LegacyGT.com

Brakeswap.com Performance Brake Kit for LGT!

magnetic1

Well, currently I'm running HP+ all around with DBA 4000s all around. They are fine on the street, but just not up to the pounding I put to them on the track. I've been told that perhaps a hotter pad would be better to prevent the cracking (less time pumping heat into the rotors) and/or brake ducts. The setup as it is now feels fine on the track, no issues of fade or poor pedal feel or anything like that. I just don't like cracked rotors! :)

-mike

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is it kosher to run front stainless lines with rear rubber ones?

I would not suggest it. You want SS or Rubber all around. We've swapped out a single line when we ruptured one during a race weekend but it was only a short-term fix til we could replace the lines.

-mike

I would not suggest it. You want SS or Rubber all around. We've swapped out a single line when we ruptured one during a race weekend but it was only a short-term fix til we could replace the lines.

-mike

LOL. My short-term fix on the racecar ended up being a long term lazy fix. :) While not ideal, it wont hurt too much. I would recommend doing it at the same time though.

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

• 2 weeks later...

My Brakeswap Wilwood Front Brake Caliper Upgrade Kit (already had newer DBA5000 2-piece front rotors) were installed on Monday. So far only have limited time on them but improved brake pedal feel was immediately apparent (no more using up half the pedal travel before it seems like braking is actually occuring). Also apparent was the decrease in unsprung weight up front.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/TRS60586/Misc%20Legacy/Picture005-1-1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

QUICK HELP!!

I broke the cardinal rule of trying to put something new on a couple days before a track event. Well, the Wilwoods are on, but the pads are pressing seriously against the rotors with no brake pedal pressure applied—sounds like screeching freight train just driving down the road and actually slows the car down.

Got any ideas? I’m thinking either a) the pad/rotor thickness combo is just too tight (the pads are about 15 mm thick), or, more likely b) the calipers are just not aligned properly, either left to right (e.g. too far one way or the other), or are somehow “cockeyed” a little. Could be c) something wrong with the rotors. I looked at it hard as soon as I put it on and it seemed fairly decent, then of course everything gets locked down when the wheel lug nuts are cinched down.

The kit came with 2 spacers…maybe 1/8 inch thick or so…which I put between the caliper and bracket.

Any ideas?

Well, I found the racket…it was the dust shield hitting the 2-piece rotor hardware. The brakes are still tight against the rotors though…super hot even if you just drive around the block and don’t brake (basically, the pads are up against the rotors). I might try swapping rotors out and see what happens.

Andy, those pads are SUPER thick. When put in with new rotors and new pads, they are very tight. Never had a situation where they were so tight though that they were dragging that much.

If you have a belt sander, you could take off a tiny bit.

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

Thanks. I think the 2-piece rotors were maybe a hair (1 mm or so) outboard or inboard. That paired with all new pads, etc., was just too tight a fit. Once the pads lose a little, I'm sure the 2-piece will fit fine (I may also throw in a real thin washer to supplement the spacer).

I threw in some old stock rotors (they were turned once already), and everything fit fine. I like all the pad material, but sometimes I wish they'd make them about 0.5 mm less (have struggle getting stock pads/caliper back together for the same reason). :rolleyes:

Previous to the above solution, I did try sanding them down, but they pads were winning the fight with the belt sander.

One question, I think maybe I glazed the pads with the sander (and unfortunately the stock rotors don't have slots). When bedding them in, the right side was still squeeling. Also, doen't feel like they're hauling down as quick as they should (I have the same XP8 pad my stock calipers).

Thanks again. The calipers are amazingly light and look like they're made extremely well. I'll have to "grind down" the XP12 pads witht the stock rotors as I really want to use my 2-piece on the track (had hoped to have my ducts ready but ran out of time).

Thanks. I think the 2-piece rotors were maybe a hair (1 mm or so) outboard or inboard. That paired with all new pads, etc., was just too tight a fit. Once the pads lose a little, I'm sure the 2-piece will fit fine (I may also throw in a real thin washer to supplement the spacer).

I threw in some old stock rotors (they were turned once already), and everything fit fine. I like all the pad material, but sometimes I wish they'd make them about 0.5 mm less (have struggle getting stock pads/caliper back together for the same reason). :rolleyes:

Previous to the above solution, I did try sanding them down, but they pads were winning the fight with the belt sander.

One question, I think maybe I glazed the pads with the sander (and unfortunately the stock rotors don't have slots). When bedding them in, the right side was still squeeling. Also, doen't feel like they're hauling down as quick as they should (I have the same XP8 pad my stock calipers).

Thanks again. The calipers are amazingly light and look like they're made extremely well. I'll have to "grind down" the XP12 pads witht the stock rotors as I really want to use my 2-piece on the track (had hoped to have my ducts ready but ran out of time).

Cool! How do you like the difference in feel so far? :)

Do the XP8s have a mirror finish look to them? If not, youre good. If so, sand them with some rougher grit...

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

I think I need to sand the pads by hand to rough them up as the belt sander put a pretty smooth finish on the one set (I only tried it on one side).

I'll wait till they're both bitting good to see how the set up is compared to stock. I love being able to just "drop in pads" from the rear though...schweet.

Are these available for purchase for front and rear? Im about to buy new DBA 4000 and HP+ and some SS lines i am interested in this kit if its available?

Front only. Rears you can upgrade w/ rotors and pads. Total overkill for rear.

Can upgrade fronts from HPS to HP+ at no added charge.

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

• 3 weeks later...

Archived