LegacyGT.com

Top Gear: STi vs. Evo X

that's the most glowing review of the Evo 10 that I've seen yet.

Clarkson really makes it look like fun.

Did I hear right when he said it was an FQ360 though...? Isn't that cheating a bit?

that's the most glowing review of the Evo 10 that I've seen yet.

Clarkson really makes it look like fun.

Did I hear right when he said it was an FQ360 though...? Isn't that cheating a bit?

He did the lap times with the equal powered FQ300 with the Sti, so no, not really cheating, the difference in power doesnt really have much to do with why he liked the Evo better.

evo is much more fun to drive than the sti , but it is not a DD . it cannot be ! suspensions are more stiff , bucket seat more around you , sterring more hard , everithing is more racy in the evo than in the STI.

and then there is that tiny truck ! how the hell can you go on a holliday if fyou don't have room for more than one bag .

and the plastic inside the evo makes you puke...

but as strict from the point of view of fun and drivability on the track EVO is the winner.

The Evo has had the dynamic edge for the Sti for a long time, not sure why this is even being discussed, as everyone already knows. But each car is liked for different reasons.

Also ppl who have watched Top Gear for more than this past season already know this has been said over and over again in their comparo reviews:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sBurzYyMcU]YouTube - Top Gear Evo TME Vs Subaru STI 22B[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fevj7f1lwhc]YouTube - Top gear Mitsubishi evo vs sti[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG5eRLlbHIU]YouTube - 04 Subaru Sti vs 04 Mitsubishi Evo[/ame]

So there you go, they've always said the same thing over and over/

Stiggy drove the STI around the track at 1:28.2 and the FQ300 at 1:28.22. They didn't go around the track with the FQ360. One thing to keep in mind, the Evo is better because it cost more, much more. Hence more of the luxury items like the SatNav.

Funny thing about the review is that the '08 UK spec STI they drove had on our smaller '07 STI wheel and tire package. It still was able to pip the EVO X when they had to lap the track. I wonder how the STI would have faired, with a better tire/wheel package.

I'm pretty sure the FQ360(modded) was the verson doing donuts around the STI.

I was suprised that the '08 2.5L STI with the crappy wheel package was able to be on par with EVO. Most of the 2.5L STI comparos have the car lapping well behind the EVO.

I suspect that the STI, is probably faster car on the track then the EVO. However, it has to be in the right hands. The couple comparos where race drivers get behind the wheel. The STI seems to be on par or better then the new EVO.

EVO looks like a much easier car for most people to drive. I definitely want to drive a new EVO X.

I actually recall a BEST MOTORING video where they tested the old STI and EVO against the new sieblings and the order was old STI, new STI, old EVO, new EVO (manual) new EVO (with the manumatic DSG wannabe).

Stiggy drove the STI around the track at 1:28.2 and the FQ300 at 1:28.22. They didn't go around the track with the FQ360. One thing to keep in mind, the Evo is better because it cost more, much more. Hence more of the luxury items like the SatNav.

How does it cost soo much more, my buddy just picked up an 08 white evo, for 35k, it had 2 miles on it. I have yet to see a STI priced that low.

The 2 STIs i drove were both marked at 38 and some change, so the evo was actually a little less not to mention the dealership he bought it from has a deal where you dont pay for gas for the first year, it has a limit which comes out to be 125 dollars a month for gas(1500 for the year). The Evo MR or something like that might be more than 38k but just your average 5 speed evo isnt.

I checked out both before I ended up with the 08 STI. The STI seat is so much more comfortable for daily driving. It is the most comfortable seat I have ever sat in. Granted, the evo's seat is a perfect track seat but driving on the freeway in that doesn't seem ideal.

Also, we went shopping up in Park City for my wifes birthday over the weekend. We bought so many clothes and all of it fit easily in the hatchback of the sti. No battery to worry about hitting or anything else.

While I love the STI, I am willing to admit that the EVO is a better drivers car but that does't mean it's a better car for me.

I would agree that the STI is better for those who want to take it on road trips and have alot of stuff or familys. The evos seats arent bad for long trips, not the best but def not the worst i have sat in for long trips. We took his evo to the dells which is a 2 to 3 hour drive from here and I wasnt hurting after the trip, then again i am a pretty skinny guy at 6'3" and i only weigh 200, my friend who owns the car is 5'9" and 250lbs and he says its a bit uncomfortable at times. The STI seats are pretty nice but like i said before i cant stand wagons lol

EVO = Track, faster, more gimmicks, technology etc

STi = Daily driver, looks, little more comfort and room.

If I had to choose between the two, once I work from home, no commuting, traffic etc, I would go for the EVO for sure....

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Its not like the evo clearly out handles or clearly has more power than the STI. After driving both the evo alot more since my friend has one i would say in handling they are pretty equal and in straight out speed i would actually give it to the STI. I can tell you one thing my stage 2 auto legacy takes his evo from a dig mainly cause he wont launch any higher than 3k(cause its a new car) and from a 2nd gear roll i take him everytime by 1-2 cars. It the same race everytime i pull 1 in 2nd and the we stay pretty equal all the way through 3rd, sometimes i gain another car through 3rd but most of the time he just sits 1 car back until 100mph when i usually let off.

As far as driving the evo to work, i would, i ride a cbr 600 to work most days it doesnt rain, thats not the most comfortable 45min-1hour drive but i do it cause its more fun. The Problem everyone has with the evos limited space is do you have a life? Do you like to take road trips with friends or family? Go camping, hunting, fishing trips, basically anytime you go aways from home for a couple days your gonna say why didint i get the STI lol but if your single with no friends or just fat and dont leave your house then the evo is def a great car.

EVO = Track, faster, more gimmicks, technology etc

STi = Daily driver, looks, little more comfort and room.

If I had to choose between the two, once I work from home, no commuting, traffic etc, I would go for the EVO for sure....

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

I pray that you are talking about older looks Flavio. There isn't anything that looks nicer than an EVO on that new STi.:lol:

I checked out both before I ended up with the 08 STI. The STI seat is so much more comfortable for daily driving. It is the most comfortable seat I have ever sat in. Granted, the evo's seat is a perfect track seat but driving on the freeway in that doesn't seem ideal.

Also, we went shopping up in Park City for my wifes birthday over the weekend. We bought so many clothes and all of it fit easily in the hatchback of the sti. No battery to worry about hitting or anything else.

While I love the STI, I am willing to admit that the EVO is a better drivers car but that does't mean it's a better car for me.

There you have it. All-round comfort = STi (somehting that I'd be more interested in for sure)

Styling is subjective of course but I'd have to hand it to the EVO. Neither are sexy cars per se, but the STi / WRX offering is just, um, not cool looking. The Mazda 3 looks better, yes this has been determined a year ago...

As someone already pointed out, it's not in that video clip, but they actually did put the Stig on the track on them, and the STI did the lap faster (by 0.02 seconds) :lol:

Just proves that even though Clarkson swears it's better/faster, it's.. well.. not

Archived