LegacyGT.com

Launching car from 3k ok?

CypherMax

Ok im taking my lgt to the track for the first time on friday. I'm thinking of launching it from 3k. Ive never launched my car. Is this relatively safe to do? any tips anyone has would be greatly appreciated. also if anyone knows what numbers i should be running on my set up would be good to know as well so i know what im shooting for. 06 lgt 5mt, cobb catted dp, grimmspeed catless up, k&n dop in, cobb stage 2 ots. thanks!

It will bog. You will need to go much higher. Found the best was 6000-6500.

Stage 2 I'd guess mid to low 13's with a good driver. Are you going to Etown or Atco? Etown is sticky great track prep.

That's my guess.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It will bog. You will need to go much higher. Found the best was 6000-6500.

Stage 2 I'd guess mid to low 13's with a good driver. Are you going to Etown or Atco? Etown is sticky great track prep.

That's my guess.

For the most part, you don't want a sticky track in a Legacy. Sticky track = broken drivetrain parts. Get a nice slick track where you will still get traction and have a nice advantage over everyone else, as well as less shock against your driveline.

I've found you can usually get a decent launch (without too much bog/wear) around 3500. Trick is to blip the throttle a bit to build boost then take your foot off the clutch evenly at a medium speed. Someone else once said its like picking your foot up after you just stepped in gum. :lol:

Hey you have cobb AP right ? download the 2 step. figure out how to pre-load the drive train.

First, duct tape the E brake button in.

Then drive around the water box.

Turn on the first staging light, pull the E brake up, hold it up, let the clutch out a bit to pull the car forward, to light the second bulb, leave the clutch there, engage 2 step, while holding the E brake up, when the last yellow is bright, drop the E brake and release the clutch, keeping your right foot floored.

I'll try and find you a video from youtube. Or do a youtube search for something like NHRA Sport Compact finals at Pomona 2007. There are a few great in cars of the 9 second honda's on youtube.

Here, about 3 minutes and 40 seconds in you see Felix Medina pull the E brake and drag the car into the beams. Then drop the E brake when it's time.

Most of the guy's have a button on the steering wheel that engage the 2 step.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCEvpUVFJ-w&feature=related]YouTube - Felix Medina NHRA SFWD Hatch 2007[/ame]

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Step in gum method is a good one. :)

Watch it between gears as well. Forcing the 5MT Subaru to shift quickly and then hitting it with WOT doesn't help longevity. Pretend you just stepped in gum again, but more quickly, hehe.

Will take a little more aggression than on the street. Normally find 3K and brisk release of clutch on street just enough to chirp front tires and steady speed increase. Do the same at a sticky track, and you will bog.

Oh I found the STI tranny mount makes a big difference in the way the car launches and shifts at high rpm. You'll notice a lot less driveline movement when shifting.

Step in gum method is a good one. :)

Watch it between gears as well. Forcing the 5MT Subaru to shift quickly and then hitting it with WOT doesn't help longevity. Pretend you just stepped in gum again, but more quickly, hehe.

Will take a little more aggression than on the street. Normally find 3K and brisk release of clutch on street just enough to chirp front tires and steady speed increase. Do the same at a sticky track, and you will bog.

Do this.

Keep in mind that all the big magazines basically launch a car with major abuse to get the best times.

They don't care about cooked clutches or broken trannies on these donor cars...

I read recently that to get a sub 5.0 second 1-60 time in the new 09 WRX they launched at just under redline!

I guess that's what it takes to get up to 60MPH in 4.8 seconds!!!

(this latest WRX is proving to be as powerful as the STi when it was released!l)

Archived