LegacyGT.com

ALL 08/09 LGT, OBXT, FXT and STI OWNERS!!!!!

AKLGT

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BTW if it doesnt affect US cars, who else has the 2.5 Turbo engines? Japan market and I think majority of asia only gets the 2.0 Turbo engines. I thought only North American got the 2.5L right?

This is a direct quote from a letter that was sent from SOA to dealers today (4/7):

The reason for this immediate Quality Assurance action is that there have been several reports of “Engine Knocking Noise” from other markets on vehicles produced after the production dates listed.

I'd also be interested to know which 'other markets' is SOA referring to. I may try calling 'em tomorrow.:)

I also have to chime in and echo what other dealers who have forum presence have been saying...dealers don't know much about this issue yet. Do not call them expecting answers just yet.

Thanks A.K.

FYI - Wife got the LGT tinted today....looks sick :) Do all LGTs have a black tinted strip across the front windshield at the top? It comes down to the level of the rear-view mirror mount....I don't remember it being there before....lol :)

I've never heard of a manufacturer issuing a stop sale on an engine across an entire brand, especially when there are hot new models like the STI, Forester, and even the WRX (and of course the LGT, which doesn't sell like it's hot...).

I imagine that to do so requires tremendous concern at the highest levels and recognition that significant action will need to be taken to rectify and they want to stop the bleeding. Either that, or enough cases have been reported to show that a serious flaw but they are still investigating.

Since they issued a specific build date/VIN #, I imagine the flaw has been identified but the fix is being resolved. It'd be nice to know what the flaw is....

This engine is, what, 6 years old now in the U.S. in some form or another? In the LGT, it's 4 years old. What the hell could they have changed in February of it's 4th year to have caused a significant issue across all models with this engine....the engine calibration is different on all of them, different turbos, lots of different internals....

and it causes knock...

I'm no expert, but I'm guessing ignition related or fuel delivery related. And a common part on all of the affected models (think about how many incidents had to occur, across all the models, for this stop-sale to be ordered for all of them...).

Going to be interesting. :)

Joe

Alright, each dealer received a list this afternoon for all VINs affected by the issue. Thankfully mine is not on that list, in fact NO VINs were on the list to my dealership so we are all good to go. :)
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Alright, each dealer received a list this afternoon for all VINs affected by the issue. Thankfully mine is not on that list, in fact NO VINs were on the list to my dealership so we are all good to go. :)

do u mean each dealer gets a list of the VINs of teh affected cars they sold?

BTW if it doesnt affect US cars, who else has the 2.5 Turbo engines? Japan market and I think majority of asia only gets the 2.0 Turbo engines. I thought only North American got the 2.5L right?
We have the 2.5 turbo in our WRXs, Liberty (Legacy), Forry and STi.

Australia.

Not sure which other markets have them, but heard nothing out of the ordinary happening here with motors destroying themselves.

Tim

do u mean each dealer gets a list of the VINs of teh affected cars they sold?

Yes. The original Bulletin that I posted on Friday was very broad while they tried to pin point which VIN vehicles were actually affected. So if you purchased yours with a build date mentioned in the 1st post, call your dealer's service dept and have them check the list. Remember, some dealers may not have the list yet or haven't gone to look for it. Because I'm married to ours, I get a lot of the info as quickly as they get it (and because hubby doesn't want me blowing up the new car). :lol:

eh. typical nasioc rumors.

last time i ever actual believe them douchebags.

The fabricated 'second' announcement at http://www.iwsti.com/forums/1798395-post88.html, based on SOA's original announcement on Apr 4, was designed to panic even more people by expanding the VIN and date ranges. Soon it was flying around the internet forums, including NASIOC. Eventually NASIOC collected enough evidence to conclude the IWSTI " second announcement" was a forgery. And today's announcement from SOA vindicates that conclusion.

;1821684']The fabricated 'second' announcement at http://www.iwsti.com/forums/1798395-post88.html' date=' based on SOA's original announcement on Apr 4, was designed to panic even more people by expanding the VIN and date ranges. Soon it was flying around the internet forums, including NASIOC. Eventually NASIOC collected enough evidence to conclude the IWSTI " second announcement" was a forgery. And today's announcement from SOA vindicates that conclusion.[/quote']

exactly. If I really wanted to push the issue and "see for my own eyes" I can trot into the dealership's service dept and just ask.

;1821684']The fabricated 'second' announcement at http://www.iwsti.com/forums/1798395-post88.html' date=' based on SOA's original announcement on Apr 4, was designed to panic even more people by expanding the VIN and date ranges. Soon it was flying around the internet forums, including NASIOC. Eventually NASIOC collected enough evidence to conclude the IWSTI " second announcement" was a forgery. And today's announcement from SOA vindicates that conclusion.[/quote']

Did they tar and feather the IWSTI kid who fabricated the forgery?

Whoa. Did I miss something? Does this mean my currently-being-assembled-LGT order placed on March 10th is potentially free and clear of issues??

it appears it's affecting other markets, not USDM. ;) So unless you've moved from NE to Okinawa, appears you should be ok.

How do you know what the build date is? Is it that mm/yy thing on the driver's door sticker, with the barcode? Good thing outbacks sit on lots forever here in southern california, hopefully mine is old enough to have missed this.

Yeah, I'm a little confused now....there was a logical jump in there somewhere and I didn't follow along :)

It sounds to me like LGTs in the US after a certain build date (around end of february) are still suspect, as well as other 2.5 liter turbo cars built after that date...

Am I incorrect in this? I see their may have been a forgery, but it still seems as if my car is under suspicion...

Joe

You are confused because every Tom, Dick and Harry has commented on it when they may not even know what they are talking about. I posted an update to the affected vehicle's yesterday to include the Legacy line from when I logged onto Subarunet.

2.5GT- LTD (222825 or later)

2.5GT-B (222958 or later)

2.5outback XT (353835 or later)

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

the dealer is checking on the VIN# of the car they are getting for me. hopefully its not affected.

You are confused because every Tom, Dick and Harry has commented on it when they may not even know what they are talking about. I posted an update to the affected vehicle's yesterday to include the Legacy line from when I logged onto Subarunet.

correct. what he said.

however, someone in the Nasioc forums brought up a very good point yesterday about the letter containing VINs affected. They asked if it were ones in inventory ONLY or if it contained VINs of sold vehicles too. If it only shows the VINs of inventory, then since mine is no longer in their system, it would not show up. I'll stop by the dealership this morn on my way into work.

correct. what he said.

however, someone in the Nasioc forums brought up a very good point yesterday about the letter containing VINs affected. They asked if it were ones in inventory ONLY or if it contained VINs of sold vehicles too. If it only shows the VINs of inventory, then since mine is no longer in their system, it would not show up. I'll stop by the dealership this morn on my way into work.

I received an email Saturday from my FSM regarding how many vehicles in our inventory(not sold) that fall into the affected vehicle vin list.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Archived