LegacyGT.com

is my 2009 legacy a lemon?

so.. my 2009 legacygt with 1100 miles is making a clanking noise at about 2000rpms and above. it just started making this noise this morning. i warmed the car up and drove it downtown. when i got to a light i started to hear it.it is in the revs maybe even turbo related? not so bad at idle but still there. had it towed to subaru will find out monday.anyone else have similar issues? it is an auto with no mods.

Damn another one!? Search around on here, there have been quite a few members on here that have blown motors in their '09's with a few 1000 miles or less.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98309&highlight=2009

Here is one member that had his let go at 264 miles. I would demand a new car if the engine tanked so soon in its life. Good luck

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Whether or not it's a lemon depends entirely on your state's lemon laws. Merely buying a new car that has a problem doesn't make it a lemon. Typically it's something like requiring multiple service visits within a defined period of time to attempt to fix the same issue.

Don't accept anything less than a new car. Both my car (2009 spec.B) and a NASIOC.com member's 2009 WRX ran into this exact problem... Mine at 264 miles, his at 239 miles!

We're getting new cars but they're claiming they've "Never seen this before..."

Do not let them fix or put a new engine in your car! Demand a new one. If they try and give you grief, please PM me to get in touch with me. I feared this would become a trend... I have a "Plan B" in mind for this such circumstance. It has 3 words in it, and they start with C, A, and S.

Get in touch with me if you get any sort of resistance.

--------

Additionally, depending on your state's lemon laws this may not immediately be categorized as a lemon. In Washington state they have to had "tried" to fix the same safety-related issue 3 times before the car is classified as a lemon (within the first 24 months or 24k miles...regardless of how many owners). For non-safety issues (such as electrical, interior finish, etc), it's 4 times. Anything that causes the vehicle to become inoperable while driving (such as a seized engine due to spun rod bearings/thrown rods) is considered a potential safety-issue, so in WA that would fall under the 3 "tries" category.

HOWEVER, if a vehicle is in the shop for more than 30 days for warranty related repairs within those first 24k miles, it also falls under lemon law!

Okay, so neither of these describe your circumstances (sounds like this would be your first time in for this issue), but what could happen is that if this is a major manufacturing flaw and there are enough cases, it opens up the doors for other means of compensation. This varies from state to state, but if it becomes a nation-wide issue then Federal regulations take effect.

I have heard of some 08+ STIs are having probelms with the bottom end internals some with less than 1kmiles on them aswell. Im not sure if the 09 legacys and 08+ STIs have the same bottom end but it seems to be happening alot.

They do.

This issue affects ALL Subarus equipped with the 2.5T, regardless of heads, vehicle model, etc...

This is also a bigger issue than SOA initially admitted to, and is still hesitating to admit.

When I *know* of another car at my dealer with the same problem (the person with the 2009 WRX ironically purchased it from the same dealer), and they still say "We've never seen this before..." I know there is pressure from higher up in the pyramid to deny this being an actual trend.

Suddenly a few dash rattles that we all complained about 4 years ago doesn't seem so bad...

Sorry, I won't pollute the thread any further. I just can't believe all these new issues popping up on cars that are basically unchanged for the last 4 years... am I missing something? Did they go to a new engine parts supplier this year?

In order to understand what "could have" gone wrong, you need to realize that design alone does not make or encompass (sp?) a product's quality... There is a little something called "manufacturing" that plays a major role... Probably 90% of it.

Manufacturing processes are changed almost on a constant basis for most major products. This, generally, to cope with things such as demand, but most importantly, costs...

The very late 2008's (Jan 08 mfg dates and above), and pretty much all 2009's built at the beginning of the year fell victim to cost-reduced manufacturing processes that focused very little on longetivity and product quality.

This could have been as simple as a machine being calibrated off spec (even by a very minimal margin), to weaker materials being used.

Yes which is why im asking if anything changed internally for the STI from 07-08. That would give you an idea if its a material issue or just something they overlooked. If nothing at all changed then it would def be the how it was all put together. You need to demand forged internals replace the stockers.

Yes which is why im asking if anything changed internally for the STI from 07-08. That would give you an idea if its a material issue or just something they overlooked. If nothing at all changed then it would def be the how it was all put together. You need to demand forged internals replace the stockers.

SOA won't say. And, they won't even let me look at my car up close (even though I legally still own it). :mad:

They have it in a "restricted area" of the shop, and was told by the dealer that SOA is having the car shipped back to them for "further research". Not sure as to the validity of this, as the car currently has no engine in it (you'd think it would be more cost effective to simply ship the engine back).

they want the entire car there.

i believe you said they are getting you an new car correct?

the first car that died, they want it back so they can pretty much trash it once they figure out everything.

they (Subaru) want to know everything about the car, then basically get rid of the evidence it existed.

or use it for in house testing.

even if they take just the engine back.. what happens to the rest of the car? the dealer is told to junk it, which they just part it out for replacement parts in the Service dept. I think they know the problem, maybe it was the same as the stop sale they had, maybe there is 2 things... and they only knew of the one.

Hypothetical: Lets say there is a trans problem that just makes the engine problem they know of, expotentionaly worse. trans goes in an 06 at the dealer, dealer pockets the extra cash, 6 months later... same engine problem, different year car... Now we are talking trouble. Subaru is just doing the CYA they should.

on a different subject but I have had my car in to get aligned twice in the past 6 months. The first time was totally my fault since i slide on some ice into a curb but today he showed me the alignment specs and it said my front alignment was something like -29 and the range its supposed to be in is -.05 to -.08. (Correct me if im wrong) This time I have not hit any curbs or hitting any big pot holes.

Archived