light switch the lights will flicker and can be damaged.

The only way to have DRL with HID is to re-route the DRL to other lights. Not impossible but not easy either.

Oliver

• 2 months later...

So as far as the VOLT kit or any other kit is concerned. I get the feeling you get what you pay for. I never had problems with my OEM HIDS in my STi or my Acura TL. Why is it so difficult to make a kit that is as dependable as the OEM ones (in terms of igniting)?

I was looking to this thread to help solidify my purchase but has me second guessing the purchase again.

So as far as the VOLT kit or any other kit is concerned. I get the feeling you get what you pay for. I never had problems with my OEM HIDS in my STi or my Acura TL. Why is it so difficult to make a kit that is as dependable as the OEM ones (in terms of igniting)?

I was looking to this thread to help solidify my purchase but has me second guessing the purchase again.

If you want OEM reliability, then I'd recommend getting OEM ballasts, at minimum. Yes, they are more expensive, but not that bad. Here's a link to just one of the places you can get them. I have Matsushita ballasts in my new ride, and they have ignited 100% of the time for about six months so far. I recommend the extra money for extra quality.

http://store.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=176&osCsid=6622e6885da4da9c7c6c7d2a0cbc2491

Just thought I would give a little update:

Several months ago, I took this Volt kit out of my LGT with plans of selling the car. I sold the kit to a local buddy of mine who, aside from the poorly aimed headlights on his Spec.B, has not had any problems to my knowledge. I Liked this kit so much, I encouraged a friend (who owns a 08 wrx) to buy a set for himself and have me install them.

We did so, with little trouble initially. Of course, once it got cold, things change. In this case, they started doing the same thing the DDMs did - one would turn on, the other wouldn't...Problem repeated itself usually with the HIDs on, and THEN starting the car; However this was not always the case. Sometimes it would repeat the problem after the car had been started, just like the cheaper kits. We thought it was the low temperatures affecting the amperage of the battery, so we tested with another battery, but no difference. After making a wire relay harness, the problem seems to have mostly gone away, at least after the vehicle has been started. It still has about a 50% fail rate if the HIDs are ignited before cranking the car.

After a bit of frustration, I just decided to use a DEI time delay relay to delay the igniting until 5 seconds after power is applied. This setup hasn't failed yet.

I was considering going HIDs and attempting a time-delay for the ignition - thanks for posting that you've done this successfully, even more reason to do this. Now I just need to find the time...

Damn I just ordered the 55W 6k DDM kit before reading all the issues you guys have been having.. Hopefully it works. :/

Rest assured that if you just bought the new ddm 55w kit it's of far better quality than the ones I had used before ordering the VOLT kit. In fact I prefer the new 55w Raptor DDM kit over the VOLT kit by quite a large margin.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
One of the three kits I have installed is still working. The other two failed. Light output is great, but I haven't been any more impressed with the reliability compared to other aftermarket kits. I will say I have used a DDM raptor in my daily driver for fogs and low beams for almost 18 months now with no problems. I never turn them off, and they ignite every time. No time delay relay, and using the stock wiring (no harness). Others I have recommended them to have had similar results. I think doccrowley has had a bulb problem or two, but they are inexpensive to replace, and my OEM H7 bulbs died at least once a year.

One more thing: If you do this mod, please do it correctly. In my old age I have become cranky at every Civic/lifted F250 driver on the road with HIDs in halogen reflective headlights. Our projectors are not that great, but you can modify them so that they are not dangerous or annoying to others on the road. Follow this guide for help:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/get-rid-glare-w-stock-headlights-and-hid-82756.html?t=82756&highlight=glare+HID

One of the three kits I have installed is still working. The other two failed. Light output is great, but I haven't been any more impressed with the reliability compared to other aftermarket kits. I will say I have used a DDM raptor in my daily driver for fogs and low beams for almost 18 months now with no problems. I never turn them off, and they ignite every time. No time delay relay, and using the stock wiring (no harness). Others I have recommended them to have had similar results. I think doccrowley has had a bulb problem or two, but they are inexpensive to replace, and my OEM H7 bulbs died at least once a year.

Joel, when you talk about a kit not being more reliable than other kits are you talking about the Volt? DDM has a LOT more problems...You should see all the requests for warranty we get. This is especially true in the last few months since they've started shipping only from China with their no name ballasts. DDM warranty requires that you send the bad parts in. Wait for them to test (another week on average) and have them send a new part from China. That's a looong time.

The Volt kit is also a new one compared to the one you have and comes with a 2 year warranty....plus we don't ask people that buy Volt or Xtreme to send parts in if they are defective (unless someone seems to be abusing the procedure). That's how much more reliable they are and how seldom we have to do this. RMAs are very rare on the Volt and Xtreme. In the event that you're unlucky and need a new part we ship it to you right away so less downtime.

We sell worldwide but only accept to ship Volt or Xtreme overseas. The reason is that we simply don't want to have a customer overseas having to deal with a kit that is average in quality like what DDM sells right now. It would be frustrating for us and the customer.

If you need any help with a Volt kit with sold you let me know!

Oliver

Ive had my volts on for a few years now. Once in a great while Ill leave the lights on by accident and start my car. When I do the passenger side doesn't light up. I just shut off the switch turn it back on and its all good. Rarely happens.

Volt kit had been great IMHO.

Ive had my volts on for a few years now. Once in a great while Ill leave the lights on by accident and start my car. When I do the passenger side doesn't light up. I just shut off the switch turn it back on and its all good. Rarely happens.

Volt kit had been great IMHO.

Thanks! Glad you like your kit. A battery harness would solve that if you don't want to do the flipping switch thing. The new Volt kit also draws less power but you're good with the Volt kit you have. We just always improve our products.

Enjoy and thanks for the feedback! ;)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After 21k miles, my low beams went out... so it was time for HID! I went with the Volt 6500k set based on what all of you were saying about the Volts. They are awesome! I couldn't be happier with their appearance and performance so far. Install was not too bad either.

I changed the DRL to an LED, added a strip of LED's under the headlight housing, replaced the High Beam with a "6000k" Xenon and added some yellow tint over my fogs while I was at it.

http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab342/jdiggitys/DSC_0110.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Just to bump this. Had the problems with my OEM lows going out every 3 months. Previous owner disable the DRL so it was time to go HID. Ordered the Volt kit and after 3 months or so of it sitting on my work bench, waiting for my bulb to go out again I finally got it installed. Light output is excellent. It's getting colder here in MD so I'll keep you posted on any issues or if they go trouble free (hopefully).

Archived