LegacyGT.com

Snow and $ to fill tank

Alright guys, before I go off and commit to buying a 30G car, I have 2 very important questions......

What is driving the LGT in snow like? I live in PA and we have everything from ice, to sleet, to hail, to dusting all the way to the blizzard. I am an ICU nurse/ flight EMT so reliability in bad weather is a must....

And at the worst of times(July) what was it like filling your tank at 4.20 a gallon for premium? What kind of milage were u seeing? Reason being still a college student working on a master's degree...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am an RN as well. I work in the PACU. To be honest, I don't use te Subaru as often, since I have a crapbox honda civic and I work in the bronx. I only bring the suby to work during bad snow. Otherwise, the honda handles moderate snow pretty well. As far as gas, it's not uncommon to see 50-60 for a fill up when the prices are up

I'm drive my LGT in the Colorado winter weather on all season radials. Since you already know how to drive in winter conditions, the LGT will be a pleasure to drive.

As far as fuel prices, it's going to be painful to fill any car...

^^ LOL!

BUT on a serious note...I have had two AWD Subarus that I have driven during the winter, an 04 Impreza RS and a 98 Forester L. In addition, I have owned and driven in Upstate/Western NY winters a Bronco II, S-10 Blazer and three different Jeeps. In my opinion, the Subies were much better in the snow than any of the trucks. AWD and lower center of gravity felt much more stable on the roads. Just don't take your Legacy and try to drive through snow banks!

i havent had any problems with driving in the snow, but the winters here in NJ have been very mild the last few years so i havent had any major tests. i know PA gets hit harder the we do in NJ but I couldn't see you having much of a problem with the subby in bad weather. dedicated snow tires would be helpful but i've done ok with A/S tires. Ice is ice and even the biggest baddest 4wd vehciles will have problems if all 4 wheels are slipping. i think the key to driving in bad weather is to remember just b/c its awd it isnt invincible and awd doesnt help you stop, as long as you take it easy as you would with any other car you'll be fine.

as fas as gas goes it's not the most economic vehicle. given the HP, awd, and req'd premium its just not that great on gas. in city driving i'm getting about 16-17mpg but i can get up to 27+ on the hwy (i'm stg 2 5eat) so it really isnt that bad compared to other cars with awd and similar HP.

Legacy with snow tires is nearly unstoppable, though if you don't know what you're doing, you'll just run into that light pole further from home.

Lots of a ground clearance for a car, good AWD system.

The legacy is slightly tail happy, but on the newer cars with ESP, that shouldn't be an issue. It's also not an issue if you know how to drive.

Gas mileage? Not great in the city, esp on winter gas. Think 20 if you're not hard on the go pedal. HWY miles aren't bad. I've seen 29mpg on 400mi drives.

Legacy with snow tires is nearly unstoppable ...

It is not the best description ;-) controlable, sure footed, predictable are probably better but without ESP Legacy can be tail happy (not a problem in 2008)

The biggest issue can be the ground clearance. Do you forsee driving on unplowed roads?

Krzys

I got around better than most SUV's when we had that blizzard on Valentines day 2 years ago, and that was with the RE92's. I have Conti Extreme contacts now and they are even better (both good and bad weather). I am at Stage 2 and I get about 17-18 MPG city driving. I got 28 MPG when I went to Canada this summer.

Fat people are hard to kidnap!!!

Well I havent driven my LGT in the snow yet but from what I hear, the handling is awesome. As for the gas prices, if you can't afford the .20 extra a gallon for premium, don't buy the car. When I bough mine back in August I was spending between 55-65 bucks from E to F (premium was around 4.20-4.35) Now, regular gas in Toledo is 2.28 for regular. So with premium being about 2.50, I filled up my car for 40 bucks. And after changing my air filter, I am proud to say that I went from 15.6 to 18 mpg in the city. Not too bad...

Yeah. I do forsee driving on unplowed roads. We don't get days off when ppl can't make it into work. MY hospital is 15 minutes away from me and it is all highway. I can handle the extra gas b/c the way I look at it is, i was paying for regular unleaded 60$ to fill my jeep, so in the LGT it is no problem. And for the snow, I do plan on getting dedicated snow tires.

