LegacyGT.com

Subaru 5MT transmissions difference

f1anatic

So, I am looking for an explanation.

When my 2005 Legacy GT (5MT) is on the lift at the mechanic, in neutral, engine shut off, all wheels in the air and if I rotate any one wheel clockwise, the other 3 also rotate in the same direction (clockwise).

When my 2009 Forester XP (5 MT) is on the lift at the mechanic, in neutral, engine shut off, all wheels in the air and if I rotate any one wheel clockwise, only the one across from it but on the same axle will rotate in opposite direction. The other 2 wheels on the other axle will not rotate.

So the Legacy GT with LSD it is kind of obvious...even when I rotate a front wheel. But what about the Forester ? I thought all wheels should still move should I turn any? What about the center differential ? And then what is the explanation with regards to the other wheel on the same axle spinning in the opposite direction ? How's that....good for the car when I drive it if under no load, I spin the left rear tire clockwise and the right rear spins counter clock wise. Mind you they spin easily as well...I know it has no LSDs...but come on..

When my 2005 Legacy GT (5MT) is on the lift at the mechanic, in neutral, engine shut off, all wheels in the air and if I rotate any one wheel clockwise, the other 3 also rotate in the same direction (clockwise)........

On my '05 LGT with 5MT, only rotating a rear wheel will make the other 3 wheels rotate in the same direction. Rotating a front wheel will make only the one opposite wheel rotate, in the opposite direction.

On my '05 LGT with 5MT, only rotating a rear wheel will make the other 3 wheels rotate in the same direction. Rotating a front wheel will make only the one opposite wheel rotate, in the opposite direction.

you are right, he was wrong. LSD in the rear, open on the front

ignore him, he'll go away.

When my 2009 Forester XP (5 MT) is on the lift at the mechanic, in neutral, engine shut off, all wheels in the air and if I rotate any one wheel clockwise, only the one across from it but on the same axle will rotate in opposite direction. The other 2 wheels on the other axle will not rotate. ......

Your Forester must have open differentials, front and rear.

You haven't changed the oil in your Legacy yet?:eek:

Well no cause it is waiting for you to change my fog lights :-))

If I rotate my either front wheel, my rears move as well when on the lift.

Seriously do I have to take the bumper off for those foggers ?

Well no cause it is waiting for you to change my fog lights :-))

If I rotate my either front wheel, my rears move as well when on the lift.

Seriously do I have to take the bumper off for those foggers ?

no, just the engine splash shield.

ignore him, he'll go away.

LSD axle = spin one wheel, opposite side spins in the same direction -true for Viscous couplings and clutchpack diffs

Open diff axle= spin one wheel, opposite spins in opposite direction.

Not sure what happens with a torsen/helical diff.

Archived