LegacyGT.com

Money Saving tip: Air Filtration

1. Yes it is an accessory, not all cars have it installed.

2. Open the glove box and look at the panel above it. You should see both a fabric liner at the back and also three screws. If you see this, you have the retrofit kit.

3. If you do have the retrofit kit, then you will have a filter in there. It will need to be replaced. I replace mine with the Absorber as I have posted above every 90 days. It gets pretty dirty after 90 days.

The Absorber is $10 at Target. You can cut 6 filters out of 1 sheet, that's $1.67 per filter. It also has activated charcoal to reduce odors.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1. Yes it is an accessory, not all cars have it installed.

2. Open the glove box and look at the panel above it. You should see both a fabric liner at the back and also three screws. If you see this, you have the retrofit kit.

I have a pocket that fits the owners manual perfectly. The only screws in the glovebox area or 3 in triangular shape to the right before the "manual pocket" and three under the pocket that are barely accessible through the door compartment.

I'm going to assume that i don't have one since i think it would be clearly obvious.

EDIT: I apologize, I took the time this round to look through the post. I'll follow the below instructions and take a look on the weekend to see if I have this system. http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showp...52&postcount=2

Karl

The three that are under the pocket are the ones that secure a big steel plate. If you pull the pocket out, follow the plate back, you will find a fabric cover. That is part of the retrofit kit.

• 1 month later...
Found out that the 2005+ Legacy's & Outbacks use the same air filtration filter as the Toyota FJ Cruiser. Several aftermarket filter companies make filters for the FJ Cruiser that don't list the Legacy/Outback, but they are the same. Usually quite a bit cheaper than the OEM filters.

Purolator - C35516

Fram - CF10132

Beck/Arnley - 0422014

Thanks opie! The Fram fit like a glove.

I might go with the Fram next time. The Bosch P3785 had a slight gap...a little too small.

My 2009 Outback wasn't as easy as my 07 Legacy. The tray wouldn't snap back into place that securely and I broke one of the tabs trying to force it. The tray that holds the filter tabs don't seem to snap back into the recess that well.

Only bought my Outback in February and the filter already was filthy.

• 5 months later...
Just ordered 2 Frams on Amazon for $26 total, including free super saver shipping. Only downside: FRAM = crap (but then how can they screw up an air filter too too much)
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

OK, I've read the threads and still have a question that will probably make someone in here want to pull out their nose hairs. Please don't, it's just a clarifying question. 05 Legacy limited sedan. Will it already have a cabin air filter, or is there still a box behind the glovebox where I can put one in without purchasing this retrofit kit? I have an infant and don't get a lot of time to do stuff, so I don't want to pull this stuff apart if all I'm going to find is round ductwork that won't accept a filter... Know what I mean? Thanks for the clarification...and please don't send me your nose hairs.

OK, I can't get the pushpin out at the pivot point of the glove box assembly. The screw just spins and spins and never releases.

Any advice anyone?

Thank you.

I had to use two screwdrivers to get mine out. I jammed a small flat screwdriver under the head to pry it up as I turned the screw.

• 3 months later...

Hey just wanted to add updated information for everyone. OReillys has "FRAM FRESH BREEZE" with Arm & Hammer odor absorber cabin filters.

Well the one that fits our car is not listed for our car, but it fits great:

PART NUMBER ON THE BOX: CF10132

Price 17.00 plus tax

Hope that helps anyone looking for a upgraded cabin filter that absorbs odors coming into the car thru the fan.

**There are two types of people in the world, those who build horsepower and those who buy it. Which one are you?

OK, I've read the threads and still have a question that will probably make someone in here want to pull out their nose hairs. Please don't, it's just a clarifying question. 05 Legacy limited sedan. Will it already have a cabin air filter, or is there still a box behind the glovebox where I can put one in without purchasing this retrofit kit? I have an infant and don't get a lot of time to do stuff, so I don't want to pull this stuff apart if all I'm going to find is round ductwork that won't accept a filter... Know what I mean? Thanks for the clarification...and please don't send me your nose hairs.

My limited understanding is that all LGTs have a place where a cabin air filter can go, no matter what. My 05's cabin air filter slot came empty from the factory/dealership (as in a filter could have been put there, but no one did for whatever reason). I do not know if yours already has one or just a empty space for one, but you may be able to find out with research. Separately, there was a redesign that came out that makes it much much easier to replace the cabin air filter; aka retrofit. These two considerations are separate. You can open your glove box and poke around thoroughly and find out pretty quick whether installing a new air filter will be easy or not. Does this help you? It's all I've got.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Just checked to see if I had the retrofit. YAY! Figured that in the 45k miles the last owner didn't change the filter. I took the glovebox out and found that I didn't have a filter installed. Now I know how I've had about a billion pounds of pollen come into my car. On the brightside, I know can take everything apart and put it back together in about 10mins.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived