LegacyGT.com

*** Knock, do you have any?

LittleBlueGT

Here is a thought. How about I fill up with 94 octane or even 100 and see if there is ANY knock at all. I mean I know we are dealing with winter gas and all, but if there still is knock, shouldn't this tell us there is something mechanically wrong, such as a knock sensor acting up or another component making the sensor think there is knock?

That usually doesn't take affect in WOT runs. It seems your car has been running this way for months now. You are seriously putting your engine at risk with all the consistant knock events at high loads.:redface:

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay ... so I reset the ECU to see what IAM would do since I have a tank of 93. Stayed at 1.0 but it's back down to 0.88. How is it possible for a mild 91oct map to knock on 93oct?

You have to log the knock, so we can see where it is affecting the DAM.

The ECU has a load/rpm range in which knock can eventually affect DAM.

Read the sticky on RR, then catch it in a log.

sure. my stg1 91 AND stg2 91 octane cobb maps both knocked on 93 octane gas a tiny bit, from different stations. and here in nyc, i know the tankers come frequently so it's not like the gas sits in the station and goes bad.

pertaining to YOUR car though, i have no idea what's wrong. you seem to have a slew of problems regardless of what map you're running. i suggest you stop looking at it being map related and start looking at other problems. there's no reason you should get so much knock as to reduce your DAM/IAM on all these different maps.

Definitely am not meaning to threadjack, I was just asking a general question. I'll pull logs and we'll figure out what my scenario is. I was just under the impression that 93 octane is a decent margin of error to make a 91 map run spotless.

Sure, Nebraska gas is shit, but really now ...

I was just under the impression that 93 octane is a decent margin of error to make a 91 map run spotless.

Your basic idea seems good to me, however "spotless" is too optimistic. I bet the knock sensor would still go off with some bogus knock even if you were running race gas with > 100 octane.

Running 93 on a 91 tune is still a good investigative idea though, when your car is (or seems to be) knocking a lot.

Well, spotless is a relative term with our motors it seems. I guess the idle false knock will never go away unless you tell the sensor to ignore it. But under load I would expect no knock on 93 or 94 if you can get a 91 map to run half decent. Either way, it's a specific matter to my car from this point on.

I have a lot of low load knock, most likely something rattling that I could never find. It even happened on E85. I eventually had Infamous1 raise the threshold of the flkc to ignore the knock in the low load areas of concern. I don't know if this would apply to your situation or not though.

• 2 months later...

You're getting a lot of knock correction during cruise, which I find strange. Can anyone shed some light on that?

You're not logging pulls, so those logs aren't going to tell us much. However, don't start logging pulls just yet. That knock in cruise is cause for concern. Please read this before you log again:

http://www.romraider.com/forum/topic5384.html

And if anyone has suggestions on how to translate some of the parameter names in that how-to into Cobb-speak, please let me know.

You're getting a lot of knock correction during cruise, which I find strange. Can anyone shed some light on that?

You're not logging pulls, so those logs aren't going to tell us much. However, don't start logging pulls just yet. That knock in cruise is cause for concern. Please read this before you log again:

http://www.romraider.com/forum/topic5384.html

And if anyone has suggestions on how to translate some of the parameter names in that how-to into Cobb-speak, please let me know.

Yeah tell me about it, my tuner is working with cobb to figure out the problem. They are thinking a wacko knock sensor.

Here are my logs with Cobb 91 with sunoco 93, Stock everything down to the paper filter.

I have that Issue too, I dont know why it happens. whenever I drive from a stop or when I brake, I hear faint tapping sounds and a loud knock when I brake hard. After that my log would show constant -1 fine learning. Sometimes it goes to 0. Got my oil change and he said the tapping is from transmission.... any ideas?

street driving.csv

• 2 weeks later...
Great thread. I think I picked up a few tips. Thanks :)

Edit: What is the general consensus about knock during very low load/rpm conditions? I have my own theories about this and have taken some unusual measures against it but I'm curious what you guys think?

Example: Crusing on the highway at 70MPH with constant throttle input, manifold pressure at -8PSI, ecu reports feedback/fine learning knock and pulls from 2 to 8 degrees.

I've seen it on cars ranging from stock to stage 2/350whp level. No amount of reduced timing in the tune seems to have any effect on this.

I know this was resolved on page 1, but I just wanted to post up a log and LV for others to look at.

The car was dyno/pro-tuned by Mike/Tuning Alliance. The car seems very stable during pulls (I think) but I have a lot of low load, low rpm knock. Very similar to what Weitek posted above.

I have noticed that when I'm on the on-ramp going through the gears at medium-heavy load I will get one or two knock events.

Other than that and some part throttle stutter the car drives great. I'm looking forward to upgrading the intercooler and possibly fuel so I can uncork this setup a bit more.

BTW, is there a list of what to log for people who want to do a lot of CL logging with Tactrix 2.0 and a microSD card?

*edit: didn't realize my filesize was over the limit. Will take a log and post it tomorrow.

LearningView_3-18-2010 6 37 24 PM.csv

Edited by Underdog

I know this was resolved on page 1, but I just wanted to post up a log and LV for others to look at.

The car was dyno/pro-tuned by Mike/Tuning Alliance. The car seems very stable during pulls (I think) but I have a lot of low load, low rpm knock. Very similar to what Weitek posted above.

I have noticed that when I'm on the on-ramp going through the gears at medium-heavy load I will get one or two knock events.

Other than that and some part throttle stutter the car drives great. I'm looking forward to upgrading the intercooler and possibly fuel so I can uncork this setup a bit more.

BTW, is there a list of what to log for people who want to do a lot of CL logging with Tactrix 2.0 and a microSD card?

*edit: didn't realize my filesize was over the limit. Will take a log and post it tomorrow.

Just post a few logs (preferably edited excerpt) and we will help you out.;)