LegacyGT.com

What Makes a Subaru a Subaru

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I assume that we are talking stock Subaru vehicles here. ;)

Yes exactly...that's why I like to keep the exterior as stock as possible to not attract attention.

Price is extremely competitive vs any other wagons on the market. Granted SOA cuts some corners but you can also customize later and get exactly what you want.

Theives don't seem to like Subaru's much and tend to steal Toyotas and Hondas instead. Plus Subaru's are much harder to break-into vs Toyota.

To rouar if you are refering my post road test meaning motor trend, autoweek etc. If not sorry

Not you. :)

I'm saying that I will occasionally recommend people to test drive the car at a dealer, but they won't remotely consider the notion.

hm, let's see. This is what makes a Subaru:

telescoping steering wheel? please, that's the stupidest thing if you want to drive your car for reals and push it. Telescoping wheels are for posers cruising on the freeway with their automatic gearboxes and FWD cars; people that care more about their stereos than how fast they will go around the canyon in the rain.

Respectfully disagree - any knowledgeable driver knows that seating/driving position is a key aspect towards performance driving (you know, two hands at all times at 3 & 9 oclock). For those of us who don't have the ideal combination in terms of arm/leg length ratio, telescoping steering wheels are great.

yes, it works fine for an automatic car; people buy automatic cars to have 'luxury' in the 1st place

Respectfully disagree - any knowledgeable driver knows that seating/driving position is a key aspect towards performance driving (you know, two hands at all times at 3 & 9 oclock). For those of us who don't have the ideal combination in terms of arm/leg length ratio, telescoping steering wheels are great.

yes, it works fine for an automatic car; people buy automatic cars to have 'luxury' in the 1st place
Actually, I replaced an MT A4 for an auto LGT because I got tired of shifting in DC traffic. That said - it was a mistake, never should've gotten an auto :)

However, that still doesn't change any of my thoughts regarding telescoping steering wheels. Manual or Auto, you should always keep two hands on the wheel as much as possible (no ghetto laid back stylez in my ride ;) ).

I think he meant telescopic steering wheel? The kind that you can pull or push to adjust, that most people pull towards them as much as they can and then push their seat back to make it look like they're driving from the ******* backseat.

Actually, I replaced an MT A4 for an auto LGT because I got tired of shifting in DC traffic. That said - it was a mistake, never should've gotten an auto :)

However, that still doesn't change any of my thoughts regarding telescoping steering wheels. Manual or Auto, you should always keep two hands on the wheel as much as possible (no ghetto laid back stylez in my ride ;) ).

I just went through the manual vs. automatic debate here in DC as well.

I decided to go with the auto.

9 times out of 10 I'm glad I made this decision as I crawl through traffic. The other 1 time I'm kicking myself. :)

What did you think of the change from A4 -> LGT? A4 was on my list of options when I purchased, but I couldn't get past the quality control issues.

or maybe one that will tilt closer to level than ours, like the old GM "you too can be a bus driver" tilt action.

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

if you drive a manual car like it should be driven, you will spend most of your time shifting and holding on. There is really no need to use both arms all the time - you are not driving an 18 wheeler :)

Not trusting 5MT drivers with the technical challenges of a Navigation, mp3 audio,HID,bluetooth.

Lack of legroom fore and aft

a plethora of wonderful smells in the cabin

a democgraphic ranging from old folks to lesbians and teenagers

wonderbread brakes, crappy tires, general mod-money spending,

and NOT being able to open ur windows after rain....

....and thumbs up and ugly looks from corvette, 3, 5, a4, a6......drivers is what makes a subaru a subaru

I don't understand why people are complaining about features that were added in later years. Telescoping steering wheel and MP3 / aux jack to name a few - obviously added due to popular request. Maybe they are missing from your car but they are not completely missing from the Legacy line.

Being a few years behind in features compared to competing vehicles is a very valid point, but the lack of a particular feature itself is not if the feature was added at any time.

I do love telescoping wheels would love if my car had it. I actually like being really close to the wheel like when you see the inside shot of a rally or racecar driver, but i have relatively long legs at 6 ft and agressive driving I am great but on the highway or going slow my leg gets tired of holding itself up for a long time when being light on the accelerator

for example I sit with the wheel lower and the seat further up (tilt not telescoping) in our Dodge dakota truck than my father does and hes only 5'6 and has shorter legs than me...

im on the right hes on the left (grandfather's in the middle if somebody's wondering)

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o160/fiidgett/100_3377.jpg

it doesn't make sense how legacy owners can complain about technology not in their cars but in others and still own the car their complaining about! if you want those features so bad why did you buy a subaru in the first place? there is no excuse to it! you have the resources of the internet to know what your getting into!

i personally love my car and the features it does have! anything extra after performance and safety, can be another distraction we don't need on the road!

your car is first and foremost a means of transportation. it gets you from point a to point b. if your complaining about the things your car doesn't have! imagine not having a car! still complaining about things in your car?

It's about trade offs. We're willing to give up some features for good handling and a bulletproof AWD system. We are, however, Americans(mostly) and feel it's our right to bitch about everything:p

the ability to drive its self out of a snow filled ditch... most of the time.

reverse donuts on a sheet of ice.

and being able to go from a stop in rain sleet or snow like its dry out (wonder if the usps has thought of this...)

the ability to drive its self out of a snow filled ditch... most of the time.

reverse donuts on a sheet of ice.

and being able to go from a stop in rain sleet or snow like its dry out (wonder if the usps has thought of this...)

Yes they have. The used to sell RHD postal version Legacies.

A telescoping steering wheel should be an option I guess....I personally think it would be like having the stereo control buttons on the steering wheel, good for some but useless to others and just a weak link in the steering system. Just my 2 cents....And yes, I do alot of wrenching on my own vehicles and do get the steering wheel and interior full of dirt from time to time....Drives the wife nuts!

^atf on d/s, diff on p/s...you probably have the short dinky diff dipstick like me ;)

i forgot all about the windows after the rain; nothing like a cold earful that first rht after you've just trooped through a long gray day -- some decent galleys would have been a treat rather than the design that funnels it right in there :)

Archived