LegacyGT.com

Money Saving tip: Air Filtration

I'm pretty sure the Scion's also use the same filter. I ended up cutting the same size filter for my gf's Scion.

The standard furnace filters are a PITA to cut. I've been using the Web Absorber. http://www.webproducts.com/Detail.bok?no=46 It's got activated charcoal to reduce odors too. It's super easy to cut since it is two flat sheets. You get about 4+ filters out of one. They are available at Target for about $10.

http://www.webproducts.com/stores/w/webproducts/catalog/wabsrbr-300.jpg

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Found out that the 2005+ Legacy's & Outbacks use the same air filtration filter as the Toyota FJ Cruiser. Several aftermarket filter companies make filters for the FJ Cruiser that don't list the Legacy/Outback, but they are the same. Usually quite a bit cheaper than the OEM filters.

Purolator - C35516

Fram - CF10132

Beck/Arnley - 0422014

Are you sure about that Fram part number? Because I pull up #CF9846A when cross matching against other manufacturer filter numbers.

Found out that the 2005+ Legacy's & Outbacks use the same air filtration filter as the Toyota FJ Cruiser. ..........................

Purolator - C35516

Fram - CF10132

Beck/Arnley - 0422014

If you go to the Fram site, and type in CF10132, these are the matches you get:

BECK/ARNLEY 042-2024

BOSCH P3785

PUROLATOR C35479

TOYOTA 87139-06030

TOYOTA 87139-32010

TOYOTA 87139-YZZ05

WIX 24883

If you go to the Fram site, and type in CF9846A, these are the matches you get:

BOSCH P3785

PUROLATOR C35516

WIX 24875

Is there a trick to getting the glovebox off? I did the walk through (which seemed to involve taking way too many interior pieces off) posted somewhere on this site, but didn't want to crank on the glovebox because it felt like it was being held by some fragile plastic clips that weren't visible.

Oh, and good find with the FJ Cruiser filter!

When I put in my zipcode 98024, I get the price of $48.99. Sounds like pricing varies per zipcode for this purolator filter.:confused:

But, thanks for the tips on the other pricing. I have done the 3M furnace filter hack and found it frustrating to get just right. I will look into these others for better deals.

Cheers,

Mike

1132643603_expensivepurolator.jpg.52dbadaaa669e23195dc95517ecea2b6.jpg

Amazon stocks the Purolator, $20.40 shipped directly from them

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Purolator-C35576-Cabin-Air-Filter/dp/B000E93GEE/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1222102474&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Purolator C35576 Cabin Air Filter: Automotive[/ame]

It qualifies for Super Saver Shipping so if you add $4.60 or so, you'll get it shipped for free.

Otherwise they show that they'd charge me $5.26 shipped to Lincoln, NE

Later edit: crap, that link is for a different model, C35576.

I knew it was too good to be true :(

Keep checking anyways, the C35516 might show up in stock eventually.

When I put in my zipcode 98024, I get the price of $48.99. Sounds like pricing varies per zipcode for this purolator filter.:confused:

But, thanks for the tips on the other pricing. I have done the 3M furnace filter hack and found it frustrating to get just right. I will look into these others for better deals.

Cheers,

Mike

That's zip code descrimination, report it to the Post Master General.

Actually, I couldn't believe, but when I ran your zip code and mine ... sure enough there was a $20+ difference.

Strange :spin::spin:

Bosch p/n P3785 Kragen retail stores have plenty of stock for these, plus they have a 10% off sale.

I found that the quality of the Bosch filter was outstanding and better than the stock part.

In the future I plan on replacing every 10K miles cause it's relatively easy to do and costs $120 less than what the dealer charges.

So the BOSCH P3785 is a definite fit on the Legacy?

Yes Opie was right. It is the exact same part that Toyota uses.

Fits perfect, tucks into the filter tray tabs and no gaps.

Kragen told me that Fram was special order only and cost $50. Then they cross-searched and found this Bosch in stock and a match for Subaru.

Pep Boys had almost no cabin filters in stock, don't bother with them.

That's zip code descrimination, report it to the Post Master General.

Actually, I couldn't believe, but when I ran your zip code and mine ... sure enough there was a $20+ difference.

Strange :spin::spin:

Marketing folks seem to think that Fall City, a little podunk unincorporated town, has money. The local Tesoro gas station is also ripping us off. Super Unleaded can be had for about 15 cents/gal cheaper just 5 miles away (the main way in and out of town) and 26 cents/gal by driving about 12 miles away from here.

Sorry for the thread creap. Back to filters...

Cheers,

mike

• 3 months later...
RockAuto also has this filter in their catalog for $8:

TYC GENERA Part # 800005P

Not sure about the quality but that is a really good deal. I am going to order one and I will report on the fit/quality.

How do you like the TYC filters?

I see them for $4 at logical-source.com. A review at Amazon was not favorable about TYC filters.

Found out that the 2005+ Legacy's & Outbacks use the same air filtration filter as the Toyota FJ Cruiser. Several aftermarket filter companies make filters for the FJ Cruiser that don't list the Legacy/Outback, but they are the same. Usually quite a bit cheaper than the OEM filters.

Purolator - C35516

Fram - CF10132

Beck/Arnley - 0422014

That Purolator # also fits these other Toyotas:

TOYOTA 4Runner - V6 4.0L F.I. (VIN U) (1GR-FE) 2003-2008

TOYOTA 4Runner - V8 4.7L F.I. (VIN T) (2UZ-FE) 2003-2008

TOYOTA Celica - 4 cyl. 1.8L F.I. (1ZZ-FE) 2000

TOYOTA Celica - 4 cyl. 1.8L F.I. (VIN R) (1ZZ-FE) 2001-2005

TOYOTA Celica - 4 cyl. 1.8L F.I. (2ZZ-GE) 2000

TOYOTA Celica - 4 cyl. 1.8L F.I. (VIN Y) (2ZZ-GE) 2001-2005

TOYOTA FJ Cruiser - V6 4.0L F.I. (VIN U) (1GR-FE) 2007-2008

TOYOTA Prius - 4 cyl. 1.5L F.I. (VIN B) (1NZ-FXE) 2004-2008

Strangely enough, when I go to Purolators web site, and do a part look up for 2005 LGT, they do not show a cabin filter #

Archived