LegacyGT.com

Installed Spec Stage2 Clutch and Lfw Clutch will not Disengage

squiddmonster

Has anybody had this problem with there Spec clutch. I took my 05 lgt to a great shop out in Pa. They installed a stage2 and lfw but after finishing could not get the clutch to disengage. They called spec and so did I and we got the same response. Its the slave cylinder not our product.:eek: The installer said not a chance and now the whole thing is on its way back to spec for them to look at. They plan to fix this one or send a new one if it is actually there fault. Not even going into the time lost and extra money spent.:spin:

had that problem, i was one of the first LGTs to have a spec clutch, and I actually sing their praises. the issue was a mis-aligned pilot bearing, i didnt have the tranny and engine just right, didnt discover the real problem for the first 100 miles. When I switched from 5MT to 6MT, I stuck with SPEC and put another 3+ in the car and have been happy with its performance so far...I'm not easy on the drivetrain and neither is 400whp :)

I don't think it would be your slave cylinder, but we'll see what SPEC says I suppose.

Check out this thread:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78095

I had an issue with the pedal "overshooting" the sweet spot when first installed. The clutch pedal travel had to be adjusted to compensate for it. I shortened the throw a little and everything has been fine for over a year.

Start the car in neutral, start pushing the clutch in and as you get 3/4 of the way to the floor start lightly pushing the shifter towards first gear. It should slip into first at some point before the pedal hits the floor. If this is the case a simple clutch pedal travel adjustment sohuld fix it. If it still won't disengage, don't know what to tell you.

Let's kick this pig!

had that problem, i was one of the first LGTs to have a spec clutch, and I actually sing their praises. the issue was a mis-aligned pilot bearing, i didnt have the tranny and engine just right, didnt discover the real problem for the first 100 miles. When I switched from 5MT to 6MT, I stuck with SPEC and put another 3+ in the car and have been happy with its performance so far...I'm not easy on the drivetrain and neither is 400whp :)

I don't think it would be your slave cylinder, but we'll see what SPEC says I suppose.

Groff any pointers on aligning the pilot bearing to avoid this problem, as I am buying your old SPEC 5MT clutch.

Any updates?

OP, I see your in PA. I'm sure someone from Spec may be at Etown this weekend, big race going on.

I'll be there both days.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I saw Danny saturday and he said he had spoken to you. I'll post a photo of him later today. It was great to meet him in person finally.

His car broke a axle and the tranny wasn't sounding to healthy. To much to explain here but it's what was expected, he was in the same boat as about 10 other guy's,they were on bigger slicks.

Here, Danny's in the blue shirt.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN01361.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• 2 weeks later...

So they replaced the rivets that hold the clutch material to the disc and re surfaced the pressure plate and fly wheel.

Let us know how it turns out.

I had a Spec Stage 2 Clutch and LWFW in my 2006 VW GTI. The clutch was complete garbage. I will NEVER buy from Spec again. It was meant to support 400 hp, I shattered the clutch disc at the track with 296hp. Go figure.

I had a Spec Stage 2 Clutch and LWFW in my 2006 VW GTI. The clutch was complete garbage. I will NEVER buy from Spec again. It was meant to support 400 hp, I shattered the clutch disc at the track with 296hp. Go figure.

Can you tell us more...what went wrong?

Can you tell us more...what went wrong?

My GTI had 19k miles when the first clutch went. This was due to a faulty slave cylinder and VW would not warranty it because I had a cat-back installed on the car. (I never knew that a cat-back that adds nothing but noise without getting a tune, and can have such an affect on the entire drivetrain). So I said **** YOU VW and bought a Spec Stage 2 Clutch and Aluminum flywheel, I had it installed by a Master VW Tech. $1400 bucks later, I was back on the road. From 19k to 39k, the clutch was fine and in that time frame I went full stage 2 with the car. Every bolt-on that you could do except a big turbo, I had. I had the car dynoed, it put down 296 HP and 318 TQ. Now the clutch is rated for: 400 HP and 400 TQ. So I figured I was good to go. One night at the track, I had bald Falken all seasons at 20psi and I was riding the clutch out of the hole at 3.5k. Went to shift from 3rd to 4th, and then the clutch just went down to the floor. I got it towed home and was PISSED. I called up Spec, they said sorry, there is nothing we can do, but we'll give you $20 bucks off your next clutch disc purchase. I told Jeremy at Spec a few kind words and regretfully bought a spec clutch disc to replace mine. This time around I pulled the transmission out by myself and found this:

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc187/rkatsev/IMG_6234.jpghttp://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc187/rkatsev/IMG_6231.jpg

I emailed the pictures to Jeremy and he said that I had missed a gear and over-revved the motor and by doing so, all the rivets sheered off. Again, I told him another few kind words and he didnt have anything else to say to me. I put the new clutch disc into the car, drove it for 5k miles, then it got annihilated by a Hummer H3 while parked, insurance declared it totalled. I got a hefty check from insurance and bought a 2007 Legacy Spec.B.

Thats my .02.

