LegacyGT.com

Front Half Shaft Leak - Axle Seal?

mschmidt

Two weeks ago I had my front left axle replaced due to torn CV boot. About two weeks later, I noticed oil drips on the garage floor. I checked my trans, engine and diff. fluids. Only the diff. fluids were low. In fact, the diff. fluid was below the low markings on the dip stick. Today I topped off the diff. with 75 90 Mobil 1. Drove around the block, .6 mile, parked. Half hour later, I smell oil...the entire quart of diff oil I topped was on the ground. What gives? Tomorrow I am driving to the mechanic who replaced the front left axle. It's almost like the oil was pumped out...What do you guys think is going on here?

Thank you.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You guys are right on que. The "seal" to the diff. had hardened and this is were my mechanic thinks it leaked. Then after he completed the job, he said, that if the fluids were topped off too much, that the excess will drain itself. Question..how does a rubber seal completely intact and covered with a little oil harden? Repair cost was $70 includes labor and $10 seal.

• 2 months later...

So when I pulled my axles out of the diff and separated my transmission I had a TON of fluid leaking out of the axle sockets, this doesn't necessarily mean the seals are shot right? I then again I remember I replaced the drivers side seal and it only seemed like it was leaking from the passenger side...

Sent from my HTC6500LVW

• 1 year later...

I seem to recall JmP's sticky in the 4th gen forum has a post about axle seals.

You do know there is a left and a right seal. don't put them in backwards.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

my solution use one quart higher viscosity gear oil. use the three or whatever recommended quarts of (70w90 i think) gear oil then one quart higher viscosity oil (90w120 again dont remember for sure). 50k miles later no issues. no seals replaced and no more oil loss. nana na booboo

• 1 year later...

806735230 = oil seal, right or passenger side

806735240 = oil seal, left or driver side

806975010 = o-ring ( both sides same )

Just went in for the parts, new superseded part numbers:

806735300 = oil seal, right or passenger side

806735290 = oil seal, left or driver side

• 8 months later...
Just went in for the parts, new superseded part numbers:

806735300 = oil seal, right or passenger side

806735290 = oil seal, left or driver side

The seal numbers are the same for the 5EAT differential, up to '09. The numbers change in '09 and newer.

The O-rings for the 5EAT are part number 806984040.

Archived