LegacyGT.com

Quality of Rota Wheels?

smokin.legacy

I was looking at purchasing the Rota GR-A wheels and a dealer told me that the quality of the Rota wheels has been severely hindered recently and I may want to purchase somethign else. Is this true? Anyone know of other brands that look similar.....OZ and Prodrive are a little expensive for my blood.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did that dealer sell Rota? Maybe trying to get you to buy a more expensive brand? Rota's are really good for the price. The only issues I've ever heard about are on some of the older wheel models, which I don't think anyone wants anymore anyway. The ones your talking about I think are fine....Tarmac II? Anyway, I wouldn't be concerned.

I have a set of 17x8 Torques and love them.

Check out posts from IAG performance and subydude in the vendor classifieds for good Rota wheel deals. Most 17's should run you around $600-700 and 18's around $700-800.

I was looking at purchasing the Rota GR-A wheels and a dealer told me that the quality of the Rota wheels has been severely hindered recently and I may want to purchase somethign else. Is this true? Anyone know of other brands that look similar.....OZ and Prodrive are a little expensive for my blood.

this should set your question/post really straight.

i have 18x8 Rota Torques Hyper Black (painted High Gloss Black by rattle can) I have had them on my LGT for about 53-54K miles on NY city streets, NY highways, a few times on NJ highways and roads, as well as been through/on some really rough roads, and i havnt had any damage to the rim in any which way or form, plus ive had to replace the tires 3 times on these rims so they are really good rims in my opinion.

Just be wise with the color you purchase becuase they might look awesome when clean but some look like absolute shit when dirty, the hyper blacks look like they are black and have a slight red hue to them when they are covered in brake dust

^ High Gloss Black from a rattle can does not equal Rota "Hyper Black".

Correct. They were purchased in HYPER BLACK, and then RATTLE CANNED to HIGH GLOSS BLACK, becuase i like BLACK rims, and the HYPER BLACK is like a cross between BLACK and GREYish.

yeah he claimed he wasd a dealer of Rota's. He said they did make really good stuff but recently they been crap. He didn't explain why exactly. I don't mind spending more money but $350 per wheel for painted stuff is ridiculous in my mind. Anyone have any other brands they know of I should look at?

I just found out yesterday that my front left wheel was bent. I nailed a huge pothole about a month ago and when I went to get my wheels balanced and aligned I found out it was bent.

I'm convinced most rims would've bent had they hit this same pothole though. It was really deep and I hit it going about 65 MPH.

PS - I have the rota attacks.

Correct. They were purchased in HYPER BLACK, and then RATTLE CANNED to HIGH GLOSS BLACK, becuase i like BLACK rims, and the HYPER BLACK is like a cross between BLACK and GREYish.

O I C

don't forget hyper black also has a chrome look to it.

Just be wise with the color you purchase becuase they might look awesome when clean but some look like absolute shit when dirty, the hyper blacks look like they are black and have a slight red hue to them when they are covered in brake dust

The red hue is due more to your brake pads than the wheel color.

The quality of most rota wheels are great, plus for the price you can easily switch styles if you grow bored of one set, sell it, recoup most of your money and buy a new set. Much harder to do when youve invested in $1500+ genuine forged wheels. Not worth it IMHO, esp when that money could be invested in other performance bits.

Furthermore, Rota copies *great* wheel designs.

^^ The fact that that picture is on the dirt makes me think that maybe someone thought they could rally the car. Or they could have just pulled over into the dirt...Either way its not going to do that with normal driving.

I drove rotas for 2 yrs or 30k miles on my WRX and even fully loaded and towing I never had a problem. I would rather curb a $160 rota than its more expensive counterpart.

^^ The fact that that picture is on the dirt makes me think that maybe someone thought they could rally the car. Or they could have just pulled over into the dirt...Either way its not going to do that with normal driving.

I drove rotas for 2 yrs or 30k miles on my WRX and even fully loaded and towing I never had a problem. I would rather curb a $160 rota than its more expensive counterpart.

Exactly. I wanted a set of the Advan RS in +29 offset... but the $2300 price tag just is way too much! :(

So I decided I'm going to settle for the new G Force Concaves for LESS than HALF the price of the Advans and pick up a dp to go stg 2, plus maps to go along with it. :) Both will still be cheaper than the Advans.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

I have a set of Rota Formula Mesh. I hit a big pothole on the highway, at about 75mph the other week. Washing the car last night I noticed the right front is slightly bent at the lip. There is no vibration and it holds air, so I am going to keep it. I guess my point is I'm glad they are relativley cheap to replace if needed.
335HP/360Tq VF-22/1820 clone with Meth

^Yikes! That's cast rims for you.

there are cheap forged wheels (Sportmax?) and expensive cast wheels (Advan?). It's not the method as much as the cost that matters. Not even a BBS forged wheel can stand up to a curb at 60mph, though if it were a Rota, it would be cheaper to replace.

rota's are good for the price. me, i would love me a set of superleggera's but are discontinued. i noticed though that when they are on sale they are always bent. goes to show that name brand isnt always best. i also see a lot of bent ssr wheels.

I had prodrive and the finish didnt even last 2 years. So whats everyones definition of quality? lol Up for sale if any one wants to buy em and paint em lol. I would expect a rim to bend hitting huge potholes excess of 40......I hear no other suggestions for moderately priced wheels so looks liek im keepin with the rotas

I have owned many different types of wheels, but for finish durability I have to agree that they are not on the top of my list. I haven't ever had the pleasure of testing their wheel strength (and I hope I never get the chance) but I have never had a bent Rota in the few sets I have owned. If you are a wheel fanatic like I am, go for the higher end wheels. If you want something other than stock, that is durable and easy to replace then just get a set of rotas.

I have owned many different types of wheels, but for finish durability I have to agree that they are not on the top of my list. I haven't ever had the pleasure of testing their wheel strength (and I hope I never get the chance) but I have never had a bent Rota in the few sets I have owned. If you are a wheel fanatic like I am, go for the higher end wheels. If you want something other than stock, that is durable and easy to replace then just get a set of rotas.

other then prodrive and OZ what are similar wheels out there? I like these

775203236_Rota-GR-A.jpg.e16e9282cd7096b5cbead9af510011b9.jpg

other then prodrive and OZ what are similar wheels out there? I like these

There are lots of companies out there, I like to buy used wheels because you save gobs of money doing so, check the classifieds from here or NASIOC.com for some nice used wheels also.

Archived