Take care,

Roman

I read few too many bad opinions about Spec clutches and their lousy customer service, I am not gonna touch anything made by them.

After that horrid experience, I will never buy a SPEC product again. They are absolutely awful. :mad:

Well, I figure if I am going to mentioned by name...I might as well post up some information and help with any questions that you all may have. We actually fitted the first Legacy GT clutch here in house and I have been thinking about picking one of these impressive cars up myself. That being said, I hate that Shainz feels slighted by me or SPEC in general.

The pictures he provided do evidence a major shock to the drivetrain. The fact that the carrier tabs are ripped apart indicates that this was not a problem with rivets or manufacturing. We offer a 120 warranty that covers manufacturing and materials. I am not sure of Shainz name but I will be happy to double check the date of purchase versus the warranty period (if you want me to...I do need your name or location of initial purchase to do this).

The normal procedure for handling an issue of this type, one that really doesn't look to be warranty related, would be to offer a reduced cost on the replacement disc. This is done because we want to maintain good will with our existing customers. I am sorry if this wasn't to your liking Shainz. If you ever need anything for the Legacy let me know and I will be happy to assist you.

As for the Legacy, pedal adjustment can make a huge difference in regards to the function of the clutch. As described above a simple adjustment to the pedal stop may be needed when installing this or any clutch on the LGT.

I hope this info helps. Let me know if you all have any further questions. Thanks!

Well, I figure if I am going to mentioned by name...I might as well post up some information and help with any questions that you all may have. We actually fitted the first Legacy GT clutch here in house and I have been thinking about picking one of these impressive cars up myself. That being said, I hate that Shainz feels slighted by me or SPEC in general.

The pictures he provided do evidence a major shock to the drivetrain. The fact that the carrier tabs are ripped apart indicates that this was not a problem with rivets or manufacturing. We offer a 120 warranty that covers manufacturing and materials. I am not sure of Shainz name but I will be happy to double check the date of purchase versus the warranty period (if you want me to...I do need your name or location of initial purchase to do this).

The normal procedure for handling an issue of this type, one that really doesn't look to be warranty related, would be to offer a reduced cost on the replacement disc. This is done because we want to maintain good will with our existing customers. I am sorry if this wasn't to your liking Shainz. If you ever need anything for the Legacy let me know and I will be happy to assist you.

As for the Legacy, pedal adjustment can make a huge difference in regards to the function of the clutch. As described above a simple adjustment to the pedal stop may be needed when installing this or any clutch on the LGT.

I hope this info helps. Let me know if you all have any further questions. Thanks!

I appreciate the offer, but I wont take you up on it. I was treated like an idiot on the phone, time after time, I'm not quite sure how you guys are still in business, if you treat everyone like you've treated me. Now I'm not saying that you do this to everyone, maybe you had a case of the Mondays, or I caught you at a bad time. But you sure as hell didnt make the situation any better. All you could give me is $20 off my next clutch disc purchase. Thats great and all, but you guys couldnt even send me a hat or a t-shirt to say we apologize for the inconvience. Ill try out RPS, Exedy, ACT, Clutchmasters or Carbonetics before I go back to SPEC. In my opinion, if you're looking at the aspect of dollar vs performance, and you want a SPEC setup, look elsewhere. From my experience, you wont find it with a SPEC clutch. Again, I feel bad for bad mouthing companies, but if you spit in my face time after time, I have no choice but to do so.

-Roman

I'm the guy that offered up my car for the prototyping of the LGT flywheel. I was the first one to have it installed, and other than the slight increase in gear noise when off throttle (which is what happens anytime a lightweight flywheel is installed) I've had no issues with any of the SPEC products on my car (flywheel and Stage 2+ clutch).

I am sorry if I made you feel that way. It certainly was not my intent. I find that one part of selling, supporting and assessing warranty coverage for parts manufactures (I have worked for more than one in this capacity-Sales and Tech Manager) frequently leaves you in the position of being the bad guy. Having also been an antomotive enthusiast for most of my life I have also had to make a few calls about questions or issues with a product myself and no that it is never easy to hear that a part will not be warranteed. That being said I do not remember you specific situation o,r your name for that matter, to refresh my memory. Either way, having someone tell you that your parts will not be warranteed can leave a bad taste in your mouth.

I am known for providing support for a number of enthusiast markets and as such for frequenting a number of related forums much like this one. I am also known for being a fair and reasonable guy that works with people when they have issues. Again, I am sorry that you do not agree with my response to your problem. As I am sure you know, you can't make everyone happy all the time...but I do my best to make as many people as happy as much of the time as humanly possible. That being said, let me know if I may be of any further assistance.

Hey Crash, it is good to see you on here. How is the car doing? What kind of power are you making now? I really have been looking at LGT's lately...how are you liking yours these days?

The car's doing great!

I haven't done much in the power department, just a custom tune. I'm not sure about power levels, but it ran a 13.7 in my first and only pass down the 1/4 mile (and that's only my second time ever to run down a dragstrip).

I'm still loving the car, and I have no plans of replacing it anytime in the future if that tells you anything ;)

Archived