LegacyGT.com

30k Mile Service What Should I do?

Wanted to poll the group and determine what services I should look to get done at 30k miles. Some help would be appreciated. I have inserted the recommendations from Subaru, thoughts? Is there anything I should do in addition?

MAINTENANCE DETAILS

Vehicle: 2006 LEGACY 2.5GT LTD SPEC B

Interval: 30000 miles / 30 month service

Action Description Recommended Inspection Fuel systems, lines and connections

Inspect Drive belt(s) [Except camshaft]

Inspect Camshaft drive belt

Replace Engine oil

Replace Engine oil filter

Perform Replace engine coolant and inspect cooling system, hoses and connections

Replace Air cleaner element

Inspect Transmission/Differential (Front & Rear) lubricants (Gear oil)

Inspect Automatic transmission fluid

Replace Brake fluid

Inspect Disc brake pads and discs, front and rear axle boots and axle shaft joint portions

Inspect Brake linings and drums Perform

Inspect brake lines and check operation of parking and service brake system

Inspect Clutch operation

Inspect Steering and suspension

Perform Rotate and Inspect Tires

Follow the recommended service listed in your owners manual only. Dealers always add services not needed by the manufacturer to boost the price. For my wife's Grand Cherokee 30K service the dealer told her it was 1k. I kid you not.:mad:

I sent an email to Chrysler complaining about this dealers tactics and will never use those thiefs again.

Doing mine tomorrow, here's what I'm doing:

Got an oil change at the dealership last weekend. That included a checklist inspection of the entire car that they gave to me.

Tomorrow I will replace the air filter, coolant, transmission fluid, and rear diff fluid. Put on the summer tires (rotated from when I took them off) and call it a day.

All said and done it will end up <$100.

I've wrenched on jeeps, changing diff fluids/ tranny fluid...etc. i imagine the 05LGT's are within my capabilities

i think my 36k service manual said i need to change the tranny fluid, coolant, brake fluid, and diff fluids...

anyone know if SOA requires a specific brand of any of the above mentioned fluids?

Some dealers 30k are based off the maintenance guide as well and some are not.

If you look at the owners guide it doesn't tell you when to change the tranny fluid. It will tell you if you are in a severe service to change every 15k. We just do it at 30k.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

I've noticed that several local Subaru dealers charge considerably more for a 30,000 mile service than Toyota, Nissan, etc., and yet the services seem to be quite similar in what is performed. What is so special about Subarus to justify such an increase in 30,000 mile service costs?

With my 30K coming up within the next few months I was thinking about this as well.

There are about 5 dealers within 45 mins. from me, so I think I'll get some quotes before even thinking about making the appt.

I'd like to do it myself, however lack of time and space has me falling back on the dealer lately. Brought the car last change to the dealer for "level II" service and it cost me $45, I could have done it myself for $20. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
i have an 05 obxt with 25k miles coming up on 30 k within a few months (running tip top knock on wood) just wondering how the stealership will try to rake me over the coals since its a turbo. i appreciate your responses in advance. thanks. what should be done as opposed to the extra stuff they are gonna try to sell me?

I've noticed that several local Subaru dealers charge considerably more for a 30,000 mile service than Toyota, Nissan, etc., and yet the services seem to be quite similar in what is performed. What is so special about Subarus to justify such an increase in 30,000 mile service costs?

I can't speak for every other dealer, but it mainly depends on what they are doing and other factors. When I worked for a Toyota dealer we did drain and fills for just transmission and coolant(did not change brake fluid) changed the oil, just rotated tires(balancing tires was extra) and put in a new air filter and no spark plugs.

Now working for a Subaru dealer, all of my 30k's we flush the coolant, transmission(unless it is a manual) and brake fluid rather than a drain and fill plus other services. Some Subaru's get plugs @ 30k, some do not. Some dealer do drain and fills though. I don't disclose the price for my service's publicly, but do it pretty much off the maintenance guide.

I'd like to do it myself, however lack of time and space has me falling back on the dealer lately. Brought the car last change to the dealer for "level II" service and it cost me $45, I could have done it myself for $20.
So because you do not have time to do the work, you comment because you are paying an extra $20 for something that you could have done, but didn't?:lol:
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Being that I'm due for the 30k service too, I recently looked into my dealer's 30k service.....$794.54! That does include more than what is the Subaru recommended 30k service, but still.

I'll be doing the a la carte method and pick and choose the things I want the dealer to do, and I'll do the rest.....I can certainly change my air filter for less than the $32.53 they charge. :rolleyes:

Damn! I charge around half of that for our 30k. Tell them you want to only do what is listed in the maintenance plan.

• 2 months later...

The dealership where I bought my car (Chaplin's, for you locals) just quoted me $605 for the 30k service.

I'm going to go back and see what's different between what they're going to do and what Subaru recommends....

I hope it comes with a hand job... Good god, $$605, seems awfully high to me. I just negotiated mine down to $300, and told them to skip the Air filter as I have a K/N. Sometimes I just loath dealerships, they must be crazy.:spin:

The dealership where I bought my car (Chaplin's, for you locals) just quoted me $605 for the 30k service.

I'm going to go back and see what's different between what they're going to do and what Subaru recommends....

Archived