LegacyGT.com

Front Half Shaft Leak - Axle Seal?

mschmidt

Redline 75W90NS? That fluid is TERRIBLE for a Subaru!
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just had this repair done on Monday. I had a shop replace my clutch and this leak started within a couple weeks after. Another shop did the repair for me. Cost $180.15 to fix ($168 labor + $12.15 parts).

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

Why didn't you just take the car back to the place that did the clutch and have them repair the leak that started after they worked on it?

I just had this repair done on Monday. I had a shop replace my clutch and this leak started within a couple weeks after. Another shop did the repair for me. Cost $180.15 to fix ($168 labor + $12.15 parts).

You must work for subaru?

Do you know how many thousands of subaru owners use this fluid?

It is a full synthetic formula and meets or exceeds the standards required for our vehicles.

How is it terrible for a Subaru?????

:confused:

You should go through the dozens of threads of people using this stuff and warn them.

What fluid do you suggest?

Subaru brand gear oil?

Redline 75W90NS? That fluid is TERRIBLE for a Subaru!

Nope. Don't work for Subaru. I DO have a fair bit of Subaru 5MT experience though.

My experience with the 75W90NS? Poor. Immediately after using it, the trans felt fine. About 6000 miles later? It felt like I was trying to move a wrench through a box of rocks when shifting. Trans started grinding, and shifting became horribly notchy. I liken it to Mobil1 or Royal Purple. Every Subaru I've driven with that fluid starts off good initially, and then quickly degrades from there. Mobil 1 meets or exceeds the standards for Subaru, but search around on it's performance. You'll hear the same thing. "Started off great, but then the trans got really notchy and started grinding".

Just because people use it, doesn't mean it's right. Look at how many people smoke cigarettes. Warn them all day long that it'll kill them, and they still won't stop.

My fluid recommendation? Motul Gear300 with Lightweight Shockproof for the 5MT, and straight Gear300 in the oil-pump-equipped 6MT's.

I hear good things about the Extra-S, but I haven't got enough seat time to comment.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Great news!

The dealer was great.

They said they would check it out at no charge.

They came back a few minutes later and explained how the retaining spring came off on the axle. They put it back in and test drove the car on the lift for about a mile.

No more leaking from the axle.

They topped off with my fluids and delivered the car back no charge.

They even apologized for the hassle of bringing my car back to the dealer.

That is the way to do business.

+1 for Maita Subaru

• 4 weeks later...
I also just noticed the same leak on the passenger side. I did have a clutch installed about 3 months ago and now it is leaking. I wonder if it was so cold out before when I had the clutch done it didn't leak, but now that it is warm around 70-80's it started leaking.

I also just noticed the same leak on the passenger side. I did have a clutch installed about 3 months ago and now it is leaking. I wonder if it was so cold out before when I had the clutch done it didn't leak, but now that it is warm around 70-80's it started leaking.

My leak started a couple months after a clutch install too. Those are delicate seals that need a lot of TLC.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

I just got my seals today. The part number are the same as what was posted earlier. But the bigger seal say's 01SL I told the dealer it was for the passenger side. I hope it is the right one.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I miss the days of stubbed transmissions. Absolutely no drama with them.

• 1 month later...
For those of you who replaced this seal, how do you get it out?

Where does the O-ring go?

I've got to fix mine after my trans install, but am unsure how to remove it.

It's funny how we both found this thread after your tranny install.:(

So the way I installed my seal was:

1.) Get the axle out.

2.) I used one of my coilover spanner wrenches to get the cover plate off the transmission. The seal is pressed into this.

3.) Using my bearing presskit, I found a set of cups and plates that fit well enough to press the seal out.

4.) Reverse process to install new seal.

• 3 weeks later...
Um... how did you replace the seal?

If you unscrewed that funny looking cap, then be ABSOLUTELY certain you tightened it EXACTLY as it was stock (same number of turns, and the lock plate in the exact same spot).

If you didn't pay attention, you can kiss your front diff goodbye.

Ok, so with the last question do you NEED to remove the cover plate and locking ring? Or can you get the seal out with a regular ole puller?

Got a leak on the DS ( and a torn PS boot ). Clutch was replaced right before I bought it, likely the seal was damaged then.

Thanks for any update folks!

Archived