LegacyGT.com

is my 2009 legacy a lemon?

looks like i may reconsider the 09 lancer ralliart, if reliability (one of subarus strong points) proves to be poor

and how many mitsubishi's do you see at the track? reliablitliy has never been a strong point for mitsubishi. EVO's break its their job..or if you dont believe me go check out some DSM forums... sure they can run 9's rather inexpensivly... but only once a year.......maybe

back on topic.. that really sucks i hope everything turns out ok.. i would demand a new car.. you dont want that on your car's history report if you ever look to sell it.. you dont want a car thats already got problems and needs work.. ask the dealership what "new" means again.. im pretty sure rebuilt is not a definition of new...

you bought a brand new car you deserve a brand new car end of story

Maybe they cheaped out on bearings this year, not a good thing to cheap out on lol. I had a main bearing go in my malibus first 355 and it still ran it just made the frount end jump up and down as i drove home. And yes i drove home, i was very angry as it was january 1st early in the morning and i was on my way home from a party with very little sleep and still kinda drunk.

Maybe they cheaped out on bearings this year, not a good thing to cheap out on lol. I had a main bearing go in my malibus first 355 and it still ran it just made the frount end jump up and down as i drove home. And yes i drove home, i was very angry as it was january 1st early in the morning and i was on my way home from a party with very little sleep and still kinda drunk.

Mine still ran, albeit you could feel a power loss (probably the inefficiency of an unbalanced rod's motion "off track" from the spun bearing). But I was able to drive it in this state to a safe location.

Mine still ran, albeit you could feel a power loss (probably the inefficiency of an unbalanced rod's motion "off track" from the spun bearing). But I was able to drive it in this state to a safe location.

I felt more than power loss lol, i spun a main bearing not a rod bearing, the crank shaft was now spinning without a bearing causeing the engine to jerk so hard the front end would bounce 1 foot up and down. By the tiem i got hoem it was spraying oil everywhere, i was planning on replacing the 350hp engine in it anyway, up to a 355 that put out 450hp.

I felt more than power loss lol, i spun a main bearing not a rod bearing, the crank shaft was now spinning without a bearing causeing the engine to jerk so hard the front end would bounce 1 foot up and down. By the tiem i got hoem it was spraying oil everywhere, i was planning on replacing the 350hp engine in it anyway, up to a 355 that put out 450hp.

OUCH! :eek:

• 3 weeks later...
Hey guys i recently bout an 09 Legacy gt.... motor went bye bye 1,900 miles. They said the rod bearing was overtorqued or undertorque from the factory. They had to order the shortblock and everything else "from japan they say".... took them about 4-5 days to get everything in the mail . Well it was suppose to be ready in about a week and half..still no car 3 weeks later.. First reason why isnt wasnt ready the cam seal was leaking after they put it back together .... then there was an oil leak... then the cam bolt was stripped or something. Im getting really mad with these guys.

Actually Subaru is only obligated to repair or replace the defective part or parts. Read your warranty. If they can do that in less than three repair attempts and 30 days in the shop (in most states) it won't even qualify as a lemon. Why replace the entire car if only the engine is bad? Do you replace your wardrobe when you get a hole in a sock?

Why replace the entire car if only the engine is bad? Do you replace your wardrobe when you get a hole in a sock?

valid point opie.... everything can be fixed, replaced, restored... its the beauty of cars...

at the same time bozey it wouldnt be a bad idea to contact SoA and let them know what has happened and that you are unsatisfied with the way the dealer handled everything... for instance did they give you a free rental?? they should have... it wont hurt to put in a complaint... hopefully the dealership will learn from their mistakes and offer better customer service in the future... at least they are being honest and up front with you about the problems with your vehicle... and you could definatly get an extended powertrain warranty out of the deal... good luck with everything

Well, more than one new owner on this forum has insisted on a new car and received it due to this issue - only when they demanded it though. The idea being that you will take higher depreciation on a pretty much brand new car due to a blown engine within the first few miles of ownership.

To each his own. But, if I spent $35K and found out SOA knew all about this problem and cars were still on the lot - I would be one pissed of m**f**. I would insist on a new car at the very least.

i picked up m the car a week after the problem. they installeda complete new motor.i asked themif the old motor was still there,they showed me the old one.it was a complete motor swap. but when i aked if it was the same problem as the stop sale they said no it was different.which made me feel like it was a lem not just bad motor. so i got tired of games went to stevens creek management and demanded a new car it cost me a little money. trying to recoup that from subaru(oil changes?big services30000/60000? warrranty ) doesnt really worry me. more concerned with new car having same problem since it seems as if it was the same problem. but i didnt run the motor into the ground like most people with this issue.they all played dumb at the dealership saying it wasnt same issue then sayingt hey hadnt seen one with bad motor RECALL(they had forester xt)and then saying my car was not same issue which it was ignorance is bliss...............

my new car has 1000 miles on it everything all good so far.....

Thank you ... Where would i get the number to SOA ?? Its been close 21 days in the shop, if they still have it at 30 days I think im gonna call... I know sometimes workin on cars isnt the easiest thing but it shouldnt take no more than 3-4 days to due the swap.

Thank you ... Where would i get the number to SOA ?? Its been close 21 days in the shop, if they still have it at 30 days I think im gonna call... I know sometimes workin on cars isnt the easiest thing but it shouldnt take no more than 3-4 days to due the swap.

In Washington state, 30+ days in the shop within the first 24 months classifies it as a lemon. They are required by law at that point to give you the option between a new CAR or to buy it back from you.

Have you researched your state's lemon laws?

Archived