LegacyGT.com

Aftermarket flywheel and clutch for Spec B 6MT=Sti 6 MT ?

edkwon

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey RallySport Direct

I have a 09 Spec B with 11k on the clock and the clutch slips in higher gears during torque peak. I'm making a little over 320 wtq and with a hand full of hard launches I think the stock clutch just can't take it anymore.

I'm looking at getting a South Bend Stg 2 clutch with a STi flywheel (and the TOB). would you be able to provide me a quote and double check to make sure my choice is a valid one?

thanks

• 2 months later...
Just wanted to give an update. I am currently running an AWDTuning Stage3 built motor with an ACT HDSS clutch with an Extreme PP and ACT STi lightweight flywheel at 450wtq (on a low reading mustang dyno) without any problems.

• 5 weeks later...

Wanted to see if there was a unanimous suggestion for me.

Currently running ACT 6-Puck and ACT LWFW (HTA68= 340wtq). Unfortunately, it's too much grab and chatter for my morning traffic/commutes.

I don't mind the harder pedal feel but would like to be able to smoothly engage a gear rather than the grab-or-not feeling. I was reading that the Exedy Racing Stage 1 Organic might satisfy my requirements, but i'm concerned that it won't have a long life since it's not technically rated for +300wtq.

I need advice guys. I'm a conservative driver. Do not track. I just want a smooth/quiet clutch. If I have to change my LWFW than I'll do so, if I can keep it, than obviously that's better.

Also, once I replace this clutch, you'll see my ACT 6-puck in the classified for someone who can really appreciate it. Thanks.

The ACT street clutches should do you fine. I'm having no problem with the ACT HD Street with 350 wtq.

If you have the cash, you could go for an Exedy twin-plate clutch, but they're pricey.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Thanks for the response guys. I've been reading some good reviews about the fx300 and am really leading towards it. I just wonder if using it with the ACT flywheel will get rid of my chatter or if it's the flywheel solely responsible.

hey guys, just want to give you an update on my clutch install.

background: i have a 09 spec b with 10k on the clock with 330 wtq the stock clutch is starting to slip on higher gears with load.

solution: i ended up purchasing a south bend stage 3 clutch (holds 510 tq....i think. it's 500 something which is more than what i need) with a sti (year 07) flywheel. clutch was 510 + 170 for fly wheel. had to purchase flywheel bolts for 50 and while i had everything part i replaced the stock clutch line with a SS one for 20 bucks. i would add another 75 bucks for Motul 75w90 gear oil plus 0.5 liter of motul 600 brake fluid.

oh i forgot to say, the stage 2 holds i want to say 460 tq and is about 80 bucks cheaper.

overall impression:

the clutch feels completely stock. the peddle feel requires 0 additional leg than the stock wrx. if i'm being super technical maybe 5%. No chatter during the break in period of 500 miles and 0 chatter after a few 5k clutch drop. Basically the clutch feels completely stock only now it holds the power.

if anyone is interested i can point you to the shop that i got all of my parts plus did the installation.

regards

Never heard of South Bend brand. Stage 3 sounds like overkill but I'm glad that it's working out for you. Where did you order it from?

You are right, south bend isn't a main stream brand. they make clutches for diesel trucks that makes 1000+ wtq and everyone in the diesel truck industry knows them: http://www.southbendclutch.com/

My friends who owns tunning shops for imports recommended me and i gotta say it's a great decision. Let me know if you are interested, i can link you guys up.

Archived