LegacyGT.com

What Makes a Subaru a Subaru

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^ exactly. Wash your hands, energizer gp.

I used to have a tan interior in my chrysler and worked landscaping i would get grime buildup on the wheel but a little leather/vinyl (other wheel was rubber vinly not leather like this one and clean the grime off but buildup on controls gotta be pretty heavy dirt...

hm, let's see. This is what makes a Subaru:

- 4 cylinder boxer engine with turbo

- AWD (one of the best in the business)

- looks and price

- rarity

- ability to buy the car easily under invoice

- unlimited mod potential

- ability to work on your Subaru in your garage

- performance, torque and modded handling

- 2 camps: people either have no idea what a Subaru is or they give it massive respect

- knowledge that you can smoke nearly any car on the road if you wanted to and drive like a grandma shifting at 2000 rpm at the same time; btw with limiter off modded lgt can do over 170mph

- reliability

- how it makes you feel everyday

- quality engineering and miserable advertising in one package

- 5 star safety rating all around

- hood scoop

- rally heritage

- turbo whine/whistle

- ability to make a good stock car exactly what you want it to be by relatively inexpensive modding and get some serious performance

- not being a cop magnet

- STi brand

telescoping steering wheel? please, that's the stupidest thing if you want to drive your car for reals and push it. Telescoping wheels are for posers cruising on the freeway with their automatic gearboxes and FWD cars; people that care more about their stereos than how fast they will go around the canyon in the rain.

legacy is a grown up wrx that hasn't forgotten the good old days from the childhood. best of both worlds

Subaru is probably the only japanese manufacturer that gets my respect. It's an intermediary before you move on to RS4, R8 etc. I seriously don't see myself driving any other car in this price range with all the features listed above. To get something better, you have to look at 45k+ germans. LGT is just the right size for a performance sedan and wagon - not too big and not too small.

Creating a High Performance vehicle with low Performance brakes.

Thats what makes a Subaru A Subaru.

Not sure I agree. I ran an Altima SE-R which is equipped with Brembos and was able to outstop him. We hit the brakes at the same time, were going the same speed, we both had Bridgestones, cars weigh about the same. 18 vs 17-inch wheels though.

how about you know you own a subaru when...

your wife has extracted a pop-it from the laundry...

at minimum, you keep half an exhaust in the garage...

you do half a curl to close your hood...

you have thought at least once at idle: 'omg, i think i have a clot in my thigh'...

you curse the heat in summer, piss gas in winter, and still look forward to the inverse of both during spring and fall...

you are the only non-suv out there during/after the snow...

I don't know how loud or big Greddy EVO2 is, I have Borla and I have no problems. Of course, you have to look out for cops (radar helps as well) and then drive like a true citizen as if you had only 20hp once you see one.

unless you live in VA. ;)

The only reason I say this is because I got pulled over twice in one month for my exhaust (was Greddy EVO2)

It is now stock.

hm, let's see. This is what makes a Subaru:

- 4 cylinder boxer engine with turbo

- AWD (one of the best in the business)

- looks and price

- rarity

- ability to buy the car easily under invoice

- unlimited mod potential

- ability to work on your Subaru in your garage

- performance, torque and modded handling

- 2 camps: people either have no idea what a Subaru is or they give it massive respect

- knowledge that you can smoke nearly any car on the road if you wanted to and drive like a grandma shifting at 2000 rpm at the same time; btw with limiter off modded lgt can do over 170mph

- reliability

- how it makes you feel everyday

- quality engineering and miserable advertising in one package

- 5 star safety rating all around

- hood scoop

- rally heritage

- turbo whine/whistle

- ability to make a good stock car exactly what you want it to be by relatively inexpensive modding and get some serious performance

- not being a cop magnet

- STi brand

telescoping steering wheel? please, that's the stupidest thing if you want to drive your car for reals and push it. Telescoping wheels are for posers cruising on the freeway with their automatic gearboxes and FWD cars; people that care more about their stereos than how fast they will go around the canyon in the rain.

legacy is a grown up wrx that hasn't forgotten the good old days from the childhood. best of both worlds

Subaru is probably the only japanese manufacturer that gets my respect. It's an intermediary before you move on to RS4, R8 etc. I seriously don't see myself driving any other car in this price range with all the features listed above. To get something better, you have to look at 45k+ germans. LGT is just the right size for a performance sedan and wagon - not too big and not too small.

Absolutely -- and I don't even have the turbo; I agree 100%.

To the ones who complain about the brakes -- huh? I can invoke the anti-lock brakes on my car during a panic stop. That means that my tires are the weak link, not the brakes. And you GT folks have bigger brakes than I have in my 2.5i Ltd. The stock pads definitely cause buildup that causes vibration -- but that doesn't mean they don't have stopping power. My brakes have lasted 40k miles and I'm going aftermarket when I replace them.

A panic stop in my wife's '04 Camry SE is an exercise in fear -- the car plunges forward and the tires skid. The dealer calls that "normal". For its class and its weight, the stock brakes on the Legacy are very good.

Please stop calling the Legacy a luxury car. It's not. It's a near-luxury car -- you're trading luxury features for AWD. Just because the car has leather, heated seats and dual ACC doesn't mean you can compare it to BMW, Audi, Cadillac, & Merc. A Legacy GT can be had for under $30k; I bought mine for under $25k. Virtually any true luxury car worth buying is over $35k.

I don't know how loud or big Greddy EVO2 is, I have Borla and I have no problems. Of course, you have to look out for cops (radar helps as well) and then drive like a true citizen as if you had only 20hp once you see one.

Greddy EVO2 is very similar to Perrin

Very loud....especially with headers

you need the winking jesus statue on the dashboard...problem solved. who in their right mind could ticket the winking jesus...? he just makes you feel better about yourself. rocking hoola skirt may cost extra...

go to your local police department and donate $50. They will give you a small sticker that says you support cops. Put it on your rear bumper. 99% of cops after that won't give you any tickets.

Greddy EVO2 is very similar to Perrin

Very loud....especially with headers

* a radio that when you turn off still displays CD lights

* drivers side mag holder missing

* whats the deal with the glove box? is it that important that we keep the owners manual in the car all the time?

we are not talking about raw stopping power we Are talking resistance to fade. The brakes are great on the first several uses after that hang on. Look at most road tests 60 to 0 braking distance increases substantially with each concurrent test. While this is true for all systems the Subaru's as noted by the testers is close to the worse for a car with its level of performance.

Despite your recommendations to merely test drive the car, people still don't remotely consider it or acknowledge your recommendation.

(Most recently got this on another forum where someone is looking for a car, the LGT fit all his requirements like a glove.)

The brakes on the Legacy are not terrible, but they can be better. Before the Legacy I drove a 1994 Ford Taurus and 2005 Honda Accord. The (original!) breaks on the Taurus were plain scary! I had two panic stops in that car, one in the rain. The one on dry pavement wasn't too bad but the one in the rain was probably the second scariest moment I've ever had driving. I was sure that the car wasn't going to stop in time. Luckily, it did.

The brakes on the Honda Accord are the best brakes I've ever used. Period. I was a little disappointed that the Legacy 2.5i, which is a more powerful car, had lower quality brakes than an old Honda. When they are due for a replacement, I will certainly go aftermarket and upgrade them.

people complaining about the brakes: spend a little money and replace brake pads (at least the fronts). Replacing brake lines with stainless steel ones and better brake fluid will help even further - problem solved.

Archived