LegacyGT.com

DIY Rear Tail Tint 20$

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
THATS THE SAME STUFF I USED FOR MY TAIL LIGHTS!!! Best stuff ever made, 6ft roll for $12. I didn't even buy the application kit.. I just found a blade and used my credit card. It works better if u take the tail light out, vigorously take out the bubbles and wrap it around and tape it.

i would like to take the tails out and wrap the film around then reinstall the tails but i cant get the carpeting out of the truck without breaking the cargo net clips

For the cargo net clips, don't break them.... You have to turn them about 90 or 180 degrees and they pop right out, you just gotta find the notch =)

And as for the 3 white clips on top of the bolts on the back of the tail light, just pry them off with a flat head screwdriver. Then you're going to see 2 other clips on the far end of you near the fender... Don't touch those b/c it's not going to help. Once you pop out the cargo net clip, carefully peel back the liner so you have enough room to work with, and then pry off the white things covering the bolts which hold the wires nice and neat, then unscrew the 3 or 4 bolts, and just wiggle the tail light out.

Just did mine using the privacy tint they carry at home depot. Looks very dark but they seem to still be legal in OH. I went the extra step and tinted the brake light on the spoiler. WOW! This really brought it together. You can't even tell there is a brake light on the spoiler (my car is black), until you hit the brake.

As far as application, I had some trial and error. I found that it was easier leaving the taillights on the car (as opposed to taking them out) when putting on the tint. What worked for me, I took a large sheet of tint sheet and loosely stuck it onto the taillight. Then I trimmed it down so that I had about an extra inch of tint on the edges of the light. Then I started on one side, getting it pressed on and smoothed out, and used my hands to smooth it out across the light. There were several times I got creases and had to peel the tint back and then smooth it on again. After this, I had the light covered, but still had small bubbles and creases, ecspecially around the edges. At this time, I trimmed it down again by running the razor blade along the edges of the taillight. Then the tint was sticking better on the edges. After this I used my hands and a small rubber squeegee to smooth out tint again. After getting a side perfect, I would trim it down again.

Trimming the edges repeatedly seems to be the key to doing this correctly. It's important to have the tint go to edge of the taillight, but don't leave any to wrap around, this is where it always seems to start peeling. Also this isn't a one day job. You have to smooth it out and trim it for a couple of days afterwards.

Pictures:

1st: Right Light done. 2nd Both lights done. 3rd Spoiler done as well. 4th Brake lights lit up at dusk.

1.JPG.7f756d5705728a83a91895a59f2c299f.JPG

2.JPG.9dee22cb2b67a3de71d338f14b1a0ea3.JPG

3.JPG.8f5627e94d65ba6401f4faec690e5f48.JPG

4.JPG.1f997d7cad03cd730beaea5fb24f5395.JPG

Check local laws. In Ohio as long as your lights are still visible from 300 feet away, it's legal. I went with the privacy tint that they sell at home depot. This is much darker than what rurouni_x used, but is still legal in OH. You can't even tell I have taillights until they come on.

• 1 month later...
nice job/idea. i've been looking into tail tints but they are so damn expensive then you have to put them on yourself. $20 plus a little effort isn't a bad deal at all. the best part is when i screw it up (because i will screw it up) i will plenty of supplies to try it again. i will be doing this very soon. maybe home depot will put my car in one of their commercials to show off my " window tint tails" and my "rubber garage door sealer front lip."

...where the heck is the garage door lip? I can never find it when I go in there.

I tried this technique about a month ago, looked really good but I removed it after a cop told me it's not legal in Colorado. Very lame...

I had my inspection yesterday and they told me if I didn't take it off that they would fail me. I had it on for two years, passed two inspections and cops never looked twice.

Never going to that inspection place again.

I still have glue residue on my tail lights what did you use to get it off.

Archived