LegacyGT.com

Aftermarket flywheel and clutch for Spec B 6MT=Sti 6 MT ?

edkwon

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
URGENT: Do not buy ACT clutch kit labeled for 07-09 spec.B!!

I purchased the ACT HD6-SSMM clutch kit labeled for the 07-09 spec.B. My installer attempted to install it today, and it is NOT for the 6MT. It appears to be a 5MT clutch and pressure plate.

At first I was skeptical (as was the retailer when I notified them). But holding the pressure plate up to the OEM flywheel, there are very obvious problems. First, the diameter is off by almost an inch. Second, the mounting points do not come close to lining up. After sending in pics, the retailer is taking care of me. But what on earth was ACT smoking when they labeled this kit for the spec.B?? Now I'm out a full day of installer billable hours, with a clutch that still slips.

Pics to come if you're interested.

panther piss.....that sucks!

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

I did exactly what fonts did. I actually read somewhere that the "ACT specB clutch" didn't work. I've had my clutch in for a few weeks now and it's amazing! good luck duke. Hope you get it taken care of

~Mary

• 2 months later...
So if we buy STI clutches they will work fine with the Spec B transmission?

My clutch is starting to slip from time to time in 4-6 at WOT a month or so after going stage 2.

yes.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

• 3 weeks later...
Since I'm starting to slip around 3-4k rpm in 3rd and 4th gear, I'm looking to replace the clutch. So if I read correctly, I can get ANY STi clutch? And do I need a new flywheel, or can I keep the OEM one I have now? I'm at stage 2 and will be swapping in a VF52 in a year or two and looking for some recommendations.

• 2 months later...

thanks to everyone for the input - the thread is very helpful.

so, from what i gather the recomended clutch is the act sti SB4-HDSS.

an oem sti flywheel or an act flywheel can be used with that clutch.

can someone with either the sti oem flywheel or the act streetlite flywheel

provide a short review on driveability/noise.

tia

g

I have the SB4-HDSS and the Streetlight flywheel.

There is some chatter when not accelerating but its not that bad. Its a good daily driving setup I think. I daily drive my car and it feels much better than stock. I am currently at Stage 2 power levels. It does rev easier so you have to adjust to that, but its not a huge adjustment.

Hope this helps you gondor

power wise i think i am done. just looking for when the stock clutch starts to go. want to replace with something that feels better than the stocker. If the sti wont be an improvement i will just get an act or similar. but if i can save money and get the sti and still have an improvement over stock feel then thats what i want.

The STI oem Clutch will be heavier pressure plate then the Spec B. The STi clutch has a higher clamping load to hold more power (i would be surprised if it did not, drove a Stock STi back to back with a Stock Spec B and the STi was noticeably heavier. Both where 2008).

The clutch material itself is just the friction surface. Where the Pressure plate is the clamping load. You can get a more aggressive pressure plate, and use a stock clutch disc to get a higher power capacity unit. Or you can use the OEM pressure plate with a aftermarket disc to get similar results.

We have gotten customers ACT discs to use with Stock pressure plates when they dont want a aggressive feel, but want a higher capacity/longer lasting wear.( HAS TO BE AN OEM EXEDY Clutch to do this)

The Fly wheel in the Spec B is duel mass, making it easier to drive and quieter. But also heavier.

There is no reason to get super aggressive clutches unless you need them. It will be harder to drive, and make noise in many instances. However getting rid of the duel mass flywheel and getting a ACT or Exedy will make a noticeable difference.

The STI oem Clutch will be heavier then the Spec B. The STi clutch has a higher clamping load to hold more power (i would be surprised if it did not, drove a Stock STi back to back with a Stock Spec B and the STi was noticeably heavier. Both where 2008).

The clutch material itself is just the friction surface. Where the Pressure plate is the clamping load. You can get a more aggressive pressure plate, and use a stock clutch disc to get a higher power capacity unit. Or you can use the OEM pressure plate with a aftermarket disc to get similar results.

We have gotten customers ACT discs to use with Stock pressure plates when they dont want a aggressive feel, but want a higher capacity/longer lasting wear.( HAS TO BE AN OEM EXEDY Clutch to do this)

The Fly wheel in the Spec B is duel mass, making it easier to drive and quieter. But also heavier.

There is no reason to get super aggressive clutches unless you need them. It will be harder to drive, and make noise in many instances. However getting rid of the duel mass flywheel and getting a ACT or Exedy will make a noticeable difference.

awesome! thats the kind of info i like to read. so when i need a new clutch, it will be an sti one with a light flywheel.

• 2 months later...

STI fly is not dual mass.

I don't know what's different between stock sti and specb flys. Part numbers are different. I understand people successfuly bolt sti clutches to specb flys, but whether the fly is heavier or not, I don't know. I'd imagine it may be the case given the character of the car. STI fly is pretty lightweight at 18.9 lbs, I believe.

• 6 months later...

Archived