LegacyGT.com

Coolant Change

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I called five different service depts and got some confusion but majority stated mid 2008 and newer uses blue coolant. Older than this recommends uses any green coolant but said Subaru green is better for engine block. One service guy, seemed most knowledgeable, said you might as well call it "Prestone" as it was the same. None said you need the additive.

I asked all if the blue coolant was worth switching to and all agreed but one said you should never mix blue and green as the blue will coagulate and possible block radiator.

The block drain plug is a hex bit 14mm. Unusual bloody thing but makes sense to save room.

518459922_RadiatorDrainPlug.jpg.423a15d54b96319a0e2698f05d159243.jpg

869820023_BlockCoolantplug.jpg.6fe42b0e7f3e50b2d7ebd1e45cd3b293.jpg

Mine is due and I'd like to avoid getting the Subaru green - not too expensive if you mail-order it, but shipping is expensive. Sure would like to confirm the Prestone thing - maybe the fine print on the Subaru stuff would tell you (I don't have any now).

As far as draining, I don't see any reason to mess with the two items in the photograph above - the radiator drain valve and the 14mm hex block drains. I just remove both radiator hoses as well as the thermostat cover. This allows me to flush the bejesus out of both the radiator and the block.

You're not supposed to mix the two because the green takes away the benefits of the long life blue.

Is it even possible for a shade tree mechanic to get the old coolant completely out?

I did 2 drain-outs into the bucket and the second still had a noticeable green shade to it. I did 2 more fills and drains (including pulling the thermostat housing) and what was draining out on the 4th draining was pretty much clear. I ran the engine with the heat on between drains to make sure I was flushing the whole system. I'm confident that I got almost all of the green stuff out sufficiently but it took a while with having the let things cool enough to drain again.

Mine is due and I'd like to avoid getting the Subaru green - not too expensive if you mail-order it, but shipping is expensive. Sure would like to confirm the Prestone thing - maybe the fine print on the Subaru stuff would tell you (I don't have any now).

As far as draining, I don't see any reason to mess with the two items in the photograph above - the radiator drain valve and the 14mm hex block drains. I just remove both radiator hoses as well as the thermostat cover. This allows me to flush the bejesus out of both the radiator and the block.

My 05 has been on 50/50 Prestone since I replaced the timing belt and water pump 3 years ago.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

May be Offtopic....:i have no idea about the subaru coolant conditioner until i found out my head gasket might be leaking.

So... i had no idea whether or not when i had my coolant changed was the coolant conditioner used.

Through google researches, the coolant conditioner helps prevent head gasket leakage and might also stop leakage.

It may take it a while to actually stop the leak. Basically what happens is the little chunks in the coolant conditioner get caught in the area that is leaking. Then when exposed to heat and air, the chunks kind of harden and maybe even enlarge slightly, thus stopping the leak. The type of leak you are describing is where this type of conditioner or stop leak usually works.

My question is... how do i add the subaru coolant conditioner? Just pop open the cap and fill?

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

Wait till it's cool, take off the radiator cap and add it there. Squeeze the top hose a bit before you take off the cap completely off to help push some coolant into the overflow tank and make room for that extra four ozs.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 1 month later...
fill it up at the radiator fill first, put cap back on, then fill it at the turbo coolant tank, leave cap off turbo tank, let it run with the heat on, add coolant while engine is running.

Thanks. Radiator is topped off.....didn't check turbo tank and overflow is empty. So after I start the engine and put the heat on, should I add coolant to the open turbo tank of overflow tank? thanks again

Lol yes. Turbo res tank should be full and overflow at the max mark. The overflow is also a reserve tank for the system to pull from when its low! Run the engine with the turbo cap off and watch and add if needed. After a couple minutes recap and youre done.

I just got the Koyo rad in with blue samco hoses on. Go to Napa and get the non spill yellow funel that you put ontop of the radiator. All you have to do is fill the radiator with all other caps on until it dosn't take anymore. Fill the funnel up 1/3 of the way and turn the car on. Bubles will come up and when you see no more bubbles it is all done. Took me about 15 min of the car running. That is how subaru does it. The teck showed me.

have a friend doing a flush on mine and switching it to the new blue coolant and conditioner.

All they had was the pre-mix in stock so will my mix be diluted too much due to having water left in the system from the flush?

have a friend doing a flush on mine and switching it to the new blue coolant and conditioner.

All they had was the pre-mix in stock so will my mix be diluted too much due to having water left in the system from the flush?

I think the blue only comes pre-mix (which I discovered can have a down side if you have to add to the system but can't get to the dealership). When I did my flush I pulled the thermostat housing each time so as to make sure as much as possible of the green stuff was gone and my new wouldn't be diluted too much. I was surprised how much remains in the system behind the thermostat. If you don't pull it it takes quite a while for what's behind to seep through the hole with the wiggle pin in it. While I had it apart I replaced the thermostat, gasket and 2 small heater hoses as well.

I think the blue only comes pre-mix (which I discovered can have a down side if you have to add to the system but can't get to the dealership). When I did my flush I pulled the thermostat housing each time so as to make sure as much as possible of the green stuff was gone and my new wouldn't be diluted too much. I was surprised how much remains in the system behind the thermostat. If you don't pull it it takes quite a while for what's behind to seep through the hole with the wiggle pin in it. While I had it apart I replaced the thermostat, gasket and 2 small heater hoses as well.

yes I bought a new thermostat gasket as well.

• 2 months later...

Archived