LegacyGT.com

2009 Subaru Impreza line changes?

trust me you can get better real world gas milage than subaru says and as for performance well lets just say if the 09 fxt had a manual transmission i would pick that ( its my wifes car)

I like the utility of the WRX hatchback, it's more than I'd ever need. My issues are - no navigation in the automatic WRX, the cheap plastic doors with no inserts, the 4EAT (at least offer generic paddle shifters to make it easier to swallow). Stepping up to a Forester XT would correct most of this, but - I don't actually need the added weight, added size, loss in performance/handling, and the hit in gas mileage that comes along with an SUV.

Gas Mileage:

2008 WRX: 20/25 (with automatic)

2009 FXT: 19/24

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Spill the beans! You don't work for SOA

True, I do not work or have any sort of affiliation with Subaru, plus this is just word of mouth, which should be taken with a grain of salt.

I heard (whether this is true or not I dunno now for sure) that the current 2008 Impreza WRX will become the 2009 Impreza S-GT and will remain identical to the 2008 with just a badge change and some very minor tweaks. 2009 Impreza WRX might be getting the powertrain from the current and soon to be completely redesigned Legacy GT.

That's what I heard by word of mouth. I dunno how true this is, but it seemed fairly logical and the source was pretty good.

Please contact me ASAP via PM if this post/thread needs to be removed.

wow...

Impreza is getting some attention

S-GT (or just GT) auto with low power turbo

WRX with mandatory MT, with Legacy GT power, or even better, and agressive tweaks.

I hope the 09 Legacy GT gets 265hp stock. If it still gets the 247 rating (whatever the new SAE rating is...) then that will suck that the WRX gets more stock HP than the Legacy GT.

Legacy GT doesn't get agressive appearance tweaks, either. Aside from wheels and a hood scoop, most people couldn't tell the difference between a 2.5i and 2.5GT.

fantastic.

Red headed step child, AGAIN.

Good thing I like redheads.

It's just that it's a stop-gap model year. The WRX will probably be deputing (and working out kinks) of Legacy's all-new engine. At least that's what I hope so. Does this mean the new Legacy will get an even more powerful 275-300ish 2.5T? That would be nice.

I hope so...

but 2009 isn't going to benefit from that.

Plus, the '10 Legacy is going to be built at SIA, like the current one. Under SOA's purview.

05-09 Legacy in NorAm != 04-09 Legacy in Japan and ROW.

I have a feeling that the '10 Legacy is going to be similar in product details, even if it does get a more powerful engine... I guess we'll have to wait and see.

It just keeps coming to the forefront that the non-US produced models get more and more trim lines, features, or options, and the US models get fewer and fewer, with justification of "decreased cost and complexity." Why do subarus built in Japan not suffer the same fate?

It's just that it's a stop-gap model year.

Likely no further changes until the 2011 model year. Only minor things for the 2010 model year, as the Legacy/Outback will be debuting next year.

Does this mean the new Legacy will get an even more powerful 275-300ish 2.5T? That would be nice.

Possibly ;)

I have a feeling that the '10 Legacy is going to be similar in product details, even if it does get a more powerful engine... I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Well, if the current Impreza sedan is very close in size to the current Legacy, there is only one way the next Legacy can go...

A new 265hp WRX totally puts the product line out of whack.

The Impreza sedan now has more passenger volume, is lighter and has more power...

I thought the LGT was the flagship sedan?

However, this news is not a shocker considering the WRX was getting its ass kicked in every comparo under the sun.

Now lets see if Subaru was smart enough to use the Mazdaspeed3 as a reference point.

I think it's likely that there will be some "updates" for the '10. MY10 would be the last MY for the current gen in the US so SOA will have to come up with something to help move it. The 2007 STI got the Limited treatment for the first time so maybe the MY10 LGT would get some interior and exterior tweaks. I wonder if the '09 WRX is getting a new turbo or is Subaru just tapping into it's potential by retuning.

