LegacyGT.com

*** Knock, do you have any?

LittleBlueGT

I have knock and an ecutek tune that i can't friggin change...

Next time... i'm bringing romraider with me when i buy a subaru.... lol

:eek: As one who previously had an ecutek tune, I feel your pain.

"Ecutek - The Flashed and The Furious"

That makes three of us. :lol:

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides a bout of shitty gas, would temp transitions/winter vs summer gas have an effect on the tune? I did some traveling a couple weeks ago, filled with premium from pumps in the middle of nowhere and now mysteriously IAM is down and I also spotted -6 degrees :eek: of timing pulled at around 5K WOT in a couple of old logs right around that same time. Again, the car has been running spottles for almost 2 years now.

Either way, low load knock is in the same amount, identically in the same areas even with IAM at .87 so I am guessing it really is just noise. I pulled a LV last night wit a dying battery on the laptop and quickly glanced at it as fast as I could, there were 3 cells with timing pulled, ranging from -0.3 to -1.4 all under 1.6 load.

The problem is LV cuts off at about 2.0 load?

Edited by fishbone

Sigh. You would classify that as running spotless?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2926763&postcount=134

04-26-2010, 09:12 AM

Three days ago with just city driving, car never went above 3500rpms and never under big load, I saw it dip down to 0.6 and it recovered back to 1.0 in a day or two. But oftentimes it will drop to 0.87 and stay there for a long while.

That was on the PDX tune on which I had given up.

It appears, though, that whatever I had going on then is making a comeback, which is what is upsetting me. Let me put it this way. On this tune it has been a long time since I have seen it go into roughness correction.

Since it appears that I can't have a tune "last" me I guess I'll have to start learning how to do it myself.

Edited by fishbone

That was on the PDX tune on which I had given up.

It appears, though, that whatever I had going on then is making a comeback, which is what is upsetting me. Let me put it this way. On this tune it has been a long time since I have seen it go into roughness correction.

Since it appears that I can't have a tune "last" me I guess I'll have to start learning how to do it myself.

Are you on OEM DMFW/clutch? I'm curious if this could be the case of the knock...

he has a 4eat

5EAT.

4EATs only come on the 2.5i

We'll revisit the tune. I'm gonna pick up and start learning how to tune/make adjustments. I'm pretty sure it's the gas. These issues always seem to crop up when the weather is warming up. I do not recall ever having had issues transitioning from fall to winter. I've poured over logs and LVs during winter and summer. Zero knock to redline, fuel trimming is below 5% (right around 3%), occasionally I'll see a -1.4 learned at low load between 2500-3500rpms.

The only two things I can think of to induce false knock are a stiff tranny mount and a LWCP. There are no rattles under my hood. The -1.4 timing at low load I see show up regardless of where IAM is at.

On the PDX tune there was a period of time I have NEVER gone WOT, barely even in boost, alway below 3.5K RPM and I have seen IAM drop to an assinine value, something like 4.

Edited by fishbone

Time to switch to e85?

Paul, hit up tank from Explicit Motorsports on NSOC. He'll do a road tune with you and walk you through what he's changing. It is great for the newbie tuner looking to learn the tricks of the trade. I've done a few road tune sessions with him now and have learned so much. I could probably tune my car completely by myself now, but he owes me both stage 3 91 and stage 3 e85 tunes, so I'll let him do those.

Also, it is great to have someone watching the laptop while doing the pull. I had a line blow off my IM during a pull, and he saw it instantly and told me to let off right away. If he wasn't in the car with me, I might not have let off right away.

iNVAR, you're right, I'll take it there.

spec.B Dream, qikslvr does great tuning work, unfortunately he's very busy with personal stuff which I totally understand and don't hold against him. Thanks for your tip though, I might hit up Explicit for this.

I've never been able to get in touch with Mark when I need to (only tried a couple times). I've found Tom (tank) to be a great guy, good friend, and very responsive (especially at 2am when I have car problems). Good luck with your car. You need to make it to a J-Birds meet one of these days.

• 3 weeks later...

Generally speaking, say after a bad tank of gas, how long would it take for IAM to go back up to 1, all things being equal? I am wondering if I should just reset it.

