LegacyGT.com

Aftermarket flywheel and clutch for Spec B 6MT=Sti 6 MT ?

edkwon

Nice, How much WHP are you putting down? And how is driveablitly w/ the ACT?

TIC: can you PM pricing for that setup? What is the recommended HP levels on that clutch setup?

I have the same exact setup, ACT HD-SS + sti fly in my wagon w/6mt swap. Pedal is quite a bit stiffer than stock 05 5MT LGT (and much stiffer than stock 08 6MT SpecB I drove - that had super soft clutch) but perfectly streetable. Haven't launched the car, because I am still going rather easy on my new engine, but the clutch grabs like a mofo.

The only issue is somewhat annoying decel noise between 2-3k rpm, but that got quieter over time.

I think I paid $525 or so shipped for the clutch.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Is it required to replace the flywheel if using STI clutch parts? Same/diff bolt pattern?

I'm looking to spend less if possible. I haven't yet paid for my turbo and just last night got the clutch to slip.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

Is it required to replace the flywheel if using STI clutch parts? Same/diff bolt pattern?

I'm looking to spend less if possible. I haven't yet paid for my turbo and just last night got the clutch to slip.

I don't know, but likely yes. Part #s for SpecB and STI fly are different. Rumor is SpecB clutch disc is smaller - whether it means pressure plate has different bolt pattern is not clear.

PM member Gator GT. He had STI style installed on his SpecB.

No, a new FW is NOT needed.

Yes, OEM clutches have different part #'s....but I now have an OEM 07 STI clutch on my specB. I had an Exedy stage2 cerametallic STI 6MT clutch installed and it was too much for my commute. Had it replaced with the current OEM 07 STI setup.

Still have the original FW. I think the STI cover plate has a bit more load to it...but just a touch. It is meant to handle 300TQ instead of 241 on the 07B. I've been on it for over a year and it's going good.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

Unclemat and Gator....Thanks!

I heard that the FW was smaller but didn't know if the diameter of where the clutch makes contact with it was a bit smaller.

Then I came across your post, doing a search, and saw that you put in 07 STI parts but I thought you also changed out the FW.

Good to know you didn't.

Now to see if I can afford that and a trubo ;)

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

• 1 month later...

So after 11k miles, my clutch finally gave out. :lol: So I guess I'm now looking for an ACT hd-ss clutch and I'll probably just pair it with the 06 STi flywheel that I have sitting in my garage. Hopefully I can get this done this week. Thanks so much for all the great info guys.

~Mary

By the way Perry .... did you replace the flywheel with your clutch ??

I'm running the Streetlite for the STi and have had no issues with grinding, vibration, engagement, etc.

So after 11k miles, my clutch finally gave out. :lol:

~Mary

:eek:

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

i did...

i'm sure i have the same setup as well

i've done some reading here and i guess it's normal...

maybe it's "chatter" but even the ACT brochure says that chatter is normal..

should have taken a ride in your car when you were here for the meet, Greg

Kinda figured that was the case but wasn't 100% sure.

A drive would have worked. Sorry. :redface:

I can tell you that the meth and re-tune made a world of difference. The car is incredible now. ;)

So after 11k miles, my clutch finally gave out. :lol: So I guess I'm now looking for an ACT hd-ss clutch and I'll probably just pair it with the 06 STi flywheel that I have sitting in my garage. Hopefully I can get this done this week. Thanks so much for all the great info guys.

~Mary

Mine last till about 14k, the last 2k was with the 20g

• 2 weeks later...

ok, well we ended up putting in an ACT HD-SS clutch and 06 STi light flywheel. Car seems to be responding a lot better now. The clutch is a bit stiff, but I guess I'll get used to it.

The reason I had to replace it at 11k miles is because when I tuned the car for e-85 a few weeks ago it put me over 300tq, and it appears that the specB clutch can't handle anything more than that.

^^^

I'm running this setup.

The clutch will loosen up a bit with driving..... and you will get used to the stiffness. In about a week or 2 you won't notice much difference.

I'm joining the club, here. I'm starting to get slipping in 5th, no surprise after going way past 300 ftlbs. peak. Any advice on sticking close to the stock pedal feel/lightness? For the folks who went with the OEM STi clutch and pressure plate, how is it doing?
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Duke, I've had the 07 OEM STi clutch setup (w/o FW) for 18k miles and it's still in top shape!

I'll give a review later this week when the ACT clutch kit goes in.

Thanks for the feedback, Gator. If I simply can't stand the drivability of the ACT, I could retro to the STi. Hopefully, the ACT will be a good compromise between durability and drivability.

URGENT: Do not buy ACT clutch kit labeled for 07-09 spec.B!!

I purchased the ACT HD6-SSMM clutch kit labeled for the 07-09 spec.B. My installer attempted to install it today, and it is NOT for the 6MT. It appears to be a 5MT clutch and pressure plate.

At first I was skeptical (as was the retailer when I notified them). But holding the pressure plate up to the OEM flywheel, there are very obvious problems. First, the diameter is off by almost an inch. Second, the mounting points do not come close to lining up. After sending in pics, the retailer is taking care of me. But what on earth was ACT smoking when they labeled this kit for the spec.B?? Now I'm out a full day of installer billable hours, with a clutch that still slips.

Pics to come if you're interested.

Archived