LegacyGT.com

Is a spec B worth it?????

jonklein611

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For what you get, I couldn't justify the price hop. If they had ditched the navigation package, and thrown in DCCD and some other stuff, I would have been much more willing to buy the Spec.B, but as it stands, might as well buy an STi (next year :))

Dear god, I hope I don't start a flame war.... :hide:

But I'm starting to look at getting a new car sooonish (read after college). I'm just wondering for those that have Spec B's, are they worth that extra chunk of cash?

How about LGT owners, is it worth it to run 89+ in your car just to go faster (i know the answer, yes!!!) :lol:

I've only heard good things about the newer Legs and the Spec B keeps calling me (in red mmmmmm :wub:) but @ 35K that's a lot of car.....

I'm open for some thoughts here...

Prediction 1: Most of those that have them will say they're worth it.

Prediction 2: Most of those who don't have them will say they're not worth it.

Drive the 5-speed GT, then drive the 6-speed Spec.b. Your personal preference for the transmission should dictate which car to get. Pretty much everything else on the GT can be modified to match, or exceed, the spec.b within a reasonable budget.

Best advice above. It's about gearing on 5 spd vs. 6 spd.

Do you think the 07 is noticeably quicker? Or better to drive?

My 05 was stage 2, so the B was slower. I took all the parts off a couple days before I traded it, so it wasn't at it's best performing. But the Spec B does handle better. I think that it rides better than the 05 did, not sure which part of the suspension does that though.

the car makes a lot of ppl on these forums pretty angry for various reasons.

I've noticed that as well, and it's puzzling. Of course, there was an individual here who made a bad name for himself by aggressively defending Spec.Bs at every opportunity, and maybe that's engendered some of the animosity. But more generally, that one person doesn't seem to account for the outright hatred that comes out now and then.

For my part, it's the 6MT that's made the car worth it for me. Almost everything else (the 18" wheels being a good example) can be added on to a regular LGT. HPH

The only spec bs i would want would be 07 and up. And its hard to find a spec b for under 17k which is what i got my 05 lgt with 35kmiles for. If there was a spec for sale for under 20 with the same miles i would have taken that even if it was 3kmore. But its damn near impossible to find a 07+ spec b for 20gs or less.

The only features I really wanted on the Spec B (07+) were the 6-spd and STi interior. I bought my LGT knowing full well what was coming w/the 07's, but still chose it due to cost and having $$ left over for mods to bring it up to par w/the Spec.

I'm sure there are VERY GOOD deals to be had on either model you choose, given the current state of the car business. I was offered $500 below invoice on an 06' Spec B on the spot back then, if the interior wasn't red I would've seriously considered it.

As I see it any anomosity at all only comes from one of three things (or maybe all);

1) You are angry that SOA charges so much more for it.

2) You really would have liked to own one but because of #1 you cannot afford it.

3) Tired of the mine is better than yours attitude from some...

That's no reason to hate...(ok, maybe #3 is but DON'T direct that to the rest of us).

I knew I'd have mine for a while and anytime I factor this in I buy it loaded or look for something else. In this case loaded meant the Spec-B. I for one apreciate the 6spd, the R180, the aluminum suspension (Huge difference in ride), great seats, and the NAV. I don't consider 32k (what I paid) as being too much compared to it's competition.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

As I see it any anomosity at all only comes from one of three things (or maybe all);

2) You really would have liked to own one but because of #1 you cannot afford it.

That's no reason to hate...(ok, maybe #3 is but DON'T direct that to the rest of us).

I knew I'd have mine for a while and anytime I factor this in I buy it loaded or look for something else. In this case loaded meant the Spec-B. I for one apreciate the 6spd, the R180, the aluminum suspension (Huge difference in ride), great seats, and the NAV. I don't consider 32k (what I paid) as being too much compared to it's competition.

I think that is the biggest factor. Every time price gets brought up they always result back to for a few thousand more you can get a 335i. I also think a lot of people here believe that for the price the spec B should also have more hp then a regular LGT. A lot of people think basically for the price you pay for a spec B you should be getting an LSTi and that a spec B should replace the regular LGT at the current LGT's price.

Personally I took forever to buy a new car. The spec B had the most to offer for the money so that's why I bought it. I looked at cars like a MB C230, BMW 328I (sorry I'm not a baller), a MazdaSpeed 6, a Volvo S60R (used), and a bazillion other cars new and used. Hell I work at an Audi dealer and could have bought an Audi for dealer cost. I just couldn't find a car other then a spec B that had the reliability, and most the options that I wanted that came from the showroom floor like it. Yeah I could have modded something, and tweaked something but I just want to be able to turn the key and drive the damn thing. I also love being able to drop it off at the dealership for service and say fix it without having to take parts off or reprogram something back to stock. A couple of weeks ago I took my spec B up to Oshkosh Wisconsin for the EAA airshow and I averaged about 29mpg doing 75mph both ways. I think that's pretty good being a full time awd car with the a/c blasting.

Before you think I am fully in love with it, yeah I would love an extra 50hp (at least), better (Brembo) brakes, and other odds and ends. If I got those I would have probably paid about $40k for it (instead of the $32k) and still not been totally happy with the car.

Over all I like it. Next to nobody knows who makes it until I tell them. I've had dozens of people suddenly consider buying one after seeing my car cause they thought it was made by a more upscale manufacturer. Cops don't bother with it cause it doesn't have a stupid big wing on the back and a grapefruit shooter. So to all the haters, it is what it is and I gotta make the payments on it.

I've noticed that as well, and it's puzzling. Of course, there was an individual here who made a bad name for himself by aggressively defending Spec.Bs at every opportunity, and maybe that's engendered some of the animosity. But more generally, that one person doesn't seem to account for the outright hatred that comes out now and then.

Yeah, when the 06 Spec Bs came out, certain individuals (they-who-must-not-be-named) were acting like complete dillholes making a lot of unsubstantiated claims and thus generated a ton of animosity which confused a lot of 07 spec B owners (like myself) who were thrown off by all the anger. That and for some reason, the presence of SI Drive really gets ppl here pissed off as well. also coincidentally starting with the 07 model year.

My 05 was stage 2, so the B was slower. I took all the parts off a couple days before I traded it, so it wasn't at it's best performing. But the Spec B does handle better. I think that it rides better than the 05 did, not sure which part of the suspension does that though.

It's the handpicked chassis.

I upgraded to the full aluminum suspension in my GT, and it was a subtle difference, at best. Pretty much every other suspension modification (with the exception of the lower arm bars) made a more drastic difference, to me, in handling and ride quality.

For the ~1,300 (IIRC) the aluminum parts cost, it was very low bang for the buck. However, it was a good opportunity to do other mods (LCA bushings, Ball-joints, etc..) and save some unsprung weight at the same time.

The Bilsteins are the critical part of the suspension that makes the spec.b that much "better" riding than the GT, and that is why I'll always recommend tires and struts as the first mods to a newbie.

Archived