LegacyGT.com

Where all the Whiskey At?

Inigo Montoya

just got me a bottle of macallan cask strength last night:

http://www.greensbeverages.com/spirits/macallan12yr.jpg

got to try this on sat nite with my friend. color was dark and rich but not heavy. strong, full aroma. 58.4% added some water/ice, which brought out tons of flavor. i read some review that gave it a 95 (cragganmore, my fav. usually scores mid-high 80s). here it is: http://www.tastings.com/scout_spirits.lasso?id=168289

anyway, i think this is my new favorite. damn. i paid $54 for the bottle.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this may be a noob question, but couldn't find anything on here or the internet really.

once i open a bottle of single malt, or any whiskey really, does it ever go bad?

wine, for instance, even if left bottled and sealed, will eventually go bad. and once you open a bottle of wine, you should drink the stuff pretty much immediately.

i'm guessing that because of the higher alcohol content in whiskeys, in addition to the distillation process (would essentially kill anything that would skunk it), an open bottle of scotch should last a pretty long time....so an open bottle kept at room temp, regular humidity, cork in cap would last for...months? years?

or, does anyone not really care because whenever they open a bottle of whiskey, its usually gone that same night? :lol:

It will only evaporate - it never goes bad the same way as wine. Whiskey also needs to be in an oak casket to age, so when it's in a bottle it is more or less inert as long as the temperature is decent.

Baileys can go bad, but that's a different business.

453747.png

• 2 weeks later...

i've been a single malt fan and dont mind the blends occasionally (not a snobbish drinker) but lately i'm intrigued by this Stranahan's colorado whiskey and i hv managed to track down a local store that carries it. I gotta pick me up a bottle soon cuz i've been reading wonderful reviews about it.

and i love knob creek

• 4 weeks later...
Do the Dakotas require a warning label on alcohol? Do not imbibe and shoot? :lol:

No they come with a suggestion label. Something to the effect that consuming alcoholic beverages and shooting firearms are a wonderful combination of activities to be enjoyed responsibly.:lol:

Archived