LegacyGT.com

Nissan Eco pedal

:mad: This is scary. Now I dont like fuel prices being the way they are but if I want to burn gas I should be able to do it. sure its optional now, but as we know with GM and their DBW systems, we are losing the ability to drive our cars the way we want to.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/daily-news/080805-Nissan-Gas-Pedal-Will-Push-Back-Against-Gas-Prices/

Nissan Gas Pedal Will Push Back Against Gas Prices

Posted: Aug. 05, 2008 10:08 a.m.

Automakers are radically rethinking our relationship with gasoline after prices hit record highs this summer, but this may be the strangest idea we've come across yet. The AP reports, "Nissan Motor Co. will soon sell cars that push back when drivers try to put the pedal to the metal." The "ECO Pedal" system, "makes the gas pedal press upward when it senses motorists are speeding up too quickly."

who are they to say I'm speeding up too quickly?

According to the Detroit News, the system "calculates the most efficient rate of acceleration in a vehicle and causes the gas pedal to push back to alert overzealous drivers." The manufacturer claims the ECO Pedal "can help drivers improve fuel efficiency 5 percent to 10 percent."

I know its optional, but to this kind of feature I say screw you Nissan..you start standardizing this crap and I'm scratching you off my list of products to consider if/when subaru fails me.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I read about that in the news a couple days ago and that scares me to think in specific situations where you need to go WOT to avoid an accident or something. If we keep losing more and more control of our vehicles and let the computer do it then I won't trust the computer. Then I'm gonna go shopping for a old school muscle with a good ole fashioned V8!

it can work for the humdrum daily ppl. the pedal doesn't stop you from accelerating fast, just makes it harder. so i don't see how this will make driving less fun. if anything this will even out all the left leg muscles ppl have with the clutch work.

^ :lol: good point.

I imagine this only comes on Nissan's rubber band CVT automatics tho. I doubt we'll be seeing this in their premium vehicles like the Z and that other thing that I cant remember.. my brain hurts.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

If we keep losing more and more control of our vehicles and let the computer do it then I won't trust the computer. Then I'm gonna go shopping for a old school muscle with a good ole fashioned V8!

I agree.

I have been telling my wife, that if this stuff continues, that my next car will be either a classic Jag XJ sedan, or a Classic air cooled Porsche.

As simple and non-computerized as possible.

Between OnStar (completely unaccountable), and black boxes that can be used against you in court, and nanny state-style bullcrap like this "eco-pedal", it makes me want to retroactively react by going lo-tech.

I read about that in the news a couple days ago and that scares me to think in specific situations where you need to go WOT to avoid an accident or something. If we keep losing more and more control of our vehicles and let the computer do it then I won't trust the computer. Then I'm gonna go shopping for a old school muscle with a good ole fashioned V8!

there...

"If the driver is intent on accelerating, the resistance can be pushed through without too much effort."

I thought about posting this in the PA but thought it more other cars relevant than politically.

I may be overblowing this "feature." Its probably just a supplement to hybrids and crap like that to help them both meet EPA standards and to give people who have lead foots and cant control themselves to have the car do it for them.

What gets me is the rather "drivers are morons" attitude Nissan takes towrads this.

Now theres 2 things that come to mind after having this sink in for a while.

1. A little old lady tries to get on the highway and of course pokes through the loop because she doesn't like the car leaning. She gets to the bottom of the ramp and is going 40. She tries to stomp on it but forgets she has this feature and it pushes back. She is not strong enough to "push through" the resistance and then tries to merge into 80mph traffic doing only 55. She dies... This will probably cause a lot of wrecks and similar things from people forgetting its turned on and being too weak to work around it, or not fully understanding it.

2. This could theoretically increase overall fleet fuel economy in apparent advertising if not for CAFE standards and allow Nissan to have other less fuel efficient higher end vehicles.

The fact that you can turn it off I think gives it somewhat of a validity.. what concerns me is the "slippery slope" of sorts of this kind of action by an automaker. What happens before someone picks it up and mandates it? or before every auto maker makes it mandatory and removes the ability to turn it off w/o doing some crazy rain dance ritual every time you start the car. "press the brake pedal 3 times holding it each time to the floor as hard as you can for 2 seconds, the 4th time just tap it, then put the car in reverse, drive, reverse, park, drive, reverse, park and it will be unlocked" <-- GM has a similar rain dance for their oil life meter in their higher end trucks and suvs..

UMM..it's not gonna push back with 100lbs of force. It's probly only enough resistance to let you know what's going on. Anyone would be able to push the pedal down farther.

it's not a safety hazard. Just like a kickdown switch on alot of auto cars.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

+1 we have a political arena if you want to discuss politics. I posted this under other cars because it was specifically an 09 nissan release that I didn't think would be a positive selling item.

I would be interested in seeing how this application works out in a car like the LGT. For the most part I try to keep my foot out of it while putting around. How would it respond in a modded car though (I'd imagine since it is expecting stock enging output/characteristics, it would essentially be worthless).

Interesting concept for sure, and in a small car I'd like to see how it drives before I rule it out as worthless. Time will tell if it proves worthwhile, or if it is written off as a gimmick for CAFE,etc.

1. A little old lady tries to get on the highway and of course pokes through the loop because she doesn't like the car leaning. She gets to the bottom of the ramp and is going 40. She tries to stomp on it but forgets she has this feature and it pushes back. She is not strong enough to "push through" the resistance and then tries to merge into 80mph traffic doing only 55. She dies... This will probably cause a lot of wrecks and similar things from people forgetting its turned on and being too weak to work around it, or not fully understanding it.

This is standard practice right now for most drivers. I'd say at least 50% or more of drivers merge onto the highway at 40-50mph or even less! It's absolutely epidemic. It isn't the cars either, my old VW microbus with it's 67 HP could get up to speed in most situations. It's probably why nobody wants to use the right lane on limited access highways anymore, so they don't have to deal with these idiots. I've actually had to stop on entance ramps and let the slow car ahead of me get ahead so I could merge in at the same speed as the traffic. This really pisses me off...

Some of us don't care at all about gas mileage. I mean I really could not care less, even at over $4 a gallon. My truck gets 9mpg (mostly due to my driving) and it doesn't concern me at all! When I want WOT, I want WOT, and apparently that's a good bit of the time. Yes, my quad cab 4x4 Ram uses premium thanks to the programmer & other mods I've done. I still don't care! In fact, I'm always looking for more mods to make even more power and probably less mileage too.

I bought my LGT and added all this crap to it so I can enjoy the power when I want it. If that's every time I accelerate, that's my choice. I pay for the gas.

Anybody ever drove a GM product from the late 80s that told you when to shift? Ever try to follow its advice? You'll end up in top gear by 40 mph. This "kickback" system is just a modern version of that nanny. At least on those vehicles you could remove the bulb and never see that stupid arrow again.

u mean a shift light indicator? don't ppl install that now to help them shift w/o having to look at the tach in a drag race?

the thing is, this is designed for the general public in mind. you know those ppl that tend to talk on their cell phones, shave, put makeup on, or eat a burger while driving to or from work.

this tech will most likely go onto the econo models of nissan/infiniti vehicles and not in the more performance oriented models (ie 370z, g37, gt-r, probably trucks, etc)

so unless u plan on driving a 2.0L sentra or versa or similar type vehicles in the future i think u will be safe from this eco-pedal.

Archived