I have "gone through" 2 tuners, many revisions, tunes done during winter and summer, and we're not done chasing the reason why it drops to roughness correction right around late march-early may. Gotta love shitty Nebraska gas, I tell you. We used to have 92 at all pumps. Something happened and overnight we lost all of them. We are lucky to find a handful of 93. There is none to be had in Lincoln. But, on the flipside, we have a bunch of E85 stations.

Edited by fishbone

I should have asked you sooner if you encounter the same issue.

Car runs great, no knock events at WOT, only one or two cells with a -1.4 learned at low load around 2500rpms, fuel trims under 5%. Then Spring hits, or should I say the switch from winter to summer blend and all hell breaks lose.

Another thing that may prevent my IAM from crawling back up to 1 is the fact that I still have noise at low-load, so that learning will have to be tuned out as well.

And time and again after resetting the ECU, IAM remained at 1 for the rest of the year until come next Spring or whatever.

One other question. I have not immediately found an explanation for this.

What is up with FBKC corrections and knock sum not going up?

In other words, FBKC activity with no knock sensor activity.

Edited by fishbone

I don't recall seeing FBKC w/o knocksum incrementing. I have seen plenty of ks increments without FBKC/FLKC/IAM.

Honestly, I've messed with my car/tune so much that I haven't experienced a seasonal transition without flashing a new map, so I'm not sure if I'm seasonally affected. Hopefully, I can get my final tune in the next few weeks and then stop buying parts so I can start enjoying just driving my car. I've spent way to much time in the garage since I've bought this car.

Now that I think of it, I did get a stage 2 tune from Shamar in the summer '09, and it was clear of knock. I stopped logging for a while, and when I did a log in December '09, I was getting 2+ knocks per wot pull. Maybe that was this seasonal shift you're talking about. I started changing parts again throughout 2010, so I can't comment on the resolution to the 'seasonal shift'.

1) if you have E85, then use it

2) FBKC w/o knock sum makes no sense whatsoever, post a log

3) if you have low load knock events affecting IAM, then change the IAM ranges to something 1.5 - 4.0 load, so stuff that happens at .8 load never affects IAM

4) it can take a long time (depending on all sorts of things) for IAM to get back to 1.000. Just reset the ECU if you are sure there is not an issue.

Dude, fishbone, for crying out loud, you have like 3 of your own threads.

Not sure why you keep getting on my case. This thread is about knock. I asked a non-fishbone specific question.

LBGT: I don't have it handy at work but I'll try to post it when I can.

Not sure why you keep getting on my case. This thread is about knock. I asked a non-fishbone specific question.

LBGT: I don't have it handy at work but I'll try to post it when I can.

But it is fishbone-specific knock event, therefore it's specifying a knock, in the fishbone vehicle, so we'll call it "the fishbone knock"

I'm getting on your case because you really have started about a bagillion threads about your intermittent knock issues. Don't you think it'd be more beneficial to you and everyone else to actually consolidate all that information in one thread dedicated to your car instead of polluting up a general "do you have knock" thread that's supposed to apply to owners in general?

Generally speaking, say after a bad tank of gas, how long would it take for IAM to go back up to 1, all things being equal? I am wondering if I should just reset it.

I have "gone through" 2 tuners, many revisions, tunes done during winter and summer, and we're not done chasing the reason why it drops to roughness correction right around late march-early may. Gotta love shitty Nebraska gas, I tell you. We used to have 92 at all pumps. Something happened and overnight we lost all of them. We are lucky to find a handful of 93. There is none to be had in Lincoln. But, on the flipside, we have a bunch of E85 stations.

This thread is for determining if someone has knock. Your car has knock, or it thinks it does. You have a bunch of other threads devoted to troubleshooting your car. Look, I'm sorry if I'm coming across as some anal retentive jerk, but I'm subscribed to this thread and everytime you reply, it shows up on my listing and it's a bit irritating to see that once again, it's a reply from you about your car, not some other guy seeking help or contributing information.

Edited by iNVAR

2) FBKC w/o knock sum makes no sense whatsoever, post a log

Could it be the FBKC burning off? For instance..assuming knock sum is at 0 and there is a knock event. knock sum goes to 1 and FBKC says -2. On the next row of the log, knock sum remains at 1 but FBKC says -1.05 as it burns off off the pulled timing?