LegacyGT.com

Intake Silencer Removal

Pricci09

I own a JDM LGT Stg 1 and i used to experience sporadic boost-cut issues in 4th, 5th, or 6th gear.(Not at the same time)

After a talk with my tuner we decided to remove the K&N panel filter that i had installed(went back to stock), and also put the intake silencer back in.

Since then my car is running with no problems and i also noticed a slight increase in performance(since removing the intake silencer was causing the engine to heatsoak more IMHO)

I am not saying that the intake silencer removal was definately the sole cause of my problems, but i wanted to share my experience with you and hopefully you will find it helpful! :)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I put mine back in today after cleaning my engine compartment, and so far all I noticed is that it doesn't have that bassy tone when I stomp on it.

I'll have to see about gas mileage in the next few weeks. I could tell if it affected mileage pretty well as I have kept pretty good tabs on my mpg (almost obsessively.)

"This is an adventure."

I removed my silencer about 2 weeks ago installed the diy open induction cover however i did notice gas mileage went down fom 21 mpg to 17.4 today i reinstalled everything back to stock and drove around throughout the day and the dash showed a drop again in mpg now shows 13.5 mpg has anyone had this issue could this be the ecu being confused due to the a/f changes. And is that reading on the dash accurate to anyones knowledge????

I don't think you can make judgments on mileage after just driving around town for the day. You need to observe the mileage over a larger (and more consistent) period of time.
"This is an adventure."

I think there's some who sell "cap" to block this hole.

I experimented with capping this opening this weekend and imo if you're going to cap it you might as well leave the resonator in place. The deep sound seems to come from having air drawn in through this hole. When I covered it, that sound went away. I also did some testing with/without the resonator and found my af learning to be much tighter (within 1%) with it on, and my IATs slightly lower. I would think in the IAT thing is only slightly lower due to it being so hot out right now. In the winter, there is a chance the IATs could come in slightly lower. As for the af learning, with the resonator off my ranges were all within 4-5% off. If you are going to keep this mod, you may want to slightly rescale your maf for it.

I notice that when it's cold outside (with our super summer!), the car is OK. But when is warm, the car shake on idle. Dunno if there's any link with the silencer.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Resurrecting a old thread.

Today I came up with the idea to remove the intake silencer and connect something to the hole that provides cold air. Maybe a hose that leads to the bottom of the engine bay, near the bottom grille. I'm planning on putting some kind of filter inbetween. Anyone tried something like this?

You can get an elbow for it I think. People have done it. I took mine off and noticed no difference other than noise so it's back on. Not worth the hassle of taking it out and screwing with scaling the maf or worrying about anything for a dumb little sound in my book. But hey, if you like it, I love it.

You can get an elbow for it I think. People have done it. I took mine off and noticed no difference other than noise so it's back on. Not worth the hassle of taking it out and screwing with scaling the maf or worrying about anything for a dumb little sound in my book. But hey, if you like it, I love it.

This ^^^ plus the fact that "silencer" also smooths low end torque.

But, it is fun to play, and everyone has to start somewhere. Eventually, however, as your playing becomes more sophisticated and knowledge-based you will view this thread with a smile while shaking your head at the early days.:)

I took mine off for all of about 15 minutes so I don't know anything about fuel economy but I had to see what the fuss was about. Wasn't impressed. I took it off, drove around the block and logged it, checked the log against another with it on and put it back on. No crazy voltages but it wasn't in 5th gear either. I just didn't care enough to mess with it any further.

Thanks for responding guys.

I took it off just to hear what it sounds like.

It did produce some kind of suction sound, but that sounded like crap.

Idle was fine. Low end torque not smooth indeed.

Tested some stuff with OBD2 device / iPhone.

Intake temperature went up by one degree celcius.

So...slammed the jug back in and that's the end of that. :lol:

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

First post here... registered a couple days ago and stumbled upon this looking for an up pipe DIY.

Anyway, I believe there's an extreme amount of misinformation in this thread about how a Hemholtz resonator work. A Hemholtz resonator will do nothing for airflow or performance. It cancels out a range of sound frequencies depending on its size and design, which is why it's used as an intake silencer.

I've switched to the Subaru camp from Volkswagen/Audi and those guys love "swiss cheesing" their air boxes - drilling or dremeling a bunch of holes into the intake side of the airbox to effectively eliminate the intake snorkel as an air restriction. That is essentially what one is doing when removing the silencer on these air boxes without plugging the hole.

