LegacyGT.com

Any tips for rear diff, rear axle and rear hub removal?

Since I'll be pulling the engine it's a great opportunity for the 6-speed swap I was planning for spring. The swap involves swapping rear diff and rear axles. While I am there I'll be also putting SpecB aluminum trailing arms, which involves removing the wheel bearing hub from the arm.

Did anyone remove these? Any tips? Subaru calls for a special axle puller tool, which I am not interested in buying. Any less sophisticated methods of removing the axle form the hub but better than BFH?

How about removing the hub? Does it sit tight in the arm?

Perhaps I should consider getting new bearings, but mine are fine at 44k miles, plus Subaru extended warranty on them so it's kinda waste to junk them.

AVO CAB? I think you're talking about *front* lower control arm bushing. Taking front control arms off is actually uber easy. Bushings replacement need press though, it's handy to have replacement arms ready.

I am going to change rear arms, diff and axles...

When I was contemplating doing this I found a few helpful hints:

1. You will need to replace the 4 (per side) Grade 8 or 10 bolts that secure the hub to the arm, with slightly shorter bolts because the arm is thinner at that location than the steel units. I will see if I can dig up the thread, pitch, and length.

2. You must be careful removing the hub units, so unlock the axle nut, loosen the 4 bolts slightly. Use a dead-blow or rubber mallet and hit the heads of the bolt to push it off the axle.

3. You can rent the axle puller tool from any Autozone/PepBoys/VIP with a deposit that is 100% refundable when you return the tool.

So you are going from a R160 rear to a R180? Spec b's have the R180 correct?

I have been doing a lot of thinking to get the rear hubs form an 08 sti to fit on our Spec B's. Does anyone make race hubs for the LGT? If so then there would be no reason besides wheels to go to the 5x114.

Thoughts.

what is the difference between the Torsen LSD and a LSD? (nothing?)

Are the 06sti half shaves same lenght but different end on it to fit the sti hub?

I might try to go 5x114 all the way around using my current al spec b trailing arms. My major question is hub stick out distances?

I don't think WRX STI axles are same length but I don't know for sure. I am using SpecB axels.

All helical (Torsen is one implmentation) LSDs, clutch LSDs and viscous LSDs work on quite different principle. Lots of info on the net.

Possible, again hard to tell without measuring them off the car.

I am also curious about 5x114.5 hub swap from 08 sti. Front would almost certainly bolt on, rear might be a problem. Btw, even if they fit, a potential issue is the hub compatibility with our ABS sensor/ABS module.

But then a race prepped LGT could do without ABS anyway....

Well, clutch type is not bad for DD - it's arguably better in really bad conditions like ice than helical (so is VLSD). Torsen works as an open diff if one wheel has no traction, like on ice.

So Torsion is the worst and the spec b has 3 of them arrg

How much are these clutch still LSD's?

The Spec.B only has one Torsen diff (rear), and a viscous coupling center diff. The front diff is open on all Legacies, that I'm aware of.

Torsen is only "worse" than VC or clutch when one wheel has very low traction (ice or if you are autox-ing and the inside wheel lifts)... If you can keep the wheels on the ground, the Torsen will react faster than VC or clutch.

Torsen isn't the worst(it's jsut different) and the spec. B only has 1.

The only real drawbacks of Torsen is that it acts as an open differential, if one wheel doesn't have traction and its heavier then a clutch type.

Clutch type LSD need to be adjusted all time to get the maximum performance and action isn't instaneous like Torsen. However, because of their adjustability you can do some interesting things and they provide lock even if one wheel loses traction.

Quaife is a good place to start to lean about HLSD

http://www.quaife.co.uk/What-is-a-Quaife-ATB-differential

BTW - there are different version of "torsen" type differentials but basic operation remaisn the same.

• 1 year later...

Archived