LegacyGT.com

Money Saving tip: Air Filtration

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^Not ALL 05s. Some have the kit, others don't. Mine has the filter removal kit so I don't have to take half the dash apart.

How would you know if you have the kit? Can you check by VIN or do you simply open it up and see what you get?

Open the glove box, is there a cloth flap in the back along with 3 screws in a triangle pattern. If you don't have it, you will need to pull the dash apart.

Good looking out! I'll be checking that out tonight when I leave work. Crossing my fingers that I see a cloth flap.

Thanks Opie for this info! I'm gonna order a couple from Rock auto.

Guys, I'd definitely replace these regularly. I skipped mine for a while and my HVAC fan burnt out. The service tech said the filter was so jammed with junk that the motor burnt out from either trying to suck stuff through or cause debris gunked up the motor.... don't know if that's true or not. Anyway the motor was screeching like there was a stick or something jammed in the fan....

Luckily I've had the kit installed so this'll be easy. I feel bad for those who never had the kit installed.

So do all early 05's have to have the dash ripped every time the filter is changed? or does the dealer retrofit kit address that??

The kit fixes tearing the dash apart. Subaru sent out a message a ways back to current owners stating that they'd add this kit for little to no cost to eliminate the hassle of replacing this filter. If yours was never installed I'd ask a Subaru dealer about it to see if you could still take advantage of that service campaign.

I don't know why you guys buy those filters. Just go to Target and buy the Absorber filter media kit. It is two filters, one regular and one activated charcoal. They are flat so they are easy to cut. The filter kit cost $10. You can cut out 6 sets per filter kit. The activated charcoal helps reduce smells in the car. I change mine every 3 months since that is how long the activated charcoal is good for.

Geez. I didn't know you could remove the entire carrier. I struggled to remove just the filter for about 30 minutes leaving the carrier partially ejected. *sigh*

I love pictures that show the whole story. Next time it looks like my filter change will be a lot easier!

I can get the carrier partway out (about an inch)...could you slip a filter in through that space?

That's exactly what I did. I pulled the tray out about an inch and slid the old one out and slid the new one back. You have to fold the filter a bit and wrestle it back in the tray.

WOOHOO! Went out into the cold about 20 minutes ago and after undoing about 6-7 screws found that I indeed did have the retrofit kit in my car. Silly thing was that there is no filter in it...And I did kind of break the tray a bit but what the hell, no biggy.

Called AutoZone and they want 28 bucks for a BOSCH....

Murray's wants 20 for the Beck/Arnley

And Advance Auto Parts wants 30 for the Purolator.

I'm thinking Murray's?

so did i miss it...or has anyone posted pics of what the 2 different trays look like? Side by side maybe? I think i have the tray..just need filter..but i am not sure...and none of the stealerships have it in stock...special order..as in not returnable.

• 2 months later...

$3.47 for the Purolator! I hope it goes through... I ordered 2... :)

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Purolator-C35576-Cabin-Air-Filter/dp/B000E93GEE/ref=pd_ybh_4?pf_rd_p=280800601&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1501&pf_rd_i=ybh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0DM956PMYH58PDVJA3JR]Amazon.com: Purolator C35576 Cabin Air Filter: Automotive[/ame]

I don't know why you guys buy those filters. Just go to Target and buy the Absorber filter media kit. It is two filters, one regular and one activated charcoal. They are flat so they are easy to cut. The filter kit cost $10. You can cut out 6 sets per filter kit. The activated charcoal helps reduce smells in the car. I change mine every 3 months since that is how long the activated charcoal is good for.

linky?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been searching through the different posts and this one is the one that best suits my question.

I'm going for my 48000 check-up and it says to inspect/replace (if necessary) the cabin air filter. When I went to the dealer, the service person told me that on 05 LGT the cabin air filter was an accesory.

My questions;

1) is he correct?

2) if he's correct, how do i check to see if I have one?

3) if he's not how can I check whether or not it needs to be replaced (I'm going to assume I have to go through the step by step stated at the beginning of this thread :( )

Thanks for the help.

Archived