The downside to that is now, you're not only sucking air in through the vent in the front grille, but you're also sucking air (hot air) in from the engine bay. Hot air, that is measured by the IAT sensor, causing the ECU to adjust its operating parameters. The ECU will introduce more fuel into the engine because the higher IATs (resulting in higher temp air into the cylinders) can lead to knocking and detonation. The ECU will combat this with dumping slightly more fuel, which some of you see in your drop in fuel economy. I did it on my Jetta for S&Gs, and noticed a similar drop in fuel economy and corresponding increase in IATs.

The MAF MAY start reading "funny" because of the increased flow through the filter, or at least ease of flow assuming the filter isn't the restriction and the intake snorkel/duct is. It MAY start reading "funny" because of the change in direction of flow, where Subaru engineers may have designed their airbox to direct and straighten the air before hitting the sensor. Who knows?

All I know is that I can assure you that a Hemholtz resonator does nothing for performance or affect the way an engine runs in any way whatsoever. I don't care what an article or forum post says otherwise, as I deal Hemholtz resonators on a daily basis.

First post here... registered a couple days ago and stumbled upon this looking for an up pipe DIY.

Anyway, I believe there's an extreme amount of misinformation in this thread about how a Hemholtz resonator work. A Hemholtz resonator will do nothing for airflow or performance. It cancels out a range of sound frequencies depending on its size and design, which is why it's used as an intake silencer.

I've switched to the Subaru camp from Volkswagen/Audi and those guys love "swiss cheesing" their air boxes - drilling or dremeling a bunch of holes into the intake side of the airbox to effectively eliminate the intake snorkel as an air restriction. That is essentially what one is doing when removing the silencer on these air boxes without plugging the hole.

The downside to that is now, you're not only sucking air in through the vent in the front grille, but you're also sucking air (hot air) in from the engine bay. Hot air, that is measured by the IAT sensor, causing the ECU to adjust its operating parameters. The ECU will introduce more fuel into the engine because the higher IATs (resulting in higher temp air into the cylinders) can lead to knocking and detonation. The ECU will combat this with dumping slightly more fuel, which some of you see in your drop in fuel economy. I did it on my Jetta for S&Gs, and noticed a similar drop in fuel economy and corresponding increase in IATs.

The MAF MAY start reading "funny" because of the increased flow through the filter, or at least ease of flow assuming the filter isn't the restriction and the intake snorkel/duct is. It MAY start reading "funny" because of the change in direction of flow, where Subaru engineers may have designed their airbox to direct and straighten the air before hitting the sensor. Who knows?

All I know is that I can assure you that a Hemholtz resonator does nothing for performance or affect the way an engine runs in any way whatsoever. I don't care what an article or forum post says otherwise, as I deal Hemholtz resonators on a daily basis.

Not to be critical of your technical, scientific acumen... nor of your stated professional occupational experience, but it is "Helmholtz" not Hemholtz, something I'd think a person with your background would know.

Further, for many years (yes, many) there have been glimpses into the reasoning behind the development of intake systems employed by most car makers. Here is one:

http://www.ehow.com/info_12156112_air-intake-resonator-do.html

Anyone who has diligently datalogged comparative differences between "with and without," as well as those with accurately calibrated "butt dynos" will confirm that removal of the factory intake system resonators negatively affects low-end performance. It is not debateable. It is fact.

Where I work, we refer to them as "tanks" versus a Helmholtz, but if that's all there is to nit pick...

Like I said, the increased IATs due to drawing air in from the engine bay through the open hole versus only through the duct could explain the reduced power.

I can assure you that an empty cavity with one way in and out can in no way affect how air moves through the air box. I'd like to know how the cars with issues react if you plug the hole with something other than the silencer after resetting the ECU (disconnect battery for a couple minutes, at least in a Volkswagen) to make the ECU re-adapt.

What happens to the pulse harmonics with an aftermarket intake?

Good question. But once OEM is breached subtleties like that get put away in boxes with the plastic bits we no longer use.

Into the same box go the soft bushings replaced by nice firm ones. Etc.

Driveability? NVH? It all becomes relative not too far over the crest of The Slippery Slope...

Archived