LegacyGT.com

6000k *Japanese* VOLT HID Review

alaskajoel

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would have been nice if you would have supported a forum sponsor though...

Oliver

I disagree. I bought a DDM kit from Xenonexpert about two months ago for about $150. I thought that I was getting a quality kit, but it has been nothing but a pain in the arse. I NEVER get both lights fired up at the same time, even with a new Diehard Platinum and battery harness. Very frustrating and unacceptable. I just ordered the Japanese kit from KB carstuff as well. If the forum sponsor was more up front about the true quality of DDM kits and what you can expect from them, he would have gotten more business from me.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just curious. For those of you who do have the Volt kit; have you had any problems with it, and how they are holding up? I'm looking into doing a conversion, and I think I've narrowed it down to the Volts, and Extreme's.

Also does anyone know if there is a review for the Extreme's? I've searched and have not been able to find one.

I was just curious. For those of you who do have the Volt kit; have you had any problems with it, and how they are holding up? I'm looking into doing a conversion, and I think I've narrowed it down to the Volts, and Extreme's.

Also does anyone know if there is a review for the Extreme's? I've searched and have not been able to find one.

I just got the Extreme's and they fire up right away, both at the same time no matter what. Definitely not as bright as my 55w DDMs were but it is a cleaner more even light. The one thing I am surprised about is that the DDM wiring harness is actually alittle nicer and the Extreme ballasts are HUGE compared to the DDM. Ballast are about the same size (length/width) but about 2-3 times taller/thicker, heavy too. I'm very happy with the light output, though.

Hey King,

Thanks for the info. After reading your first sentence, it made me lean more towards the Extreme's. But then after your comment and actually drawing out the sizes of the ballasts of the Volt and Extreme's I'm back in the middle. I never realized how fat the extremes were.

Did you have a hard time finding a place to put your Extreme ballasts? Light Quality and output are still my main priorities, so chances are I will get the Exteme's unless I find out the Volts are of similar quality and output. The other thing that will kill the Extreme's would be if they are hard to place cuz of their size.

Hey King,

Thanks for the info. After reading your first sentence, it made me lean more towards the Extreme's. But then after your comment and actually drawing out the sizes of the ballasts of the Volt and Extreme's I'm back in the middle. I never realized how fat the extremes were.

Did you have a hard time finding a place to put your Extreme ballasts? Light Quality and output are still my main priorities, so chances are I will get the Exteme's unless I find out the Volts are of similar quality and output. The other thing that will kill the Extreme's would be if they are hard to place cuz of their size.

If you go 6000K and want to save some mulla get the Volt. They work great.

Oliver

Hey Oliver,

Have you had any complaints about the Volts so far? Also did you have any issues placing the Extreme ballasts? I'm looking at the 5000k Extreme's and of course the 6000k Volts. Also how does the light output compare between the two?

Thanks,

Hey Oliver,

Have you had any complaints about the Volts so far? Also did you have any issues placing the Extreme ballasts? I'm looking at the 5000k Extreme's and of course the 6000k Volts. Also how does the light output compare between the two?

Thanks,

None. Zero warranty issues.

Xtreme ballasts are bigger but they are still smaller than Philips ballasts. I didn't have any trouble finding a spot behind each headlight.

Volt and Xtreme light output is about the same. The difference is that the Xtreme ballasts are built like a tank and can take all sort of punishments.

Oliver

Oliver

Hey King,

It was definitely harder than mounting the DDMs, but I found space. Under the vendor classifieds there is a Xenon Expert thread that has some pretty good photos. I didn't take any and have to admit that I was rushed and did mine a little sloppy, will go back in another time and clean it up. Light output is very nice and definitely cleaner but not as bright as the DDM 55w. Like I said, these fire up right away, no problems... Nice!!!

DDM is a Chinese made kit and use Chinese parts. Its a good Chinese kit but it's not as good as HID kits like the Volt and Xtreme that use Japanese parts.

Volt is made in Taiwan with Japanese parts. Xtreme is made in Japan with Japanese parts.

Xtreme is still the best and most rugged kit out there. -2F tonight and I ALWAYS keep my lights to the on position. They light up every time.

But if you're looking at 6000K, the VOLT kit is the best value around because it's super reliable and cheaper than Xtreme.

What is the difference between Chinese and Japanese parts aside from the location of manufacturing?

What are the operating temperatures (temps in which the ballasts/bulbs will work) for the DDM, Extreme, and VOLT kits? I live in a northern climate and I REQUIRE reliability. Assuming that they are all -40 C to 105 C, what happens if the temperature is below -40 C?

I'm not smart enough to know what -40 C equates to in F, but I live in Alaska. It was recently hitting -30's, and my DDM's actually fired every time in those temps., which was counter-intuitive to what I was expecting. In normal temps, the passenger low-beam mis-fires about 25% of the time on start-up. The rest do fine every time. This seems to be a particular issue with just that light common to LGT's that nobody has been able to figure out yet.

What is the difference between Chinese and Japanese parts aside from the location of manufacturing?

Chinese parts go for the lowest cost and this often result in average reliability. Japanese parts have a higher standard but cost a bit more.

Oliver

• 4 weeks later...

I tried a search but couldn't seem to come up with the info I'm looking for. How much more heat do these generate? Do they affect the stock reflector/lens setup at all (i.e. will they overheat them)? I'm really interested in the 4300K set of Volts. Sounds like quality parts. And do you have a PDF of the installation instructions somewhere I could take a gander at?

-joe-

I tried a search but couldn't seem to come up with the info I'm looking for. How much more heat do these generate? Do they affect the stock reflector/lens setup at all (i.e. will they overheat them)? I'm really interested in the 4300K set of Volts. Sounds like quality parts. And do you have a PDF of the installation instructions somewhere I could take a gander at?

-joe-

Hi,

Your stock halogen bulbs generate more heat than 35W HID so it will not be a problem at all for your light housing.

http://www.xenonexpert.com/volt_hid_sale.html

Install: Older kit but basically same process: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69506

Oliver

Archived