LegacyGT.com

BoostJunkie will you finally respond?

Boostjunkie Responded and is helping me to correct this problem, thank you again Paul. :)

----------------------------------------- Keep This Open for developments Please Mods

I need to know about my claim sent over a month ago.. yet no reply as of yet. Im trying to go the nice route but I need to get this resolved asap.

Back story: Bought MR Up pipe new, with in 5000 miles or 4 months the inner flex section came apart and went into the turbo. Its looking like the turbo, intercooler and short block all need replacement. I cant get an answer from the vendor Boostjunkie after several PM's and waiting im trying to get ahold of the company Megan Racing. If this claim cannot be resolved, ill be taking the compant to small claims court. My suggestion to everyone, do NOT buy a MR Uppipe unless you want to be one of the lucky few who experience what I did:

Hello-

Is there any update as of yet? I sent multiple messages and just wanted to know if you sent the claim in or if I need to contact the warranty department myself directly. The reason of urgency is that this pipe led to the destruction of my turbo. An oil change was done after this problem was discovered and metal flakes were discovered in it. I'm sending the oil for a used oil analysis. Im trying to get this resolved sooner rather than later as my car has been sitting down at the shop for a month now. If they refuse to honor my claim or I never get a reply, I unfortunatly feel the need to bring this to the boards attention, as well as other subaru boards, I however do not wish to and would rather figure this out privatly. The turbo blew as a direct result of this pipe failing, and now im afraid it may have found its way into the engine. Attached are the Pics I sent a month ago as a reminder incase you forgot.

Thanks

-Chris

Ok, here are the pictures, should be self explanatory.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l247/TwoFive555/MR%20Up%20pipe/DSC00041.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l247/TwoFive555/MR%20Up%20pipe/DSC00053.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l247/TwoFive555/MR%20Up%20pipe/DSC00051.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l247/TwoFive555/MR%20Up%20pipe/DSC00045.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l247/TwoFive555/MR%20Up%20pipe/DSC00049.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l247/TwoFive555/MR%20Up%20pipe/DSC00050.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l247/TwoFive555/MR%20Up%20pipe/DSC00057.jpg

Hello. I'm sorry to hear about the problem you experienced. I you can take a picture of the failed part, I will gladly forward it along to Megan Racing's warranty department for you and state your case.

Paul

Hello

This is the original PM I sent not 4 months and 5000 miles ago. I bought the MR Up Pipe and was informed today (Subaru only shop in Denver) that the up pipe flex section had disintegrated and there was only a small area for exhaust (they said about 1") to get by. On top of that metal flakes were found everywhere before the turbo. Currently the turbo is fine but they are inspecting everything and will be using a sti up pipe in place of the Megan Racing product. I will have pics for you when im there later to pick up the car from its clutch job. I would like some sort of response and your input before I take this publicly to the forums, you can expect pictures of the pipe soon. Im only contacting you since your the vendor I purchased this from. Hope to get a response, Thanks

-Chris

Hello. Which product were you looking for? One of the two available catbacks? The downpipe? The header? The uppipe?

Paypal is just fine. Just let me know which product(s) you are looking for.

Paul

Hey

Wanted to buy one of these, can I paypal you?

Thanks

Chris

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72167

Hi, its been over a month since I sent pictures, still awaiting a reply.

Chris

Hello. I'm sorry to hear about the problem you experienced. I you can take a picture of the failed part, I will gladly forward it along to Megan Racing's warranty department for you and state your case.

Paul

Hello

This is the original PM I sent not 4 months and 5000 miles ago. I bought the MR Up Pipe and was informed today (Subaru only shop in Denver) that the up pipe flex section had disintegrated and there was only a small area for exhaust (they said about 1") to get by. On top of that metal flakes were found everywhere before the turbo. Currently the turbo is fine but they are inspecting everything and will be using a sti up pipe in place of the Megan Racing product. I will have pics for you when im there later to pick up the car from its clutch job. I would like some sort of response and your input before I take this publicly to the forums, you can expect pictures of the pipe soon. Im only contacting you since your the vendor I purchased this from. Hope to get a response, Thanks

-Chris

Hello. Which product were you looking for? One of the two available catbacks? The downpipe? The header? The uppipe?

Paul

Hey

Thanks

Chris

Hi-

It has been a week since I sent the pictures, is there an update yet?

Thanks

Paul

Hello

This is the original PM I sent not 4 months and 5000 miles ago. I bought the MR Up Pipe and was informed today by (Subaru only shop in Denver) that the up pipe flex section had disintegrated and there was only a small area for exhaust (they said about 1") to get by. On top of that metal flakes were found everywhere before the turbo. Currently the turbo is fine but they are inspecting everything and will be using a sti up pipe in place of the Megan Racing product. I will have pics for you when im there later to pick up the car from its clutch job. I would like some sort of response and your input before I take this publicly to the forums, you can expect pictures of the pipe soon. Im only contacting you since your the vendor I purchased this from. Hope to get a response, Thanks

-Chris

Paul

Hey

Thanks

Chris

Paul (BoostJunkie) is a good guy. I'm sure this will get handled, not sure why he hasn't answered your PMs lately though. I think he was on vacation a little while back ???