Rumors are the new gen. Legacy will come to Japan and U.S. at the same time. USDM MY2010 should be the new gen.

I think it's uncertain there still would be a turbo in Legacy. We may see the NA H6 3.6L in Legacy.

we should be happy the LGT is even going to be back for another model cycle. as for the wrx, it needs these tweaks to be sellable, you cant give them away in there current condition.

I thought from the sales numbers the Impreza is selling pretty well... I think the power bump is an preemptive strike against the 240 hp Ralliart.

I thought from the sales numbers the Impreza is selling pretty well... I think the power bump is an preemptive strike against the 240 hp Ralliart.

And the thrashing the Mazdaspeed3 dishes out at will...

Rumors are the new gen. Legacy will come to Japan and U.S. at the same time. USDM MY2010 should be the new gen.

I think it's uncertain there still would be a turbo in Legacy. We may see the NA H6 3.6L in Legacy.

I don't think it's uncertain, but maybe the turbo model will be reserved for a Spec B only type of model, where the top of the line Legacy will be a 3.6L H6.

I like this news. I like that the WRX will be MT only, no offense to you auto lubbers. I pride Subaru in offering some of their most powerful models in only MT. Though, I definately, 100% think that there is room and a big market for a Spec. B with a DSG.

Hopefully, this WRX will be 6MT.

So this 265 HP model, could it be the current 2.5L turbo setup but with direct fuel injection?

And why would they call it the Impreza GT? Why not the Impreza RS?

Well, if the current Impreza sedan is very close in size to the current Legacy, there is only one way the next Legacy can go...

I meant product details, like integrated audio that is unreplaceable, lack of model differentiation, crazy detail modifications, like tail light differences, short list of available colors, few options that are either mandatory on some models, or unavailable on others...

those sort of product details that apply to NorAm, not the rest of the world. Impreza in the US is not so micromanaged, because it is built in Japan, not under SOA's purview in Indiana.

I think we all know that the Legacy is likely to grow in size. Which could be decent, or it could be less than desirable.

The new Mazda6 for the US is bigger than the Camry. The ROW Atenza/6 is smaller, like the Legacy is now, and the previous 6. The ROW version also looks better.

It is hard to believe that Legacy won't follow suit, or get larger for all markets, with more diversity of options overseas.

Wow Subaru sounds like they really listened to the enthusiast's and trying to fix the debacle the the new WRX has been....hopefully they learn from these mistakes and get the new Legacy done right the first time... I wouldn't mind a little more room but not too much bigger. I had a new Accord for a rental car in Florida this week on vacation and it was like driving a tank!

HELL YA they got rid of the white interior!!!!

2010 Legacy in U.S. should be the all-new or 5th Gen Legacy. Hopefully, we'll see the 5th Gen out of Japan next year as this year is the last of their 5-year cycle (2004-2009) for the 4th Gen.

Agree with Mike - the Legacy can only go up in size, but believe the "how much" restriction will be due to the overall dimensions that will work in Japan, not what is expected in the U.S. Then the ROW will be built accordingly. Just my thoughts.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

None that we know of. According to posts on Nabisco, the Impreza and STI were selling well. It was only the WRX that wasn't. Also, the WRX's competitors outperform it, so they had to do something. The STI's main competitor, the EVO, hasn't changed yet, so the STI probably won't change (aside from the rumor of a possible dual-clutch tranny for '09, but that's an old rumor that hasn't had any confirmation lately).

I would guess that the Legacy is going to change as a result, since the Legacy had been positioned between the WRX and STI power-wise. With the WRX getting a boost, I wouldn't be surprised if the Legacy GT goes to around 300 (in 2010).

I think I'm yet to read a review where the STi beat the EVO on the track, so for that reason I'm kinda surprised they aren't upping it a bit.

Although with the WRX becoming even closer now to the STi I wonder how consumers will react.

Do we have any ideas what the price difference between the more powerful WRX and the STI are?

Archived