LegacyGT.com

Intake Silencer Removal

Pricci09

What's interesting is that this noise definitely was not there prior. I have 36K miles, and took it off for about 4 hours before replacing, so I have a good reference of what it was like prior. It's been replaced for almost a month now, and it has not changed. could i have knocked something loose?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just put mine back on, had it off for a couple months, now that i think about it, I'm pretty sure the car felt a little funny after I removed it

does it do anything to reset the ECU learning now that I've put it back after three months of driving without it?

What's interesting is that this noise definitely was not there prior. I have 36K miles, and took it off for about 4 hours before replacing, so I have a good reference of what it was like prior. It's been replaced for almost a month now, and it has not changed. could i have knocked something loose?

you probably just actually notice it now because you heard it. now you know when to listen for it and do it unintentionally

Im not an expert at air intakes, but i think you guys are all blowing this silly silencer thing out of proportion. Every Subaru i have ever sat in has a funny, constantly fluctuating idle. This can not be blamed on the intake silencer. Also there is no way your gas mileage increased by 3mpg from reinstalling the silencer. This change in mileage was probably due to a change in driving habits.

If removing this simple jug from the bottom of your air box causes all these problems, then wouldnt a high flow filter be the worst thing you could possibly do?

Im not an expert at air intakes, but i think you guys are all blowing this silly silencer thing out of proportion. Every Subaru i have ever sat in has a funny, constantly fluctuating idle. This can not be blamed on the intake silencer. Also there is no way your gas mileage increased by 3mpg from reinstalling the silencer. This change in mileage was probably due to a change in driving habits.

If removing this simple jug from the bottom of your air box causes all these problems, then wouldnt a high flow filter be the worst thing you could possibly do?

enough said

everyone has different experiences when they remove their intake silencers, plain and simple

I recieved a CEL but it was like a couple months after the fact. The code disappeared before I could check what it was for. I just threw the silencer back in anyway because I hated the civic sounding intake more than I loved the woosh sound.

I recieved a CEL but it was like a couple months after the fact. The code disappeared before I could check what it was for. I just threw the silencer back in anyway because I hated the civic sounding intake more than I loved the woosh sound.

IMO I don't think anything about our motors sound "Civic" at all.. :spin:

I have had mine removed since July and haven't had any issues.

You don't think you're having any problems. Do some data logging and you'll see your MAF oscillating. Also google "helmholtz resonator" for a lot of interesting information.

You don't think you're having any problems. Do some data logging and you'll see your MAF oscillating. Also google "helmholtz resonator" for a lot of interesting information.

why does taking off the jug make the MAF oscillate? I wouldn't think it wouldn't affect the MAF since the air still has to get through the filter.. sounds like it would become a serious detriment for the car but I haven't ever heard of it with any other vehicle that I've toyed with.. the helmholtz resonator information is interesting but really doesn't say anything about how it is benificial to the vehicle in any other way than changing the intake tone. please explain how this is relative to the oscillating MAF? I think you need to clean your MAF maybe..?

• 3 months later...
wonder if i could suck up rain water with the hole exposed that connects the silencer to the airbox? got rid of my aem cai because of this.. any comments ?? anyone driven in a downpour with the silencer off?

if you look at the design of our stock setup with the air duct that is routed to the front of the hood you would acually pick up more water in a downpour through that than I think would come up and into the 3 inch hole.... I live in seattle and I have yet to "suck up" any rain water at all..

• 1 month later...

I still do not see any evidence that removing the silencer from the airbox causes issues. The results are too sporadic. Some say nothing went wrong, some say they have issues. If you look at it scientifically, you can't really say removing the silencer from the airbox WILL cause issues. May cause issues, probably.

I am still not understanding how removing a silencer is causing these issues. Are people making sure they did not damage their MAF? Reconnected the MAF properly? How badly are people man-handling the air box while getting to the silencer?

I am not calling BS on anyone having issues, this is more on my end on trying to understand the situation. I will still be performing this mod regardless and see what happens. From what I see, nothing will happen aside from more noise.

For the guy that says it sounded too rice or like a Honda, you know we have Boxer engines, right? :lol: Our engines sound much nicer than those buzzsaw grocery runners.

I still do not see any evidence that removing the silencer from the airbox causes issues.

I didn't believe it either, until I read this from MickeyD, a very respectable tuner:

"The silencer is a different issue. Taking out the silencer can cause MAF oscillations at 2500-2700 rpm in 5th gear under full boost. This is only an issue with small turbos such as the VF40 because large turbos can't build enough boost in this rpm range to make it a problem."

Now, given this is with a Stage II map - it still shows that the silencer DOES have an affect on the performance of the engine.

I'm throwing my silencer back in when I go Stage II today...

"so if you turbo or supercharge the engine then you may as well get rid of it." got that from the second post in the Soarer link.

My son removed mine back in July 04. I have been at AP stage 1 93 octane since Dec 04, 99,000 miles ago. Just had Tuning Alliance reflash and data log last Saturday. Mike said everything looks good.

I have been getting as much as 27+ mpg at 68mph, for short periods the dash well show just over 30mpg.

I have been driving it pretty hard the past week. Last night filled the tank. Did a few full boost pull's through the gears, in about 10 miles, mileage showed 21.2 this morning before a 80 mile round trip on the highway at 68mph. got home, the dash showed 24.6 mpg.

107,000 miles on the engine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I didn't believe it either, until I read this from MickeyD, a very respectable tuner:

"The silencer is a different issue. Taking out the silencer can cause MAF oscillations at 2500-2700 rpm in 5th gear under full boost. This is only an issue with small turbos such as the VF40 because large turbos can't build enough boost in this rpm range to make it a problem."

Now, given this is with a Stage II map - it still shows that the silencer DOES have an affect on the performance of the engine.

I'm throwing my silencer back in when I go Stage II today...

But I have an '09 LGT. It has the VF52 turbo, correct? So then this should not be an issue, according to the statement?

But I have an '09 LGT. It has the VF52 turbo, correct? So then this should not be an issue, according to the statement?

It has a vf46, and the boost oscillation should only be an issue at low rpm in 5th gear if you've tuned your car. I don't think it's an issue with stock boost.

Archived