LegacyGT.com

Where all the Whiskey At?

Inigo Montoya

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stranahan's ... oh how I love thee. Perfectly presented with a dash of water in my snifter. Hints of straw and rust in your warm amber glow. Sweet smell of toasted caramel malt. Your individually numbered batch on hand written labels. I shall enjoy your company this evening, and many nights to come.

Blanton's

Maker's Mark

And if you like the Beam small batch bourbons (Knob Creek, Bookers, Baker's, Basil Hayden) I was always partial to Basil Hayden.

And for a wee bit of the drink from the old sod, either Jameson 1780 or Black Bush depending on whether you are catholic or protestant. Tullamore Dew ain't bad either.

1. Maker's Mark is phenomenal so much so I tend to drink it to easily, quickly.

2. Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey for the higher end.

3. Gentleman Jack is surprisingly smooth, hence the same problem.

4. Evan Williams Green Label=best of the worst.

Tumbler 3 fingers, 2 cubes, mellow for 15 mins at room temp.

Oh BABY

++++++++++++++++Stranahan's

Newer one from Peach Street Distillers just down the road from me: Colorado Straight Bourbon http://www.peachstreetdistillers.com/prod-bourbon.htm

• 3 weeks later...

Oooh, whiskey. I'm a rye guy, I like Old Overholt for general mixing/getting shitfaced, and Michter's 10y for sipping or getting fancy (if I'm getting out the absinthe to make a Sazerac, I'm using the Michter's).

And whisky. I'm a big fan of Laphroiag (or most any other Islay whisky), but I like the occasional Macallan, too. A few years ago I had the pleasure of tasting a 30y Springbank from a friend's collection - that was the most amazingly smooth whisky I've ever come across.

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

some bulleit, or some elmer t. lee...mmmm

either on the rocks, w/club, or in an old-fashioned :dm:

wife loves makers in a high-ball...i think it's too sweet (a la JD)

edit: basil hayden....yum...

anyone see makers is coming w/a new bourbon?

makers 46...fully aged makers is taken out of the barrel, new charred staves are placed in the same barrel, and makers added back in...aged for a few more months...gonna pick up a bottle today :icon_mrgr

sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes...well, he eats you

I like how Jack Daniels rips out my larynx with each sip! None of that "smooth" crap for me. However, I married a dominatrix so that might give you some perspective. :)

:lol:

You're only trying to convince yourself. Get your ass a job (after ski season, of course) and buy some real whiskey! ;)

• 3 months later...

I'm a whisky guy. Blended whisky/whiskey is great for mixing with ginger ale. But, IMHO, if you really want to enjoy whisky it has to be a single malt. I particularly like the Spysides (Balvanie, Macallan, Cragganmore, Glenlevit). I like a lot of the Islay or peaty scotches too.

In the future I would like to try more upscale American Burbons as well as start trying some of the Japanese whiskeys.

• 3 weeks later...
Oh my god. I just bought some Laphrioug Quarter Cask for myself. Now I love Islay scotches, Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Caol Ila. But this stuff is truly amazing. Paid about the same I would for Ardbeg or Talisker, and it blows them out of the water.
"This is an adventure."

• 2 weeks later...

Stumbled across Breckenridge Distillery on my way to go skiing yesterday. They made a very nice Bourbon. I'm not a Vodka guy, but it was also the smoothest Vodka I've ever sampled!

Billed as the world's highest distillery, they brought in a famous Distiller. One of the draws for him was the challenge of distilling at high altitude. I hadn't thought of that before, but I do suspect that adds a different twist on things.

Got myself a bottle from the first bottling of their Bourbon (and another for dad).

Archived