LegacyGT.com

rear strut removal

captainmorgan

So I'm trying to remove the rear coilover from my 05 OBXT, and the bolt holding the lower mount to the wheel hub is rusted in place. I've tried hitting it with a 5lb hammer, hit it with my 900ftlb air impact wrench, heated it up, and soaked it in PB blaster. The nut came off fine, the bolt itself just will not budge!

I'm out of ideas and I need help!

Huh.... That sux. I'd try using metal hammer and tapping it firmly over and over, up and down, back and forth to try and loosen it up. Try tapping as opposed to brute force.

I have the spring on the coilover spun down so that its not putting any pressure on the hub. I'm doing sways at this time too, so they are diconnected as well. I've tried jacking both sides of it and hitting it with the hammer, impact wrench, and air chisel. I might just cut it off and press it out....... maybe. Gotta get this down before snowfall!

I'll try working it up and down a bit. I guess two winter's driving was just too much rust for it!

I have the spring on the coilover spun down so that its not putting any pressure on the hub.

But the sway bar might if the other side is not level with respect to the one you are working on.

it's not the threads silly. who coats the whole bolt in anti-seize? dare I say nobody?

Did I say anti seize on threads, silly? :rolleyes:

Yes, I am suggesting to coat the non-thread bolt shaft with anti-seize. I anti-seize ball joints, even the surface between rotors and hubs. That way I don't have to muscle anything next time I need to replace them.

Archived