I live in northern Ontario, Canada. Do lots of driving in the snow on both plowed and unplowed roads. No issues at all and handling and performance is great. I also run a dedicated snow setup as well.

As for fuel .... whatever. Mileage isn't great but it certainly beats the mileage in my wife's SUV.

Good luck.

I am an RN as well. I work in the PACU. To be honest, I don't use te Subaru as often, since I have a crapbox honda civic and I work in the bronx. I only bring the suby to work during bad snow. Otherwise, the honda handles moderate snow pretty well. As far as gas, it's not uncommon to see 50-60 for a fill up when the prices are up

I'll ignorant the "crapbox honda civic" statement and help you anyway's. :)

Subaru's are the number 1 used car in VT.

I drove my 92 civic without snow tires to VT skiing most every winter weekend in 1995 -March 98. Which was when I got my first Legacy GT. I never had snow tires on the 98 or the 00 GT. Still never missed a weekend skiing. My 05 GT has snow tires. All the cars did fine in the snow even the 1992Si Civic. When these snow tires wear out after this winter, the 4th winter on these tires, I'm thinking about just going back to a good All-Season tire.

To many winter driving stories to tell here. You won't be sorry you have a AWD Subaru.

IMO the only thing better would be if Honda made a car like this.

As for gas mileage, around town I get 22-24mpg. When I fill up in VT and drive south to come home I can get 27+. If I fill up on Thursday night, drive to work Friday then head to VT for the weekend and drive back home I'll average around 26mpg with the cruise set at 68-70mph.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

LGT is great in snow, but be careful breaking or downshifting or the rear end will come around in a second and you have to power out of it. no gas = crash.

driven it in all kinds of snow in pa, nj, and vt. i even got caught in a snow storm with high perf summer tires in which the rubber pretty much froze and i got home just fine, wasn't relaxing, but i never got stuck.

last year was at killington and it snowed about 2ft each night!!!!! with snow tires i plowed right through it all and it was a blast. very relaxing to drive in snow. im also dropped and still no problems. just have to clean out the wheel wheels and wheels so they dont freeze up.

peace

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

I live in WI, last year we had a 2nd best in the state of over 100 inches of snow, about 2 hours after it stopped snowing 18inches i left for work on the way i helped a plow driver push 4 cars out of a snow bank and when he asked if i needed him to push me i said nope and drove right though it. When i got out to help the people the snow was just above the bottom of my door. And that was on the stock re92s, cant wait to test my new tires should be an easy winter. Im an auto, my average is 23, but on the freeway i have seen 28 and im stage 2.

Dude. Close your eyes and buy a Legacy. You'll be involved with a great community on these forums, you'll pick up mad chicks, the car is very reliable, fast, and very sexy. If you get this car, and its your only car, I guarantee that you will not want anything else other than this sensual piece of attraction. BUY IT NOW

Subaru's enjoy very high resale values (and general popularity) in the North due to their inclement weather traction. It's actually a bit of a no-brainer as far as that goes - AWD + snow tires is going to get you through anything that isn't higher than your bumper.

In regards to tail-happiness, etc., that is more of a side-effect of its enhanced straight-line traction in snow. Because it can get going (and quite quickly, sometimes) in the snow, people tend to drive them faster than the laws of physics support. Up in Canuckistan, when it first starts snowing, the tow-trucks call it Audi-Duty time. In reference to all the awd Audi's filling ditches up there. Being able to go well doesn't mean you can stop or corner any better.

Gas prices are going to become less and less of a worry, I'm seeing $2.65 for Regular here in Seattle, and it's been going down daily. The mpg is not bad for what it is - AWD, 250hp. If anything, it's relatively efficient for what it does. Cars that drive all 4 wheels and get better gas mileage are usually ones that are not full-time AWD in the first place, and are getting the better gas mileage when they are in "fwd" mode.

Cheers,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com

Archived