I think this is the 3rd thread I've seen about the inner flex coming apart, and by far the worst. The other ones just caused a restriction on the inside. I'm a little nervous about my MR pipe but hopefully I won't be one of the unlucky few who's $100 part causes thousands of dollars in damage *crosses fingers*

Paul (BoostJunkie) is a good guy. I'm sure this will get handled, not sure why he hasn't answered your PMs lately though. I think he was on vacation a little while back ???

I think this is the 3rd thread I've seen about the inner flex coming apart, and by far the worst. The other ones just caused a restriction on the inside. I'm a little nervous about my MR pipe but hopefully I won't be one of the unlucky few who's $100 part causes thousands of dollars in damage *crosses fingers*

He was back two weeks ago and has been online since I have sent three PM's.

This is a quality control issue they need to resolve and as well make right to those inconvenienced by this. If im not the only case that proves my point on QC. Ill give Paul a few days to find this thread and reply, otherwise I am taking it straight to MR.

I have all receipts from purchases to replacements, and will soon have a UOA (which had metal in it) as well as a trusted and experienced mechanic on my side and to quote him he has "never seen anything like this before"

I would honestly take out your MR pipe and replace it, whats $100 to a $5000 engine rebuild.

How does an uppipe make the TMIC fail?

It takes out the turbo and sends parts of the turbo through the TMIC and into the motor.

dont try and stop our lynch mob mentality here :mad::lol:

ok im done. Have fun everyone this wont end well :cool:

How does an uppipe make the TMIC fail?

See above pictures with metal pieces hanging out

Imagine said pieces entering turbo

Turbo becomes damaged and unbalanced

Fragments from cold side enter TMIC

That work? :)

EDIT: The turbine wheel became unbalanced (shaft play) and sent fragments from the cold side wheel into the intercooler inlet, upon shaking it metal comes out.

I have been away from my computer and LGT.com a bit more of late than I would really like so I've been a little slower in responding to PM's than in the past so please accept my apologies for the delay in responding. In any case, here was my response to the OP with regards to the flex section in the UP mushrooming and what that can and cannot do:

I responded to your previous message, but the only thing that the uppipe failing in the manner it did could do to the turbo is damage the turbine wheel. It is referred to as "foreign object damage" or FOD for short. If that was the case, then that is something you can certainly pursue with Megan Racing. However, my guess is that the journal bearings in the turbo are what failed, which has nothing to do with the uppipe. There is also no way for any metal to make it's way in to your oil from the uppipe. The exhaust path is very straight forward aft of the uppipe. It goes to the turbine wheels and then out the exhaust. It never comes in to contact with the engine's oil supply.

I have a friend in North Carolina who recently had the turbo in his LGT fail. He performed regular oil changes and his car is bone stock with the exception of a catback. The dealer warrantied it all for him. Little flakes of metal in the oil supply indicates main or rod bearing wear, and those same flakes could have easily clogged the little inline filter in the turbo oil feed line causing the turbo to be starved for oil and the bearings to fail. It's all about cause and effect and in this case, it is basically impossible for the mushroomed mesh inside the uppipe to have caused any of the symptoms you experienced.

Anyways, just as an FYI for everyone else MR has switched manufacturing facilities for all their UP's recently. They are now 100% identical to another big name brand's offerings (of course I cannot mention which brand that is) ;).

^Can we ask for the exchange to the new manufactured UP due to this potential failure of the flex section?

I haven't installed my MR UP yet since I bought it last Aug., and I won't after reading this thread.

Paul is right about the UP inner liner failure only being able to take out the turbine wheel. You could then say the wheel failure could have something to do with the bearings... blah, blah. This is a tough one. Was the failure all of a sudden? Complete loss of power, or was it driven on for awhile?

No, I agree with paul. What in sayin is the wheel became out of balance sending metal from THAT into the IC. The metal shards from the up caused issues on the hot side. Im at this conclusion because after a new pipe was placed in the turbo failed with in a week.

• 1 month later...

Paul ended up making this right :) he is a great vendor. As for MR, ill never buy a product from them after they were unwilling to make this right (Paul actually took a loss to fix this). What I stated above ended up being correct.

A turbo legacy (older ones 1992 I think) uppipe was installed after the mechanic found that the pipe flex section was messed up. Before and after the install there was a different noise that was not there before. Within a week the turbo failed and after inspecting it there was alot of shaft play as well as a destroyed exhaust wheel and pieces chipped off the front wheel. I cant directly prove it was the MR pipe that caused it, but im sure it did.

This can be locked if a mod so chooses. Thank You

Archived